Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purging Dead Accounts

Options
  • 10-11-2008 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

Is it possible? Im after reading the AH thread about subscribing and considering work is very quiet and its only boards that gets me through the day without murdering workmates out of boredom, I think its time to subscribe to give something back.

One of the features i'd be most interested in is the S&S forum the ability to change my username, because, lets be honest, its a bit stupid and doesnt really mean anything/have any relevance.

After looking throught the Members List, a few of the names I thought of (such as just shortening to stee) are taken, yet this member has no posts and hasn't been active since 2002.

Is automatically purging inactive accounts possible without having someone looking through each name for post count/last active date. I dunno, maybe members with 0 or 1 (spam bots etc) posts and not active in the last 12 months? I'd also love to know of the 147,471 registered users how many are active boards users, but that wouldnt be the main reason for asking.

Maybe there is an argument for keeping them, maybe its a lot of hassle just to please one poster, maybe someone might make a mistake and delete all :eek:, but thought i'd ask, thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It is on occasions possible for the Admins to re-assign a user name, usually in cases like that guy's where there have only been a handful of posts, if any, and the account hasn't been used in some time. Obviously you have to be a subscriber first and then you can make your case for a name change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

yep, it's really just bad practice to auto purge accounts, and doing it manually would be a pain. but as zaph said, there are occassions where admins will recycle a username upon a subscribers request. in fact, i'd bet you could have the username from your example with no problems. SUBSCRIBE!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

John originally joined in 1998 and never posted. I ate his username with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Some lurkers rarely, if ever, post. They register to stop the ads, and so that they can use a custom skin. And they never ever post. You purge their account, and I doubt they'd be the happist. It'd be more productive if we just purged the accounts belonging to the liberal hippies: feedback would be fun for about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

the_syco wrote: »
    Some lurkers rarely, if ever, post. They register to stop the ads, and so that they can use a custom skin. And they never ever post. You purge their account, and I doubt they'd be the happist. It'd be more productive if we just purged the accounts belonging to the liberal hippies: feedback would be fun for about 2 weeks.

But it's hard to be a 'long time reader, non poster' for 10 years, (eg in the case of john). Old John probably forgot he registered here, and when he does remember, he's going to be like "Wtf?, I must be crazy, I thought i registered, yet someone else is using my username", when in fact it's just New John being a robber, but he need not know that.

Fool the infideles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

John wrote: »
    John originally joined in 1998 and never posted. I ate his username with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

You'll always been John2 in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It's easy to determine if a long time lurker has been logging in recently. In that case the a/c wouldn't be purged.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

/looks for old usernames to squat

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I saw the title of this thread and thought somebody wants somebody's name!

Are you no longer noble, stee? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It'd be more productive if we just purged the accounts belonging to the liberal hippies:

Sweet, so when are we purging 6th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Sweet, so when are we purging 6th?

I ain't no hippy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Dades wrote: »

I'm afraid not. :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dades wrote: »
    I saw the title of this thread and thought somebody wants somebody's name!

I thought it was nobless T.
    Which makes sense in a way. Letters dont have genitalia.
    But just stee as a username?
    My real question is why was it taken in the first place?
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I thought it was no, bless tee. I just thought he was a very religious golfer. Either that or it's no bless tee which would mean he's anti-religious golfer who is very poor at structuring sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

My real question is why was it taken in the first place?
    :confused::confused::confused:

Stee being short for stephen, most people spelling it ste, which i've always read as 'steh' for some reason, hence the extra 'e'
    he's anti-religious golfer who is very poor at structuring sentences.

That's it exactly, I just assumed it was too cryptic for people to get. The name stays.

Advertisement