Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech Hedging - Advice Needed

Options
  • 10-11-2008 7:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6

I have just bought 100 x Beech hedge plants which I'm planning to plant this weekend. The plan is to plant 2 rows 18 inches apart?

What's the best way to tackle it? Dig a trench or Plant each one seperately?

Thanks,
    Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Each one seperate, I did the same, If I was you I would hire a posthole boring machine and use the biggest augur they have to drill the holes.
    It is a lot of work to do it by hand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i went the other way and dug a trench. was glad i did, cause our site had a lot of rocks in it and other rubbish from the building (plastic, rebar, tiles) so digging the trench at least allowed me to clear the rubbish away from the roots of the trees so they had some decent soil to grow in unti they got established. Looks like out of 60 bareroot plants down all have taken, so must have done something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

It depends on your soil, if it's virgin soil (no builder has tampered with it and there no rocks in it) use the auger but make sure you have a good hold of it and are not wearing any loose fitting clothes. It's not that hard to get caught in the machine or break a wrist. There's a thin line between knowing when to hold and letting it go, Ideally you should have another man on the other side for extra stability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Stuff4Sale

mossym wrote: »
    i went the other way and dig a trench. was glad i did, casue our site had a lot of rocks in it and other rubbishh from the building (plastic, rebar, tiles) so digging the trench at least allowed me to clear the rubbish away fromt eh roots of the trees so they had some decent soil to grow in unti they got established. Looks like out of 60 bareroot plants down all have taken, so must have done something right.

Thanks guys, the is a bit of builders rubble around so maybe a trench is the idea to clear the way for roots etc.

Advertisement