Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

un-registered puppy

Options
  • 10-11-2008 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm hoping to get a puppie this week-end after seeing an advertisment in the newspaper. Everything sounds good, the dog is a pure-bred west highland and has got its first vaccination. Both parents can also be seen and are both registered. The breeder if offering us the dog un-registered. We questioned this and he said it was too much trouble but that he could do it but it would cost another 100euro and would take a good while longer. We are leaning towards just taking the pup un-registered as we never plan on breeding the dog. Is this a bad idea???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If your never planning on breeding it, or showing it and the papers don't worry you either way, then yes buying this puppy is a bad idea, why?.

Because the pounds are full of beautiful puppies waiting for rescues.

I'll let other's deal with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

this puppy is already here in this world so does he not deserve a good home too???

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bring it on!!!

I do appreciate that it would be nice to go to the pound but I have already looked into that. I love west highland dogs and that is the type of dog i have decided to get. I had one a few years ago that died and so want one again. I'm not aware of there being many west highlands in pounds. I did contact a westhighland rescue centre and I'm actually on a waiting list but this pup has come up for sale just down the road from me. Hope you now understand?
    So besides from your other complaints, not having the pup registered isn't a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi,

it all depends how much he wants for the unregistered pup. And it doesn't cost 100 Euros to have a pup registered with the KC. I think something fishy is going on but then I am suspicious by nature when it comes to breeders. You will have no guarantee that the adult dogs you will see ARE actually the parents and that your pup isn't from a dodgy pairing (brother x sister etc). If you pay good money to get a purebred pup then you might as well geta *proper* one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Check the papers on the parents, make sure they are not too closely related.

Check the bitch very closely to see if she is indeed the mother, see if the pups are still suckling.

Make sure the have been thoroughly checked by a vet and are vaccinated and wormed to date.
    I would guess all of this will not be done and all of that plus ikc reg he is estimating at €100.

The registration is not important but all the rest is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Maureen Byrne, Westie Rescue - 086 8200010

I would be highly suspicious of a breeder that isn't bothered registering a pup like this. I would wonder if they are producing more than the allowed number of litters per year or if the parents are older than they should be.

The problem with giving money to unscupulous breeders is that it just encourages them to produce more puppies in less than desirable conditions. Yes, this puppy does deserve a good home, but if everybody refused to give money to people overproducing, puppy farms etc, then it would be a start towards getting on top of our dog overpopulation problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I do appreciate that it would be nice to go to the pound but I have already looked into that. I love west highland dogs and that is the type of dog i have decided to get. I had one a few years ago that died and so want one again. I'm not aware of there being many west highlands in pounds. I did contact a westhighland rescue centre and I'm actually on a waiting list but this pup has come up for sale just down the road from me. Hope you now understand?
    So besides from your other complaints, not having the pup registered isn't a problem?

Honestly I understand completely.

I have one rescue, and as I wanted a pure bred Staffordshire Bull Terrier I took one from a friend who breeds them. As it was a friend I didn't have to pay anything more than IKC registration fee's as I agreed to vac's, worm & flea the dog myself.

I'd have had no problem getting another rescue, and if I intend adding a third dog to the family thats where I'll be going again.

Hope you find the dog you want, just bere in mind what the others have said here re. the breeder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

As for rescue HT there lots in shelters all over the country, Give me a few days and I'll find you one.

Not Reg. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Thats all I'd have to say on that note breeders are not stupid they know what has to be done and if you decide in the end to show him and he wins lots the breeder gets regonision for that and it helps their reputation as a breeder, any good breeder will have them reg. no question about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Found one 9 mth old female, Lenister area called Daisy, Athlone SPCA 090-6485910 or 087-6178871

http://www.ispca.ie/content/leinster.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It doesnt cost 100€ to register pups with the IKC. If it was me i would staying well clear of this breeder.

If you are looking for a pedigree Westie, please contact the breed club and they can put you in contact with good responsible breeders who have good healthy pups.

A lot of dogs advertsied in papers or online are back yard dodgy breeders so just be very careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Steer well clear of this breeder it doesnt cost 100 euro to register a pup the cost is either 13 or 15 euro so they are defo crooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

The cost of registering a pup is €13 + € 20 for compulsory microchip = € 33.

Advertisement