Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with my dog?

Options
  • 10-11-2008 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Is it cruel to leave my dog inside the house while I go to work? Its getting colder and wetter outside and he wont use his dog house. So do you think I should leave him inside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Do you work full time or part time?
    Could there be a reason he has gone off his dog house , is it draughty or facing the wind ? If he finds it uncomfortable he won't want to use it.
    My vet doesn't recommend leaving our dog for more than 4 hours if we can help it, the most she is alone is about an hour and a half if I go to do a big shop as I can't bring her with me. IMO I don't think it would be cruel to bring him in as long as he has toys to play with , fresh water and food till you come back.
    Also if you could buy him a Kong toy that you put food in ( a paste that you can get in the pet shop ) or even peanut butter would do , put it inside the Kong and leave it out for him , he will spend quite a while enjoying licking the paste out of it.
    Why don't you try it and see , maybe for the first few times make sure you are only away for a short time and see how he is when you come back.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

His kennel is less than a year old and is against two walls and has styrofoam under it so I dont think its cold. He just never liked it. I would be gone for 8 hours. Its only a temporary thing as I will switch back to nights in two weeks

Today I went out and bought him some new toys and one of them food and water thing with the timer on them so he wil have food throughout the day.

Tomorrow I am going to get up a half hour early, take him for a walk and leave him in for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

My mam leaves our dog out in the morn n takes him in at lunch time.. She'll leave the TV on n he'll watch that or else the radio n he'll happily play with his toys all day...

On really bad days he's in all day, he doesn't seem to mind it... Mind u he hates being outside

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Well its only my opinion but 8 hours cooped up alone seems too long even if you do bring him for a walk in the morning, he will have slept that off about 2 hours after you have gone, which leaves him with 6 hours to kill until you get back.
    You know it is only for 2 weeks but your dog doesn't.:)
    Will he have somewhere to go to the toilet while you are gone? , there is a lot to think about most importantly how your dog will react to being stuck in for such a long time alone if he is not used to it.

Advertisement