Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Home Audio Streaming Solutions

• 10-11-2008 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Anybody got any experience with any of the home audio streaming solutions on offer at the moment?

I was looking into the Sonos system now that it can be controlled from the iPod touch, but man that rig is pricey..

Logitech Squeezebox seems to be a cheaper alternative and scores quite good in online reviews...

Thoughts/experience anybody?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I've a Sonos and you're right it is expensive, though much cheaper now with iPhone control. I'd say that technically the Sonos is more advanced than Squeezebox i.e. mesh network vs. client/server. The CS model used by Squeezebox can swamp your wifi bandwidth as you add zones. Also you need to install server software on the box where your music is stored (SqueezeCenter?) and if you are streaming from a NAS then very few NAs devices support this. Sonos on the other hand just uses SMB to access a NAs which they aall support. Also the Squeezebox user interface sucks when compared to Sonos.

MT

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ive done multi zone Sonas installs. Its a good system but the mesh can be be hit and miss in some houses. It operates on 2.4Ghz which is the same as most wireless routers so you can still degrade your sonos/home lan perfomance using the mesh. Its features are great and its very simple to use.

The price of the Squeezebox is very attractive. You can almost do your whole house for the price of sonos is one room. As well as that you can put Squeeze Box Boom's in some rooms and control them wirelessly or physically. The NAS side of things is a bit of a downside but you can get around it but does require someone farirly technical.

Some nice offers at the moment on the Sonos web site in the run up to Christmas.

Rew wrote: »
    It operates on 2.4Ghz which is the same as most wireless routers so you can still degrade your sonos/home lan perfomance using the mesh.

In my experience, if you dedicate a wireless channel to Sonos it works flawlessly. I've my multi-zone Sonos on channel 1, my wifi VoIP handset on channel 11, and everything else including 2 laptops and 2 cell phones on channel 6. Notwithstanding that distance and signal barriers can still be a problem in some installs.

MT

Advertisement