Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hog Roast

Options
  • 10-11-2008 8:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Any company in Cork doing hog roast / spit roast for 50 -70 people for a private party?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

try http://www.rotarypig.ie/ they say they cater for everywhere. Yum Yum hog roast can I come

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Barracuda BBQ in Kinsale do a mean roast pig.
    Not sure of the guys name but if you call the bullman they should know,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 unhappy_bride

We were going to use www.rotarypig.ie (owned by Matt Lord and Susie Lord) too for a wedding in June this year, but they have let us down 4 weeks before the wedding with the excuse that they would not be able to provide the service we are looking for and it's better to be disappointed 4 weeks before than on the day!!!
    Before that they gave us the spiel that it's all no problem and everything is possible. We had to track down their private phone number to even get in contact with them. They didn't reply to any of our emails, phone calls, texts for almost an entire month!

My advice: Stay well away from this dodgy company!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

http://www.tauhogroast.ie/

Another site if you're still looking for somewhere!

EDIT: oops, just noticed this was an old thread that had been revived. My bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Hi Folks.

I am planning to have a large perty for about 35 - 50 people, and I would really like to break away from the norm or finger food or BBQ.

Has anyone used the Tau Hog Roast. (Rotary Pig sound a bit dodgy!!).

Also I have looked for companies that do the hog roast for 35 - 50, but 80 seems to be the minimum for the hog. (Although 30 is the minimum for the lamb, I would perfer the Hog :)).

Also on the off chance I can't get the deal I am looking for...does anyone know how I would go about renting the equipment to do a monster bbq. (Or build one :D!!!!)
    A friend of mine is a professional chef and would be weel able to sort out a serious BBQ if I had the equipment.

Thanmks in advance Folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

In the same position myself oldscoil, have found this site www.spittingpig.ie who are based in Cork. Have emailed them for a price for hire today, will let you know how I get on.

daithip wrote: »
    In the same position myself oldscoil, have found this site www.spittingpig.ie who are based in Cork. Have emailed them for a price for hire today, will let you know how I get on.

Just spole to them today, they're booked up for the day I want:(

Ah well.

However I noticed Tau Hog Roast have increased their basic lamb menu by as much as 100% in price.:eek:

Quiet uncool I think :mad:

Very much so.
    Been quoted €250 for the machine hire without a delivery cost, which I expect may be pretty high as they're based in Cork and I'm in Cavan:eek: Think I may have to resort to building my own, like this design I found on Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

oldscoil wrote: »
    Hi Folks.

I am planning to have a large perty for about 35 - 50 people, and I would really like to break away from the norm or finger food or BBQ.

Has anyone used the Tau Hog Roast. (Rotary Pig sound a bit dodgy!!).

Also I have looked for companies that do the hog roast for 35 - 50, but 80 seems to be the minimum for the hog. (Although 30 is the minimum for the lamb, I would perfer the Hog :)).

Also on the off chance I can't get the deal I am looking for...does anyone know how I would go about renting the equipment to do a monster bbq. (Or build one :D!!!!)
    A friend of mine is a professional chef and would be weel able to sort out a serious BBQ if I had the equipment.

Thanmks in advance Folks.

I was at a function that used Tau Hog Roast and it was brill, the lamb was really very good, but your right about the prices, I think the price was very good but to double it is just making it to expensive for most people, pity.

Just to update you, the guy at spittingpig is going to tie in my rental with another person in Galway, so delivery is working out at €100:D. €350 in total, so happy days. Just the matter of getting the pig now:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 katy_00

We used a crowd from Cobh in Cork for a Pig Roast and barbecue. We're based in Tipperary but they travel all over doing it.
    We had no problems with them and the price was good..they catered for 200 people. The food was fab too.
    Can't remember the name they go by but we were dealing with a guy called Richie. I can get you his number if you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pigroast

consider that some clients are far more difficult than others, unhappy bride certainly was.
    decisions on menu and budget need to be made in a timely manner and then stuck to.
    make your own decisions, investigate the market, there are a number of companies offering this service with varied degrees of service and price. remember there is more than just roasting a pig involved. check licences, insurances etc. nobody wants an unhappy client or prospective client, but at times some are just to difficult to help. ps nobody likes to be given ultimatums either.

Had our pig roast yesterday, catered for 90 people, have to say went down an absolute treat with all and was the topic of conversation all night. Used the hired spit from spitingpig.ie to cook a 55kg pig, took 7 hours to do, but well, well worth it.:D Will strongly consider doing the same again for the next big event that comes along and would highly recommend it. The only downside, the clean up:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dees

Am organising a party for approx 100+ and am thinking of a Pig Roast as a food option, would apprciate the number of the guy from Cobh so I can compare some prices locally.
    katy_00 wrote: »
    We used a crowd from Cobh in Cork for a Pig Roast and barbecue. We're based in Tipperary but they travel all over doing it.
    We had no problems with them and the price was good..they catered for 200 people. The food was fab too.
    Can't remember the name they go by but we were dealing with a guy called Richie. I can get you his number if you want it.

Dees, the guys I used are the spittingpig.ie and are based in Douglas in Cork. They both hire the machines or do the catering for you. They're number is 021-4919103

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dees

dathip thanks for that, have phoned them and am waiting for them to get back to me with a quote - will let you know how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 danglers

Dees wrote: »
    Am organising a party for approx 100+ and am thinking of a Pig Roast as a food option, would apprciate the number of the guy from Cobh so I can compare some prices locally.

hi Dees,

i have an email for the lads from cobh if your still interested it's

pig_bbq@yahoo.ie

Hi All.

Aplogies for digging up an older thread, but in the end I went with this guy. :)

Stephen Goode
    http://www.thegoodelifefoodcompany.ie/contact/
    Tel : 0402 33878
    Mob: 087 2669620

He's based in Arklow, but I met him in Dublin, he had already cooked the meat that morning....

...IT WAS AMAZING!!!!

Pork, lamb and beef. Loads and loads at a nice price, and no fuss.

My guests were well impressed. I will definitely be contacting him for my Halloween BBQ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tosh74

I was at an event recently that was catered for by 2 lads from East Cork, near Cobh I think. Food was top class and cooked on site. Cooked in terrible weather conditions and very professional too. Im sure its the same lads that go under pig_bbq@yahoo.ie (pig_bbq) . Never got a number though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Just as a side note, a family friend had a pig party last year from Rotarypig.ie and they had a brilliant experience.

Not sure which company it was but the food was meant to be top notch. They did salads and other stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 colin8

Yeah....they had a New Zealand chef called Jason...he went to the new company...great chef...makes all the salads on site...tatooed from head to toe...his photo is on their new site...I agree great food and the main company Spitting Pig has a good repuation as well.

Just when you see some of the older posts...I donot think it is fair to the new guys.

Colin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 martina p

If Matt Lord has left the company then i am delighted. i booked him for my wedding and he pulled out via e-mail 6 days before ! i wish the company well but they should change website because the impression it gives is that it is the same people involved. they need to distance themselves from Matt Lord as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 colin8

Yeah...Matt Lord has left and vanished to some where in Africa...Spitting Pig BBQ's took them over.

The still have the New Zealand chef working for them and they have some great new menus and just as important the price is great....we got 3 meats, 5 salads, breads, sauce, all the plates etc for less than 8.50 per person and they travel from Cork to Limerick to serve the food.

Advertisement