Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 20mb line? Read this...

• 10-11-2008 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Can anyone on NTL's 20mb line please login to their modem (192.168.100.1), go to the 'signal' page and tell me what the 'Bit Rate' says under the 'Downstream Channel' section. Would even be worth checking regardless what package your on actually.
    Mine says 42884296 bits/sec which is about 5.3mb/sec... far from the 20mb/sec I'm paying for. Rang NTL and they haven't a clue, going through the usual 'is your computer plugged in routine. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Shigsy wrote: »
    Can anyone on NTL's 20mb line please login to their modem (192.168.100.1), go to the 'signal' page and tell me what the 'Bit Rate' says under the 'Downstream Channel' section. Would even be worth checking regardless what package your on actually.
    Mine says 42884296 bits/sec which is about 5.3mb/sec... far from the 20mb/sec I'm paying for. Rang NTL and they haven't a clue, going through the usual 'is your computer plugged in routine. :mad:
    Nothing to worry about its the same as my 20Mb connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Surely that means we should both worry? :confused:

Can you run a speedtest here please: http://speedtest.magnet.ie/
    I'm consistently getting 800 - 850kb/sec download, when I should be hitting about 2200mb/sec

Nope I get my full speed Shigsy

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Downstream Status
    Operational

Channel ID

Downstream Frequency
    482000100 Hz

Modulation
    256QAM

Bit Rate
    42884296 bits/sec

Power Level
    3.5 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
    41.1 dBmV

^^ mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What's your bandwidth on here: http://www.irishisptest.com/

• Advertisement

Argh... what's up with mine so? Been pretty bad for a few weeks now. Any ideas?

dlofnep wrote: »
    What's your bandwidth on here: http://www.irishisptest.com/

How does this even work? I went to the free test page (where I dont need to register) and it asks me to pick my provider and speed. The list doesnt have 20mb so I picked 24mb and nothing happens. Looks like the browser loaded some Java applet but I dont see anything (I see an orange Java logo if I refresh the page), and there is no button and no results. I have Java enabled and working fine for other java related wigits etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

This feature is not enabled.
    This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.

Please contact your data services provider for more information about this feature and its availability on the network.

To exit this page, click on the "Back" button on your browser tool bar to return to the previous page or click on the "System" link above.

Mine at home apparently! or so the housemate tells me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

That's 5.3MB (big B = Bytes!!!)

It's actually: 42884296 / 1000 = 42884 KiloBITS
    and then: 42884 / 1000 = 42.88 MegaBITS
    and you can do: 42.88 / 8 = 5.3 MegaBYTES (or 5.3MB - big B)

Your 20Mb connection will give you 20/8 = 2.5MB/sec, however this doesn't include overheads which will bring it down to about 2.2MB or 2.3MB/sec.

Anyway, that speed which the modem quotes is the speed of the downstream transport stream which is what the data is sent out to you on. That 42Megabits (42Mb - little b) is then divided by x many number of users - that figure depends entirely on the contention ratio UPC setup up your local cable segment with - the contention ratio is then quoted as being the number of users x:1.
    kaimera wrote:
    Mine at home apparently! or so the housemate tells me!
    Yep some of their modems are locked out by password so you can't get at any of the diagnostic or setting screens.

How does this even work? I went to the free test page (where I dont need to register) and it asks me to pick my provider and speed. The list doesnt have 20mb so I picked 24mb and nothing happens. Looks like the browser loaded some Java applet but I dont see anything (I see an orange Java logo if I refresh the page), and there is no button and no results. I have Java enabled and working fine for other java related wigits etc
    Best way to test your connection is download a large file like http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/OpenBSD/4.4/xenocara.tar.gz alternatively use http://speedtest.magnet.ie/ which I find the best of the speedtest sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Are u using a wireless connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

UPC does not want me to know what I get or can get because when I click on "signal" I'm getting this:

Please contact your data services provider for more information about this feature and its availability on the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

UPC does not want me to know what I get or can get because when I click on "signal" I'm getting this:

I've been having dismal speeds lately in the evening times too.

Rang UPC last night and after getting through to the tech support, I was asked by a really patient and smart girl to do some tests on the modem. Unfortunately, the line dropped and I ended up talking to some guy who was about to kill himself due to working at 7pm in the evening as tech support. No Help whatsover from him or his supervisor who tested the modem remotely and all tests returned "fine" as he achieved maximum speed I should be getting when all the speed tests for me were returning 6000kbps (UPC 20meg line). Really should have asked him for details of the results to be sent to my email address.

Anyway, I amused them and called the premium tech support number for no longer than 3 minutes (95 cent per minute), and cut the line after I was asked "What do I use my computer for?" without even being asked If I was on a mac or pc, or what broadband package I have with Chorus. (don't call the 1550 number ever, its a waste of time).

I rang them back telling them the premium number is a waste of time and asked for an email address of their tech support/cust service so I can send all the details regarding the state of my broadband package in more detail than i can conway using the phone support system.

Anyway... sorry for the rant.

If you want to access the "secret" options of the Scientific Atlantic modem.

Connect to http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp

Username: admin
    Password: W2402

From the Access Level, select Access Level 3

Leave the username blank.

