Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove my Ban

Options
  • 10-11-2008 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I have been unfairly banned by a moderator. :eek:

The decision was made flippantly without any way of apology and now the moderator is sitting on his/her hands. :eek:

I have also been banned from posting in "Prison" so cannot provide a suitable defense in the correct forum. :mad:

Please remove my ban. I have subscriptions to threads and a thread which is probably spiralling out of control by trolls is going uncontrolled without any direction from myself, the OP. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As I still seem to have access to post replies here, I'll give you a hand to help speed matters up and include the information that you forgot to post:

This is the thread it's all about
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055416289

This is the post (especially the last bit) that you got the warning for
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57854097&postcount=8

This is the warning
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57854160&postcount=10

and this is what earned you the ban
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57854219&postcount=11

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I know what was said but its the decision that made no sense. Somebody reported the post I made. Somebody assumed because I said the OP was stupid that I was calling the OP stupid.

The OP asked was she a typical stupid girl or something similar. Bear in mind I cannot get into the thread so cannot say it word for word.

The OP asked was she a typical stupid girl.

I said I would not be as sexist to call her a typical girl/woman but for giving over €500 to the guys she was indeed stupid.

What is wrong with concurring with the OP. Most people simply attack the OP to pass the day.

It was taken out of context. The moderator did not investigate the remarks made by the OP or myself and publically warned me. PM's are most suitable. I contested the use of a public slandering.

I also tried to defend myself.

I was banned.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You may apologise by PM. Im serious

Three words travelled through my mind as I read this.

"Take a hike".

Perhaps your repsonse was misunderstood. You certainly don't appear to be familiar with how boards.ie works, how Internet forums in general work, so I would advise reading Charters in future. No "slander" was involved here, and I'd be very wary of what you post next and read this before you reply.

CuLT wrote: »
    Three words travelled through my mind as I read this.

"Take a hike".

Perhaps your repsonse was misunderstood. You certainly don't appear to be familiar with how boards.ie works, how Internet forums in general work, so I would advise reading Charters in future. No "slander" was involved here, and I'd be very wary of what you post next and read this before you reply.

I do not accept that giving me a public warning was warranted. Removing my post and replacing it with a message explaining where It has gone like a standard disclaimer or sending me a PM to warn me is far more suitable.

I appreciate a developer taking the time to respond but as Im sure you can imagine Im very offended by your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Many mods will publically warn a user. The post was not removed, why should the mod spend time to remove your posts and PM you and wait for your reply and subsequently pm you back with a response when he can just warn you on thread?

The ban is justified as you brought the thread off topic, called a poster an idiot and told the moderator to apologise to you when you had breached the charter.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    Many mods will publically warn a user. The post was not removed, why should the mod spend time to remove your posts and PM you and wait for your reply and subsequently pm you back with a response when he can just warn you on thread?

The ban is justified as you brought the thread off topic, called a poster an idiot and told the moderator to apologise to you when you had breached the charter.

I agree with every thing you have said(except the ban) and can now realise why publically warning somebody is less time consuming that the way I would have preffered.

I still do not agree with the ban. I dont think it is justified because it was taken out of context. I cannot now find a common solution with the moderator because he decided he will not be replying to anymore of my PM's.

Nor do I feel that being told to "take a hike" by Ross Duggan is acceptable on any forum whether it is your website or not. Im sure its not indicative of they way you normally speak to fellow members.

I agree with every thing you have said(except the ban) and can now realise why publically warning somebody is less time consuming that the way I would have preffered.

I still do not agree with the ban. I dont think it is justified because it was taken out of context. I cannot now find a common solution with the moderator because he decided he will not be replying to anymore of my PM's.

Nor do I feel that being told to "take a hike" by Ross Duggan is acceptable on any forum whether it is your website or not. Im sure its not indicative of they way you normally speak to fellow members.
    No, normally fellow members aren't quite as difficult and actually "get" boards.ie.

