Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to bargain when buying a car?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

<name and make of car>, talk to me.
    She's a feisty one isn't she.
    Beautiful Car, Beautiful,
    Now let me put my index finger under your chin and give it a wigilly wig and you'll say Chittybangbang1 i'll take 18 50

etc

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

AudiChris wrote: »
    Not true at all. If dealer priced the car so they'd eventually sell it at €11,500, they're unlikely to sell for €10,500 (yet) - it may be a bridge too far.

It depends hugely on the dealer's situation.

I'd say the OP should give it a go - strong, decisive and polite - and see what happens.

Go in bristling with arrogance or saying "Sure, dealers are on their knees at the moment. You'll take my low-ball offer and you'll like it", you're likely to get a fairly frosty reception.

Believe it or not, we've actually had a few people say that to us - "you're on your knees, I want a much better deal than this". The conversation basically stops there.
    You're buying a car from me, you don't get my dignity & pride thrown in to the deal...

agreed, the customer might think this and the dealer might know this. Making a point of it in negotiation is not the way to make a deal. You simply say I need a better deal, if they won't do it you leave them your card and try somewhere else. If they do really need to sell they will be in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ferris wrote: »
    OP remind the seller that the car is going to be a year older in 6 weeks and it will drop in value as a result.

I agree with the posts about being respectful and courteous to the seller - defo a case of play the ball not the man. It costs nothing to be nice in this case.

Dealers don't have calenders? They know, all too well. Most used cars just don't drop come January first, all be it there might be sales etc, but it takes a few weeks for used prices to settle, see what's making what etc. etc.

People have such a bad attitude towards salespeople.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Ferris

Dealers don't have calenders? They know, all too well. Most used cars just don't drop come January first, all be it there might be sales etc, but it takes a few weeks for used prices to settle, see what's making what etc. etc.

I know they don't drop right away on Jan 1st but they do drop shortly afterwards. Cars are depretiating assets and they know that. Its no harm to point it out that you know aswell - politely of course.

Also they have to make way for the new stock they will get from peoples trade ins in the new year - although that may not be huge problem this year.

Ferris wrote: »
    I know they don't drop right away on Jan 1st but they do drop shortly afterwards. Cars are depretiating assets and they know that. Its no harm to point it out that you know aswell - politely of course.

Also they have to make way for the new stock they will get from peoples trade ins in the new year - although that may not be huge problem this year.

Aye, a fella came in last week, and i went through the whole car with him etc. etc. then he turns to me and says "It'll still be here January, and the price will be lower, so i'll be back then". And walked away, seeming very confident. Although, he was more than likely right:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Ferris

Aye, a fella came in last week, and i went through the whole car with him etc. etc. then he turns to me and says "It'll still be here January, and the price will be lower, so i'll be back then". And walked away, seeming very confident. Although, he was more than likely right:o

Although it isn't good for you - you have to say fair play to him, sure if he misses the one you're selling there will always be another one in Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,153 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

generally because a lot of car salespeople are awful, either tell you blatant lies or are just misinformed.

the amount of false information ive corrected people on in bmw dealerships is embarassing and then they are thick with you because they cant be bothered to know their product!!

i know there are good uns out there, and to be fair the salespeople who post on boards seem to be very well informed and very helpful so this is not a slight on any of you.

i just hate the crap some of them spout, best on i heard recently is that bmws dont depreciate, sure they are bmws.

in one of the main franchised dealers in the south east :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Aye, a fella came in last week, and i went through the whole car with him etc. etc. then he turns to me and says "It'll still be here January, and the price will be lower, so i'll be back then". And walked away, seeming very confident. Although, he was more than likely right

The strongest tactic you have in negotiation is the ability to walk away, to take the ball and go home.

Fair play to him for having the patience and confidence.

The strongest tactic you have in negotiation is the ability to walk away, to take the ball and go home.

Fair play to him for having the patience and confidence.

Fair play to him is right. People normally say, oh ya i'll come back with or for reasons etc. etc. and he just told it as it was.

Alot of salesmen don't know what they're talking about, i try to be very straight with people. No bull****ting, to the point. If people are traveling, or ring on the phone, i tend to be very genuine with the body work mileage etc. etc. unlike some people i've come across. It's a tough game to be in, especially the whole personalilty type associated with salespeople.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If a car is listed as 3 grand, I take it ye can't knock much off that? There's a few dents and scratches on it, it would seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

On a recent trade-in for a new car I got €12,100 off the new car price. The car was then serviced, valeted, and filled with pertrol by the dealer and sold on for €11,950. I would say the marign of profit for dealers is less than zero in the 2nd hand market at the mo' so their margin for bargaining will also be low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,220 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You're buying a car from me, you don't get my dignity & pride thrown in to the deal...
    Ahh someone is forgetting rule of acquisition #109:
    Dignity and an empty sack are still worth an empty sack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

yknaa wrote: »
    On a recent trade-in for a new car I got €12,100 off the new car price. The car was then serviced, valeted, and filled with pertrol by the dealer and sold on for €11,950. I would say the marign of profit for dealers is less than zero in the 2nd hand market at the mo' so their margin for bargaining will also be low

You didn't really get 12K off the new car price. If I walked in with cash I probably would ahve gotten 2-3K off the new car price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

You didn't really get 12K off the new car price. If I walked in with cash I probably would ahve gotten 2-3K off the new car price.

True but I wasn't walking in off the road with and the reduction I got was from the 'on the road' price. My point was the margin made in the 2nd hand market must be low (what ever about the profits on new cars v. trade-in's and cash)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

Sorry to go off topic a little but if buying a used car from a Uk trader
    what is the best approach?

I assume they are in no ways interested in taking in an Irish car as
    part exchange?

If buying straight are you far more likely to get a discount if paying cash
    or part cash if say for example I was buying a car for approx £6000-£7000 sterling?

Are Uk traders normally cautious with irish buyers unless they are willing
    to pay in cash? Or would an irish bank draft be as acceptable?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I very much doubt an Irish car would interest them at all. Check out this thread about importing from the UK, I'd say it covers everything you asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

the_syco wrote: »
    If a car is listed as 3 grand, I take it ye can't knock much off that? There's a few dents and scratches on it, it would seem.
    It all depends on the actual car. If it's well priced at €3k you can expect nothing off, if it's overpriced at €3k then you should offer less.

Advertisement