Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones 'world's most liveable community'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Interesting, I wonder what the criteria are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Come on we all knew it was the best place in the world...ahem:rolleyes:

Any idea who we were up against?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Any idea who we were up against?

Bray, East Kilbride, Peckham, and the Bronx.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

"The LivCom Awards is the world’s only Competition for local communities that focuses on environmental management and the creation of liveable communities....."

http://www.livcomawards.com/2008-awards/whole-city-awards.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Peckham

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

"Speaking from China, Greystones Town Manager Sean Quirke said, "it's an honour to win this international award. To win you have to hit a number of categories, like protecting heritage, planning for the future, and the promotion of healthy lifestyles".

He said the judges seemed particular impressed by the Greystones Harbour Project."

Protecting heritage like the way they have protected the cliff walk? Funny that the Harbour Project is commended in conjunction with protecting heritage - i guess giving away the shoreline to developers is what they really mean. And planning for the future? Like how we got a massive increase in population thanks to the charlesland development yet no increase in schools, or transport links to really support them. Awesome, I can see this award is well thought out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nicht moeglich

That was our competition;

http://www.livcomawards.com/media-2008/Final-day-highlights/City%20&%20Project%20Results.doc

and there's the criteria

http://www.livcomawards.com/2008-awards/bursary-awards.htm

I say well done to the town! Always nice to win something!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tauren, there was a reason that the original Marina thread was closed down; nothing but handbags at dawn for most of the 200 or so posts.

I know the article mentions the marina, but lets try and keep this thread as positive as the news deserves (i.e. no more marina talk).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

I wonder if there were any publicly funded junkets here? Seems like a hotly contested trophy. Guanda China? Neiupoort Belgium? Linlithgow Scotland? and not forgetting Trafalgar Australia! All places on the regular tourist track. Wonder if Springfield was in there too? With a new statue of Jimmy Carter.
    Doh!
    old cynical me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

this will add millions to the value of our houses, despite being built by durkans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

This is a major problem with this forum. Even when something positive is highlighted, the cynics come wading in.

It hardly matters how it was won, or who the competition was. The fact remains that the town has been recognised for its good points, of which there are many.

Hammie, you've been skating on very thin ice for quite a while now... Ignoring Eoin's comment isn't going to help you much. As for your tourist track comment, the award is for the quality of the towns to LIVE in, it hardly matters if none of them are Machu Picchu.

Keep it positive folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

I think it's called humour Mike. Perhaps you might want to to get yourself a sense of one? Nobody is being negative about Greystones. It is a great place to live. Even if some of it's residents have no sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I partly agree with Hammie on this one Mike (only partly!!). There's nought wrong with a bit of humour on these very silly awards (in my opinion). Greystones came up high in some clean town award. The place is covered with dog poo. Mad!

It is great for Greystones to win the award without a doubt. We live in a lovely area. But come on..!!

It stinks of junket and is all a bit silly.

The harbour issue is contentious and we can't hide from that.

Personally I have never lived in a place so covered with dog poo, that for me, makes a farce of these awards - tidy towns etc. It's gross how you can't go for a walk without dog poo everywhere. Sorry if that is negative but I don't think Greystones deserves any of these awards.

Saying that i still think it's a fab place to live and especially bring up children.

Just my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Possiby the highest ratio of 'poo' ive seen in a post!

Kudos :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I thought the post read 'worlds most invisible community'. But now I don't know what to think. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement