Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

de frosting wine as an ingredient

• 10-11-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

got this tip somewhere once and find it v handy and a great way to re-use that left over wine. however, prob a stupid question but after de-frosting wine for a dish, can that same dish (with otherwise fresh ingredients) not be then frozen? i know u can't re-freeze food but is it the same for wine? i made a fresh casserole using de-frosted wine and was hoping to throw the extra back in freezer...:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No problem at all. And BTW you can refreeze previously frozen food, all that happens is the cells explode and can alter the texture and hence the taste due to this. There is no fear of bacteria, that is a common myth. Manufacturers do not want a bad rep so tell you not to refreeze. Since wine has nothing to alter the texture of it is fine.

If defrosting meat it should be done in the fridge, this is since the core could be frozen while the outer layer is at room temp and festering in the warmth.

Freezing wine is a great idea BTW, you could fill an ice tray or ice cube bags. I freeze natural yoghurt that way, for tandoori chicken, and smoothies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Saw that tip on one of nigellas shows, works a treat only prob never really any leftover wine in my house

Advertisement