Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N85, Is this a safe buy?

• 10-11-2008 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I am interested in the N85, seems like a decent phone with great features and reviews. A bit bloody expensive as yet though. So I had a look on ebay.

Do you reckon this is a safe bet?
    Link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

KStaford wrote: »
    Hi folks

I am interested in the N85, seems like a decent phone with great features and reviews. A bit bloody expensive as yet though. So I had a look on ebay.

Do you reckon this is a safe bet?
    Link

do not buy off ecell

if you want the phone anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

do not buy off ecell

if you want the phone anytime soon

Is this based on your own personal experience or are you aware of many different people having problems with the seller?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd probably get the n82 myself. I think the n82 can be got on expansys for €400 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is this based on your own personal experience or are you aware of many different people having problems with the seller?

look at the feedback

http://feedback.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=e_cell&iid=200273550945&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=30

I'd probably get the n82 myself. I think the n82 can be got on expansys for €400 as well.

Hey Conn

whats the deal with the N82, hadn't come across it yet - so Im off now to research it. How does it differ from N85 ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hey Conn

whats the deal with the N82, hadn't come across it yet - so Im off now to research it. How does it differ from N85 ?

It's cheaper for one. Also the n82 has a xenon flash, the n85 uses two leds. The xenon is better. The n85 has a bigger, oled screen which is meant to be quite good but I've heard it has quite a limited lifespan (not sure how reliable that is). It also has an fm transmitter, would that be something you'd use much? Also, I prefer the looks of the n82 (haven't seen either in the flesh though).

When you say limited lifespan, what do you mean? 6 moths? 2 years?

When it comes to the flash, I would not really care, wont be taking too many photos indoors with it.

I love the idea of the fm transmitter in the N85 and wud definately use that a lot in the car.

I have dome some sniffing about for the following

Screen Size
    ========
    N82 - 2.4"
    N85 - 2.6 " - - Touch-sensitive Navi wheel

3G Connectivity
    ==========
    N82 - HSDPA 2100
    N85 - HSDPA 1900 / 2100 / 900, HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 (HSDPA 3.6Mbs)

Standby Battery life
    =============
    N82 - 363hrs
    N85 - 225hrs

I'm just not sure I'm ready for a sliding form factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭kirving

I got an n78 off ecell, the delivery took slightly longer than expected. And the phone was from hong kong. That means no warranty here, disable FM transmitter and a differeny looking keyboard. I returned it no problem whatsoever.

Test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Test
    test what? :confused:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055372303&highlight=n85

has a long list of people's experiences.

I bought my n85 off Ecell for 380 euros over christmas, its perfect and it arrived when they said it would. Though their ebay page says they deliever it in 2 or 3 days, there is a proviso that for mobiles, delivery will be delayed by 5 days or so (because they import them from the far east and them send them on to you from manchester)

A LOT of people seemed to have horror stories about the phones they recieved from Ecell though, despite their good rep on ebay.

For what its worth, I'm thrilled with my N85, all singing all dancing. Battery life is average but the feature list is huge for a pretty sleek little phone IMO

good review here
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/02/10/review_smartphone_nokia_n85/

• Advertisement

theCzar wrote: »
    test what? :confused:

I was having some weird issue at the time and I was just testing something.

Advertisement