Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Cistren Diaphramg

Options
  • 10-11-2008 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

First off, sorry for any and all mis-spelling.

I need to change the diaphrang a toilet. So I know to turn off the water, remove the "diaphramg housing", fecked if I can remember the name of it and remove and replace the diaphramg. Problem is the toilet is a Armitage Shanks and the Cistren seem to be connected directly tot he toilet bowl and I am unable to un-join these. There are 2 wing nuts under the cistern and the inside of the cistern the "D-H" is siliconed to the botom of the Cistern.

How do I take these apart to remove the "D-H"?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

With great difficultly possibley.

I spent two hours today changing a siphon in a close couple toilet.
    Firstly I couldn't shut off water as valve was letting by so had to drain down tank.
    secondly the nuts and bolts holding cistern on bowl were completely rusted up and had to be cut off with the blade of a hack saw.

It was a real pain.

When you do change siphon, change for one that you can take apart in future without having to take cistern off toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

First off if you can take a picture of the inside cistern; it will help the boy’s in the shop in identifying the right part.
    Secondly although you may have to buy a whole unit; you might be ably to exchange part of the unit; without taking the cistern apart; and without having to turn the water off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Ok, I need to change the Diaphragm in the Syphon, amazing what comes to you when sitting in traffic!!! I have looked at a syohon in B&Q and know how to change the actual diaphramg, but I am unable to remove the syphon from the cystern. The old type bowl and cystern set up would have been a pipe between the 2, however the toilet I have has the bowl designed to take the cistern directly connected to the bowl. I will take some pic's tonight and upload them.

Right here are 2 pictures, the first is from under the cistern showing the wing bolt and no acess to the bottom of the syphon. the second is the internal of the cistern showing the syphon. I have been told that these come apart to allow changing of diaphramgs, but mine does not. It is one moulded piece witht he green cap welded into position.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You are as well off to change the whole syphon.

1 turn off water feeding toilet (cold water valve should be in hot press)
    2 disconnect feed pipe to toilet cistern
    3 unscrew wing nuts that hold cistern to bowl (should be easy no rust on your ones ;))
    4 unscrew two screws that hold cistern to wall
    5 lift cistern off toilet and empty in shower tray or bath
    6 unscrew lever arm from handle
    7 remove donut sealing washer from bottom of cistern (around syphon)
    8 Unscrew back nut from syphon and remove.
    9 replace syphon, buy some plumbers mait sealeant or silicone and seal well both sides, before you put on back nut, make sure and place clamping plate back on and make sure you put on the donut washer again.
    10 Do points 1 to 6 again in reverse order :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Unfortunately for you I agree with Mick
    Just to add replace it with a type that can be dismantled without having to take the whole unit apart next time

Cheers for that Mick, I had hoped to be able to change the Diaphramg becasue I can feel under the syphon and touch the diaphramg plate. Looks like I will be busy Saturday morning. It's the best jacks in the house for having a read!!!

Advertisement