Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmass Lights

• 10-11-2008 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

Anyone think its still a tad early? Now being in the retail trade I can understand the City wanting to Increase Revenue around Unfortunately they don't come up as far as steven street. think I'll put some up!

Have people started Their Shopping yet? We only did up our Christmass offers today like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bah Humbug!

I cant even bear to think about it.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

it is a bit early but I am in favour of antyhing that brightens up the city centre and makes it a bit more cheerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

robtri wrote: »
    it is a bit early but I am in favour of antyhing that brightens up the city centre and makes it a bit more cheerful.

Good point, I always feel its kinda errie down around the catherdral with those Blue lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

I heard on the radio yesterday that they turned on the Christmas lights in Dublin 3 weeks earlier to encourage people to spend money !
    1, Money people dont have at the moment with over 2000 people a week in Ireland signing on. 2, So thats what Christmas is all about !
    So is that what they are planning to do in Waterford too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I've started the shopping already but to be honest I'm broke so I needed to start early anyway and there are offers about at the moment. That said the shops have been decorated with Christmas stuff since before Hallowe'en even passed which I find atrocious.

I hate the lights going up so bloody early. I don't even like putting the tree up that early. And the blue ones are nice...the rest need to never have been put up in red square...it's just a mess now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

Im going christmas shopping on friday but I like to do it early so I dont have to deal with all the crowds at 3 pm on a sat afternoon. I hate crowds, shopping and especially chrtistmas shopping.

I am going to put up my lights and decorations on the 17th of dec. I have a day off that day and i always buy a real tree so i dont want it looking sh!te on christmas day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

sorrywhat wrote: »
    Im going christmas shopping on friday but I like to do it early so I dont have to deal with all the crowds at 3 pm on a sat afternoon. I hate crowds, shopping and especially chrtistmas shopping.

Same here. Thats why I have it all done online already :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Whatfor

With all the doom and gloom around it is nice to see some xmas cheer coming into the town.
    Get all the lights on fast. I love the Xmas atmosphere even if it is earlier every year.
    Fed up of dark nights and nothing on the box. Can't wait to get me pressies even though I'm nearly 50

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

its getting earlier and earlier each yeah, why not scrub Halloween altogether and just put up all the Christmas stuff in September :rolleyes:

Its nothing but a commercial activity at this stage,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its nothing but a commercial activity at this stage,

thats exactly what it is and everyone who was involved ins etting up the lights early this year has said so, they turned on lights to encourage more shopping.... it was a decision by the city council based on economics...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

robtri wrote: »
    thats exactly what it is and everyone who was involved ins etting up the lights early this year has said so, they turned on lights to encourage more shopping.... it was a decision by the city council based on economics...

Yup. Same as Dublin. Sure it was said on the 6 oclock news a few weeks ago that they are asking people to shop at home rather then go abroad to shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Sure they even said it on the news the weekend that they were being turned on specifically for that and the shops were bringing in decorations earlier too for that purpose. I laughed at how brazen they were but it makes sense.

And as for skipping Hallowe'en. altogether (sobs at mere thought) Penny's do it. And you just know they'd be good for a bargain :(

I also get the food shopping done early because it's still in it's 30% off phase in november in tesco :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭deiseff

I have my shoping done since September!! Vouchers all the way, cant beat them!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »
    Yup. Same as Dublin. Sure it was said on the 6 oclock news a few weeks ago that they are asking people to shop at home rather then go abroad to shop

problem is that won't work while things remain expensive in Ireland, why buy an item for 600e in Ireland when you can get it for 300e in New York? :)

Advertisement