Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is cheaper?

• 10-11-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me with this problem: My house is centrally heated by gas, but sometimes I occupy the sitting room only. Would it be cheaper to turn off the gas and use the fireplace? And if so, which is cheaper, coal or wood or something else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Can anyone help me with this problem: My house is centrally heated by gas, but sometimes I occupy the sitting room only. Would it be cheaper to turn off the gas and use the fireplace? And if so, which is cheaper, coal or wood or something else?

I dont know which is cheaper but maybe you could turn off the rads in rooms your not in. It would save you money on your gas bill anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd be with d3mon24 on this. This turn off the rads in the rooms you don't use. Your gas boiler would be the best to just heat the sitting room as ~90% of the heat from an open fire goes up the chimney and your gas boiler would be running in the 70%+ efficiency range, assumiung it's serviced. You will also be heating your hot water doing this so won't need to use the immersion heater.

If you do go with the open fire it really depends where you live whats cheaper and also if you like flames or heat. The smokeless coal( or whatever it is now) give great heat, if left alone, but no flames while timber or smoky coal give flames and less heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm in the same situation...
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Your gas boiler would be the best to just heat the sitting room as ~90% of the heat from an open fire goes up the chimney and your gas boiler would be running in the 70%+ efficiency range, assumiung it's serviced.

90%! wow didn't think it'd be that high, pity I quite like having the fire on:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

90% loss is exceptionally high, but it can actually go over 100% where you are drawing more warm air from the house than the fire is producing.

If you want to burn coal and wood efficiently you will need a multi-fuel stove. These are efficient as they only take in enough air to suport combustion. They also produce much less pollution because the fire is burning hotter and because you are using less fuel (but still more pollution than gas).

BTW coal will be cheaper than wood unless you can buy the wood by the trailerload and have somewhere to allow it to dry properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

The irish building regulations detail how we should have proper heating controls to provide heat in your living area at a different times and tempreatures to the remainder of the house.....

but no body told the plumbers/ electricians....

stove is the best type. go for properly tested stove >72% efficiency.

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Is it safe/advisable to maybe put in some tin foil at the back of the gas fire to reflect more of the heat into the room?

Is it safe/advisable to maybe put in some tin foil at the back of the gas fire to reflect more of the heat into the room?

It's never safe/advisable to mess with a gas fire if you don't know what you are doing. You may block a vent or some other important part. Look at getting the gas fire serviced, they can tell you if it's working OK or if you need an new one to get better heat output.

what if it were a stove not an open fire?
    and the stove was hooked up to the radiators?
    im thinkin of doing this for my parents

what if it were a stove not an open fire?
    and the stove was hooked up to the radiators?
    im thinkin of doing this for my parents

Couldn't answer better:D
    blackbox wrote: »
    If you want to burn coal and wood efficiently you will need a multi-fuel stove. These are efficient as they only take in enough air to suport combustion. They also produce much less pollution because the fire is burning hotter and because you are using less fuel (but still more pollution than gas).

BTW coal will be cheaper than wood unless you can buy the wood by the trailerload and have somewhere to allow it to dry properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 thepoolgirl

Can anyone help as I'm confused,don't take a lot lol :D
    If you have oil fired central heating will the property have an open fire?
    Cos the price of oil is expensive,I prefer an open fire as its cheaper.

• Advertisement

Can anyone help as I'm confused,don't take a lot lol :D
    If you have oil fired central heating will the property have an open fire?
    Cos the price of oil is expensive,I prefer an open fire as its cheaper.

Depends on if you have a chimeny or not. If you have a chimeny in the house then you should be able to have an open fire, make sure open fires are allowed and it's not just a for a gas/oil stove. While a open fire may be cheaper, you'r only heating 1 room in the house and the rest of it may get damp. Your better off turning down/off the rads in the rooms you don't want to heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 thepoolgirl

Its a new property that i'm thinking of renting,not been to look at it yet but seen photos of the living room,From what i can see the fire is eleltric i think.

Del2005 wrote: »
    the rest of it may get damp. Your better off turning down/off the rads in the rooms you don't want to heat.

Wont that lead to the same problem with the damp then?

Wont that lead to the same problem with the damp then?

Forgot to put in that you should rotate the heating of rooms to manage damp.

Advertisement