You don't, that's fine. Is there some reason in particular you decided to use my full name there? I keep it quite publically available who I am, do you mind disclosing yours if we're going to take the gloves off?

No, normally fellow members aren't quite as difficult and actually "get" boards.ie.

You don't, that's fine. Is there some reason in particular you decided to use my full name there? I keep it quite publically available who I am, do you mind disclosing yours if we're going to take the gloves off?

I may not "get" boards.ie in the same way as you as I have not invested my blood, sweat and tears as Im sure you have. I still appreciate boards.ie. I was just about to find my way to the travel section to ask some questions about immigration in Australia when gmail notified on a subscribed e-mail. By that, Im sure you will appreciate that I appreciate boards.ie and the opinions and considerable advice whether its good or bad from its many members.

I however visit the site and mostly visit the motors section where, using my knowledge of the motor factors industry and my many years of advanced driving tuition including emergency tactical driving, I find it a good way to answer people's questions. I dont answer questions that I do not know the answers to and I feel that that single thing makes me in some way a helpful person.(some way, I said :D)

I hold my views firm as Im sure you and other members do in the forum and in the outside world.

I get boards.ie because there are always members available to answer questions and it never takes very long. I value it over other websites because it comprises most known forums into one conclusive site. Im sure you will notice that since my membership inception I have been quite active on the site and do not use abusive or strong language.

Why did I use your full name? Possibly, Im unsure, to express my annoyance at being offended. Who knows? I dont like to use abusive language so that was my only outlet.

Part of my name is probably no secret anyway.

Its Alan Quirke, quirke_folder. Im 28 years old and overweight. :D

I may not "get" boards.ie in the same way as you as I have not invested my blood, sweat and tears as Im sure you have. I still appreciate boards.ie. I was just about to find my way to the travel section to ask some questions about immigration in Australia when gmail notified on a subscribed e-mail. By that, Im sure you will appreciate that I appreciate boards.ie and the opinions and considerable advice whether its good or bad from its many members.

I however visit the site and mostly visit the motors section where, using my knowledge of the motor factors industry and my many years of advanced driving tuition including emergency tactical driving, I find it a good way to answer people's questions. I dont answer questions that I do not know the answers to and I feel that that single thing makes me in some way a helpful person.(some way, I said :D)

I hold my views firm as Im sure you and other members do in the forum and in the outside world.

I get boards.ie because there are always members available to answer questions and it never takes very long. I value it over other websites because it comprises most known forums into one conclusive site. Im sure you will notice that since my membership inception I have been quite active on the site and do not use abusive or strong language.

Why did I use your full name? Possibly, Im unsure, to express my annoyance at being offended. Who knows? I dont like to use abusive language so that was my only outlet.

Part of my name is probably no secret anyway.

Its Alan Quirke, quirke_folder. Im 28 years old and overweight. :D

Ok, Alan, I don't think either of us really want to get into a (heaven forbid) "Internet altercation". I don't engage in thoughtful responses when people appear to be simply unreasonably flying off the handle, that doesn't appear to be the case anymore. Regardless of the time I have put into the site, I don't expect subservience or anything of the sort, I expect, I imagine, the same thing as you, courtesy and some degree of patience.

I've been short with you in this thread because I think you're being over sensitive to moderator instruction, and demanding an apology from a moderator in thread is essentially like loudly demanding an apology from someone in a bar because you took offense at them telling you to "watch it" after you accidentally bumped into them.

The reasoning behind taking qualms with moderatorship off thread is because it allows for reasonable discourse without an audience egging either side on. In a bar, you're probably on your way to a fight; if you have a chat with the person outside while they're having a smoke etc, they're not under pressure of losing face.

Do you follow my reasoning here or do you think it's an unreasonable comparison?

Do you follow my reasoning here or do you think it's an unreasonable comparison?

It is a fair comparison.

Had I taken direction from the moderator then I would have avoided needless mud slinging.

Thank you for taking the time out of your evening. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement