Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 3UK Huawei D100 wireless router

Options
  • 10-11-2008 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭

Just in case anyone is thinking of picking one of these up in the north, be advised: I have trialled one for ye all.

It's networked-locked. Won't work with 3 Ireland dongles.

Shíte.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

culabula wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is thinking of picking one of these up in the north, be advised: I have trialled one for ye all.

It's networked-locked. Won't work with 3 Ireland dongles.

Shíte.

Are you sure because its the dongle itself that is SIM locked. You will need to adjust the router's settings. Post below indicates they are not locked:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1069281.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

skearon wrote: »
    Are you sure because its the dongle itself that is SIM locked. You will need to adjust the router's settings. Post below indicates they are not locked:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1069281.html

I unlocked my datamodem ages ago.

As soon as I put my 3UK X-series SIM into it, it began to work with the router. Revert to the Irish SIM and it ceases working. Many of the settings cannot be changed. I might understand if the modem was subsidised or part of a package but at 70GBP it's a dear as any other router of its type and this makes it all the more incomprehensible.

The guys on the Australian forum are talking about the 3 Router as released by 3 AUS. Lucky them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

culaba what are you trying to do.....put a sim in a wireless router? Would a billon router not be the best option... http://www.billion.com/product/3g.html

culaba what are you trying to do.....put a sim in a wireless router? Would a billon router not be the best option... http://www.billion.com/product/3g.html

Er, no, I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

I unlocked my datamodem ages ago.

As soon as I put my 3UK X-series SIM into it, it began to work with the router. Revert to the Irish SIM and it ceases working. Many of the settings cannot be changed. I might understand if the modem was subsidised or part of a package but at 70GBP it's a dear as any other router of its type and this makes it all the more incomprehensible.

The guys on the Australian forum are talking about the 3 Router as released by 3 AUS. Lucky them.

Silly question - does the Irish SIM work in the USB modem when its attached to a PC/Laptop ?

If it does, perhaps try and locate the Auz firmware for the router and reflash it with that ?

• Advertisement

skearon wrote: »
    Silly question - does the Irish SIM work in the USB modem when its attached to a PC/Laptop ?

If it does, perhaps try and locate the Auz firmware for the router and reflash it with that ?

Of course it does -that is not the point of this thread. It's about a new product from 3 UK which enables you to share the connection from your datamodem (something you can easily do from your MacBook, anyway). This product is not yet offered by 3 Ireland.

Despite it costing 70GBP, the product is rather surprisingly network-locked to 3UK and will only work with a connected Huawei USB modem containing a 3UK SIM. It makes no odds if said Huawei datamodem is locked or unlocked -it requires a 3UK SIM in order for this router to function.

I like simple solutions -this is anything but -so for that reason it's going straight back later today. Paying that amount of money for a 54mbps router and for it to be in any way restricted is extracting the urine. No doubt I could search for the +61 firmware as you suggest, download, extract and install it but it isn't worth the trouble.

what are you trying to do, it looks like your trying to spread a 3G signal with a router (didn't know that about the mac book, tks)......what are u up 2...

what are you trying to do, it looks like your trying to spread a 3G signal with a router (didn't know that about the mac book, tks)......what are u up 2...

Yes, it's a product specifically to turn your 3G datamodem into a shareable wifi signal (supports up to 4 connected peripherals). Just introduced to UK market and in very short supply. I bought it to test it and in a gesture to use a lot more of my 10GB allowance from 3 Ireland than I do each month. Imagine my surprise etc.....

The same can be achieved by firing up your datamodem with your MacBook and in sys prefs/sharing tick share your internet connection from your Huawei Mobile connection. There doesn't appear to be any restrictions on the number of persons who may connect to be of any concern other than any performance drop.

you can do the same thing with a billion router for the same price.....that does look tidy though...

• Advertisement

you can do the same thing with a billion router for the same price.....that does look tidy though...

My point exactly -where do they get off locking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

This product is not yet offered by 3 Ireland.
    Yes it is. Its available through 3 stores for the last 3 weeks. Check the display cabinets in the store on the wall. The sell for 99.

In a not-at-all sort of way :-) That looks far better, as it's mobile for a start. Where does one get this Billion-dollar routers?

Hardly the *same* price then!

Walkman wrote: »
    Yes it is. Its available through 3 stores for the last 3 weeks. Check the display cabinets in the store on the wall. The sell for 99.

Really? Not on their website (as far as I can see), not in their latest magazine, not in Grafton Street (I looked) and certainly not in 3 store employees heads, but then that's no surprise.

Ta for info, I'll have another go next time.

If i was 3 i wouldn't sell them at all, why sell one to every house when you can sell 5...:) Your all lucky i'm not in charge, I think 02 do one as well, it's around the €500 mark the last time I checked....harldy an incentive to buy one...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

Hi all,

Couldn't help but join in. There's another option here for you, the DOVADO UMR. Take a look here: http://www.dovado.com/ie

Lot's of happy folks in Ireland (and elsewhere!)

Discussion is held here:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055361790

We get a loooooooooong list of supported modems here: http://www.dovado.com/modems

• Registered Users Posts: 18 whizkid1

I got caught with one of the uk routers from 3. £ technical support in the uk actually believe that they work in the The Irish Republic.

I am actually stuck with it you cant return for cash as they are not defective and 3 ireland treat you like s!?**t

Anybody know where I can get a firmware update for the Rep of Ireland

W

• Advertisement

whizkid1 wrote: »
    I got caught with one of the uk routers from 3. £ technical support in the uk actually believe that they work in the The Irish Republic.

