Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat health issues

• 10-11-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

My indoor female calico is worrying me.
    she is 18month old, and i got her spayed last tuesday in the local vets. Now i have never had a problem with them before so I doubt it is anything to do what they did. But since she has not been the same, it took her 2days to recover from the anesthetic, she is still drooling heavily and i have just fond a large blister-like scab on her left shoulder that is about the size of a 20c coin. She is eating relatively ok, and i have not seen her drink or go to the toilet much, i dont know if i am over reacting or if my worry is justified. If anyone can help its greatly apriciated.
    I havent the money right now to get her offically checked by the vet, but she's back in on friday to have her stiches out so i was going to ask then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

its more than likely not related to the spaying, a blister would not imo be a symptom of recovery, if at all possible i would try get her back in to the vet, maybe you could say you will pay on fri or next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Large blister-like scab? Has she been fighting with any other animal, or is she an outdoor cat?

If she's an outdoor cat, has she been outside since she was spayed? She could have been hit by a car - the scab could be from the road and the drooling from a broken bottom jaw.

Assuming you haven't let her out, is the scab a patch of hairlessness? There are a number of things that can cause a cat to lose hair in patches, including ringworm.

You need to take her back to the vet. If it's a case of 'Can't pay until payday' ring them, tell them that and tell them her symptoms. Don't wait until Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mairepadraigin

I wonder if anyone can help me - my cat aged 13 had her teeth cleaned and scaled six days ago and she had an anaesthetic - she is fine but is now silent and she was a very vocal cat - any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

When a cat is put under anaesthetic, they are sprayed with a local anaesthetic in their throat before being intubated. Its possibly just a residual effect of this, I had that spray in my throat last week and its not the nicest sensation. But as its been going on about a week now it might be no harm to ring up your vet to see if they think it warrents a revisit. When teeth are being scaled theres a whole load of bacteria flying everywhere, so the throat could be infected. So just because of your cats age and the fact the problem has been going on so long, if I was you I would ring the vet!

Thank you for that I will ring the Vet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I would ask the vet for Meticalm, I got it twice after my cat was put under and her throat was affected. Worked wonders.

Thank you for your tip but believe it or not she has found her voice today and I am really relieved.

Advertisement