Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Made & Irish related firearms... (lots of pix, 56K beware)

Options
  • 10-11-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to collect old Irish made firearms or anything related for a year or two now check this out, a Dublin Made Rigby 12 gauge, they fetch quite the price!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=115271667

So far to date Ive got an Irish Contract Enfield No4Mk2 :

614737583_0a3109dda4_b.jpg
    379590439_31f1e9673b_o.jpg
    379590419_8dbdeeaa17_o.jpg
    Yes I do know that very few of these were delivered, this one is "new" and unissued

A Fianna Fail Marked SMLE No1Mk3 (well actually its a "mixer" with a FF barrel)
    3019371523_884a3d52cd_o.jpg
    And an old muzzle loader Kavanagh Shotgun:
    2442027918_4522f51e23_o.jpg
    2442027772_d5a75a0376_o.jpg
    2441199013_29d1227413_o.jpg
    always on the look out for something cools, so If any of you see anything I may be interested in please forward on the info in a PM to me please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Any idea of dates?
    And are you sure the LE is irish "made"?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Mellor wrote: »
    Any idea of dates?
    And are you sure the LE is irish "made"?

No lee enfields were Irish "made".
    The top No4M2 was made in 55 for the Irish Army one of 50,000 but very few were ever delivered, the no1mk3 has an Fianna Fail marked Barrel indicating Free State army use, the receiver is a BSA made in 1918

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The Rigby shotgun is an interesting one. The company was very famous in it's time for...rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nice start of a collection there.:) If you ever want to sell the LE;).
    Have you or anyone else here ever heard of a shotgun or anything related to it ?Called "The Fenian". Dont know anything else about it bar the name.
    Always thought it would be a good book about the gunmakers and dealers of Ireland.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nice start of a collection there.:) If you ever want to sell the LE;).
    Have you or anyone else here ever heard of a shotgun or anything related to it ?Called "The Fenian". Dont know anything else about it bar the name.
    Always thought it would be a good book about the gunmakers and dealers of Ireland.:)

heres one for sale!
    http://www.micksguns.com/shotguns.htm
    (search kavanagh)
    I'll call them tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

There was the Fenian Gun Company Limited of Birr in Co. offaly which ceased production in 1970.

harmoniums wrote: »
    heres one for sale!
    http://www.micksguns.com/shotguns.htm
    (search kavanagh)
    I'll call them tomorrow

Damn, I just talked to the guy, the cops have all his stock, seemingly he was tried for selling pistols to plain clothes cops... found innocent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thats awhile ago Harmonious.He was cleared all right.He should have the stock back by now!Will give him a Bell anyway.:)
    Hmm The Fenian isnt exactly in the Italian categeory in looks is it??

Cheers BTK.That gives somthing to work on .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

harmoniums wrote: »
    No lee enfields were Irish "made".
    The top No4M2 was made in 55 for the Irish Army one of 50,000 but very few were ever delivered, the no1mk3 has an Fianna Fail marked Barrel indicating Free State army use, the receiver is a BSA made in 1918
    I was pretty sure of that, but as you said irish made in the original title, I wanted to ask out of politeness.
    Would I be right in saying that the first LE was manufactured in ROF Fazakerley. Which, actually stopped production in 1955

Mellor wrote: »
    I was pretty sure of that, but as you said irish made in the original title, I wanted to ask out of politeness.
    Would I be right in saying that the first LE was manufactured in ROF Fazakerley. Which, actually stopped production in 1955

Yes the 1/55 in the Serial number indicates a January 1955 manufacture (or so I've been told)

• Advertisement
Advertisement