I am actually stuck with it you cant return for cash as they are not defective and 3 ireland treat you like s!?**t

Anybody know where I can get a firmware update for the Rep of Ireland

W

Not sure what you mean that 3 Ireland treat you like shíte? You mean they are refusing to help you sort out a purchase from a foreign network?

As for returning it -*yes, you can* -to 3 UK within 14 days if unhappy with purchase. I did this.

I don't believe a "firmware update" is going to help you use it with your 3 Ireland datamodem. The problem is to get it unlocked for use with any modem.

The router claims to work with any 3 modem. Not any 3uk modem. Anyhow if you buy a router you wouldnt expect it to be locked to a network

I have never heard of someone locking a router. The least you would expect is that it would be stated that it is locked to a particular network

By the way the same router is 33% dearer in Ireland.

T

The router claims to work with any 3 modem. Not any 3uk modem. Anyhow if you buy a router you wouldnt expect it to be locked to a network

I have never heard of someone locking a router. The least you would expect is that it would be stated that it is locked to a particular network

By the way the same router is 33% dearer in Ireland.

T

In the UK 3 is just that -'3'. In Ireland too, it is also '3'. We only suffix UK and Ireland on this forum to make a distinction since the two companies operate in both jurisdictions on this island.

It is not claimed that the router will work with ANY 3 dongle, just that it will only work with those issued by 3 -as opposed to T-Mobile, Vodafone, O2, Orange or Virgin. They are not required to qualify this to exclude 3 (Ireland) any more than you would expect them to specify 3 (Hong Kong).

So, I am afraid it does say that it is locked to a particular network.

If you look at my initial posts regarding this purchase you will see of my indignation at discovering and then confirming this router to be locked to the parent company. However that's the way it is, despite my annoyance. They do this to stop millions of people buying one in the UK to use with dongles from the other big four Telcos.

I got one to test this and to see if anything could be done about it, but secure in the knowledge that I could return it within 14 days if dissatisfied.

I then posted my findings here for the benefit of others, as at the time of writing, the same router was not yet available from 3 Ireland. I still find it impossible to find this on the three.ie website.

Caveat emptor!

Actually 3 in the uk told me it would work with 3 ireland datamodems but as you pointed out they were wrong

I Bought it in Currys in belfast I will take it back to them and fight it out
    It was clear on the bok that it would only work with 3 datamodems

But I expected it to work with 3 ireland I think that That was a fair assumption.

3 are selling them in Ireland at the moment for €100

T

Actually 3 in the uk told me it would work with 3 ireland datamodems but as you pointed out they were wrong

But I expected it to work with 3 ireland I think that That was a fair assumption.

T

Currys in Belfast would not, as the popular local expression has it, have enough sense between them to stand in out of the rain.

The think a Blu-Ray is a DVD; they think 70GBP HDMI cables are better than 5GBP ones; they think SA-CD output is carried over TOSLINK; They think FreeSAT and FreeView are the same thing....the list is endless.

I appreciate your confusion but when 3 print on the box will only work "with dongles from 3" they are referring to themselves, i.e. 3 (UK). Idem for the Irish version of the box. Hopefully you can sway Currys of no fixed brainpower to accept your confusion and they will relent.

How long is it since purchase?

When the router was introduced, at 70GBP, 100€ was not too far off the mark given the exchange rate and VAT differential. These days, it is no longer so clear why the discrepancy.

T

Incidentally, had you bought in in a 3 shop in Belfast or Lisburn they would have put you right straight away -the staff all know it is locked to 3 (UK).

Blame it on Currys! and whatever half-wit told you it would work with a 3 (Ireland) datamodem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dlink, Netgear, Linksys/Cisco, Dreytek and others all do excellent EDGE/3G/HSDPA routers too.

The DLink DIR450 DIR451 are the same router, one is EVDO firmware and the other is EDGE/3G/HSDPA. It takes USB or PCMCIA modems.

The older Linksys WRT54G3G only has PCMCIA. But it can run OpenWRT and then you can use a Linux supported USB adaptor and USB modem.

You can also recycle a old PC or Laptop as a Linux "Clarke Connect" Router and install USB modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

For anyone with 1 USB dongle it’s a real pain in a house with several devices requiring Internet access. To solve this 3 sell a Huawei D100 router that supposedly splits the connection creating a Wlan / Lan.

Except it does not work out of the box in Ireland, D100 was purchased in Dublin from a three store not UK.

Ringing three is no use as they tell you to bring the router back claiming incompatibility with the national BB rollout E1750 dongle. The tech support are of absolute no use what so ever as I'm sure a firmware update 3 custom version is available but they just couldn't be bothered same with website support for the D100 both here and UK three site.

Checking the huawei website is also useless as they do not list any firmware update even though the firmware on the D100 is June 2008 version .106.

Anyway to get it going just follow the instruction at:
    http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/Huawei+D100%2C+D100T

After update, select 3 from the operator’s dialup profile and it worked spot on giving HSDPA full strength as well ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Speed_Downlink_Packet_Access ).

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

If you bought an unlocked d100 would it work with a 3 ireland dongle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Should be fine it can depend on the model USB dongle.

If its fully unlocked you will be able to select the operator three in the web control panel and away you go.

Note if a firmware upgrade is required it can be awkward to find as huawei or three (even three.co.uk) do not publish links to updates.

An alternative option is the edimax 3g-6200wg WITH THE LATEST FIRMWARE:

http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=267&pl1_id=3&pl2_id=78

This works a treat with three.

Advertisement