Enter W2402 as password

If it works, you should be able to access all options, if you get an error, go back and enter the username as well. Mine worked with password only.
    Downstream Status
    Operational

Channel ID

Downstream Frequency
    418750000 Hz

Modulation
    256QAM

Bit Rate
    42884296 bits/sec

Power Level
    8.6 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
    38.8 dBmV

^^ mine

screenshot006zk4.png

Can anyone who manages to access the Level 3 menus go to this page:

http://192.168.100.1/LineDiag.asp

See if you can actually do a line test. I would guess this is where the Chorus/UPC tech support people go to do a line test from the modem itself. Both options for me are N/A which means the tests cannot be done, which could mean they never tested the line originally when they told me it was working, allegedly.

Frequency 426 MHz
    Status Locked
    Annex EuroDOCSIS
    Modulation QAM256
    Receive Power 3.7 dBmV
    Signal to Noise ratio 39.6 dB

My dBmV never goes above 4.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

i get this and can view everythin on the modem page
    353930825.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Thanks adnans for the instructions.

I get this:

Downstream Status Operational
    Channel ID 22
    Downstream Frequency 418750000 Hz
    Modulation 256QAM
    Bit Rate 42884296 bits/sec
    Power Level 16.0 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio 40.6 dBmV

And running the magnet.ie test I get:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 15045 kbps (1880.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1464 kbps (183 KB/sec transfer rate)

For me that is normal in the morning, it picks up after 1200 until about 2000 when it goes down again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thanks for the password info adnans. mailed it home and will have a go tonight.

am cursious to see what's what as my bandwidth tests wander between 8mbps and 18mbps even if I run them a couple of minutes apart and I get the same thing from multiple different testing sites.

I'll try it when i get home anyway and post the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

adnans wrote: »
    See if you can actually do a line test. I would guess this is where the Chorus/UPC tech support people go to do a line test from the modem itself. Both options for me are N/A which means the tests cannot be done, which could mean they never tested the line originally when they told me it was working, allegedly.
    The Line Diagnostics is only for the two phone ports on the back of your Scientific Atlanta modem. It has N/A because, presumably you don't have the UPC phone service from them? It's nothing to do with the cable signal.

BTW everyone will have the 42884296 bits/sec figure in their diagnostic menus. You guys must be living in an area with a lot of people who have NTL broadband. Since that 42Megabits figure is shared between EVERYONE on your cable area, if 10 people in your area have NTL broadband then that 42Mb can turn into you receiving a 4.2Mb download speed (if everyone was on 10Mb), as that 42Mb is divied up between all 10 people so if they're all online at the same time your speed will reduce.

All it takes is two people with a 20Mb connection and you'll start to get contention = slower speeds for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

I'm getting about 4 meg download these days :(

when i first got it in i was getting the full 20Meg, every time i call them i get transfered to the customer support instead of tech support...they keep asking me the same question am i using wireless? called them every day this week...still havent managed to get a tech guy on the phone

If you want to see the sync rates of your cable modem try this program:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag/

It needs to be run from a command prompt by running java -jar docsdiag.jar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

.. and people wonder why cable modems are generally locked down in the first place..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Petter

I have 20MB connection, but I can't even download 200 kb/s. It's connected to router by WLAN, but I tried with LAN and got same result.

They are doing some contruction work here in Sandyford and signs say NTL, so hopefully this will improve.

This was the best result I got today:
    359994880.png

I have no idea why I am paying 40e for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bears

hey guys i have ntl 20mb conncetion and i noramlly get a speed round 6mb to 9mb. but thing is if you use speedtest and ping dublin you will get a low speed around 6mb but if you ping london you will get a higher speed return.

reason been is ntl is an english company and the lines are all coming from england. i didnt beleive it at first but i was told by a good friend off mine that actually knows what he talking about.

anyway just wanted to show you this

http://www.speedtest.net/result/332351700.png

that was test was taken at 05.30 am before i headed to college. the reason been i wanted to see what the connection was like at that time in the morning. seriously if you ping london you will get a higher rate then ping dublin crazy i know but it works. also tried limerick a little higher then dublin to. im in work now but ill post my test shots later. when i get home this evening.

also during the day i can download 700mb in around 20minutes on torrents last o0ne i got was bond and had it in 15-20minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Bears wrote: »

reason been is ntl is an english company and the lines are all coming from england. i didnt beleive it at first but i was told by a good friend off mine that actually knows what he talking about.

He doesn't.

We are part of the UPC group now, and have been for some time. NTL are long gone from the old NTL that we were linked with when we shared common infrastructure with NTL (UK). NTL (UK) were taken over by Virgin Media...

A lot of peering is now done through mainland Europe.

Tell your friend... :)

UPC or chello, a dutch company route through the Netherlands.

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

Look at that fiber power 120

120MB/10MB

For 80 e a month :)))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

How can they charge €15 pm for Internet starter (Download 384 Kbps Upload 128 Kbps ) and €10 pm for Internet easy (Download 1,5 Mbps Upload 256 Kbps) ??

Rip off! :p

Never mind - saw it's only a 6 month offer.

He doesn't.

We are part of the UPC group now, and have been for some time. NTL are long gone from the old NTL that we were linked with when we shared common infrastructure with NTL (UK). NTL (UK) were taken over by Virgin Media...

A lot of peering is now done through mainland Europe.

Tell your friend... :)

will do
    thanks

cisk wrote: »
    UPC or chello, a dutch company route through the Netherlands.

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

Look at that fiber power 120

120mb/10mb

For 80 e a month :)))

fiber 120 looks awesome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

Username: admin
    Password: W2402

Tried that ...says I have the wrong username and password??

Advertisement