Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise test

Options
  • 10-11-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭

We've just got loan offer on a 3 bed semi-detached.
    Today I rang a consulting engineer to carry out a survey.I asked whether there was such a thing as a "wall noise resistance test".He didn't seem to know a whole pile about it.
    The tv point in the living room links to the neighbours wall.I'm fairly deaf and usually turn up the tv a good bit.
    Anybody have any info on this test if it exists?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

could the mods move this thread over to construction and planning please?
    it might fit better there:o:o.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

staker wrote: »
    We've just got loan offer on a 3 bed semi-detached.
    Today I rang a consulting engineer to carry out a survey.I asked whether there was such a thing as a "wall noise resistance test".He didn't seem to know a whole pile about it.
    The tv point in the living room links to the neighbours wall.I'm fairly deaf and usually turn up the tv a good bit.
    Anybody have any info on this test if it exists?

I think you should look at the Technical Guidance Document Section E of the 1997 Building Regs for further info. Actually I just found it for you...

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1646,en.pdf

A fella named Ted Dalton might also be able to advise you, he should be in phonebook or google his name (he's a sound engineer that can measure the transfer of sound between units).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Cheers for that bobbysands.
    A really good bit of info,just to read it all and decipher thoroughly.
    First impressions show i don't have a whole lot to worry about as i know for a fact it's a double cavity seperating wall(i've drilled em in a neighbours house)
    I was just worried there'd be a further sound proofing barrier required for high volumes but it looks to depend mainly on cavity size.
    Any other opinions from experience??

Advertisement