Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query Re: Bit

Options
  • 10-11-2008 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Was talking to a friend of mine who has a problem with her horse getting its tongue over the bit. Somebody recommended that she use a special bit with an extra addition on it which prevents the horse from doing this. I have seen them before and we have a very very old one at home, but I don't know the proper name for it and I haven't found it in any books I've looked in at home.

I know there are many other methods which can be tried in order to prevent a horse from getting its tounge over the bit, and I've suggested these to my friend, (I'm also not a fan of changing bits, etc. unless all other alternatives fail), but I'm just curious if anybody out there knows the proper name for the bit in question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think I know the bit you are talking about but I dont know the name of it I'm afraid.

Its not either of these is it?

http://www.shop4bits.com/cat--Tongue-Bits--Tongue-bits.html

That website is fab btw. I bought a bit from them once and couldnt fault their service/selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Hi again. Assuming your friend hasn't tried one already usually a well fitted drop noseband is a comfortable appropriate answer to the problem but no doubt thats been suggested. Can't help with the bit.:o:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

have you tried using a french link?? ive heard of people using these in this case before with good results!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

She could try a "tongue bit" (which Convert posted a link to) or a "tongue layer" ( http://www.shop4bits.com/item--Rubber-Tongue-Layer--Rubber-tongue-layer.html ). She could also try using a drop, grackle or flash noseband.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

That's the one I had in mind - thanks! I've suggested the nosebands, etc. We'll see how things go. Thanks for all the links and suggestions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement