Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warwick closing down?

Options
  • 10-11-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Over the weekend, I heard that the Warwick is closing down. I had many a good night there over the years but haven't darkened it's doorstep in 4 or 5 years.

Anyone hear this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Eek! Now have to confess to not being there in YONKS myself until recently...and had a ball! Part of it was pure nostalgia, I admit.
    Sad to see it go if that's true...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

But where will the disenfranchised youth go?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Haven't been in there for yonks as well. Shame it did seem to have some character to it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Asok wrote: »
    But where will the disenfranchised youth go?!
    You've been away too long Sok. They moped en masse to the Roisin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Robbo wrote: »
    You've been away too long Sok. They moped en masse to the Roisin.

Yeah, I was there 2 years ago and it was all late twenty's early thirties there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Been there once or twice few years ago - definately a weird (in a good way) oul spot

Was there last new years (it's where all the hip kids go once a year, y'know) and considering i'm only in my early 20's - I felt old as f00k - i'd say average age was 17/18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

a friend of mien is having his 21st there soon, so I presume not closing in the near future. Never been there before myself, though I hear its a dive!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Over the weekend, I heard that the Warwick is closing down. I had many a good night there over the years but haven't darkened it's doorstep in 4 or 5 years.

Anyone hear this?
    I haven't heard that at all. Is it closing for refurbishments or closing for good? Isn't it the only nightclub left in Salthill now? I'm going to show my age and reminisce about CJs, Vagabonds, The Oslo and The Castle/Depot for a bit now :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

a friend of mien is having his 21st there soon, so I presume not closing in the near future. Never been there before myself, though I hear its a dive!

Dont know where you heard its a dive because its not, it has a very nice bar both upstairs and downstairs lovely staff and great food. I have not heard its closing either maybe they are cutting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

NO!! What happens to the 3-4 Saw Doctors concerts they have there every year?! Please say it's not closing down until after Christmas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

You often hear places are "closing down" and it never happens. Could be just a rumour to start people talking and drum up business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Xenophon

The Warwick has been around for so long and survived so many hard times, it's difficult to believe they'd shut up shop!

I spent nearly every weekend in the nightclub from the late 80's to mid 90's, and my grandad played in bands there in the 50's, so it's definitely nostalgic for me.

Perhaps they've spent too much on doing the place up over the last few years for too little return. And given the huge glut of hotel space country-wide, they would not be the first hotel to shut its doors this year.

Sad if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

malice_ wrote: »
    I haven't heard that at all. Is it closing for refurbishments or closing for good? Isn't it the only nightclub left in Salthill now? I'm going to show my age and reminisce about CJs, Vagabonds, The Oslo and The Castle/Depot for a bit now :).

Remember twiggs? Ahh took an accidental headbutt there once,wanted to hold my nose and cry but had to take it like a man. Ahh yea the memories.

Remember twiggs? Ahh took an accidental headbutt there once,wanted to hold my nose and cry but had to take it like a man. Ahh yea the memories.
    Was that what the Oasis once was or was it somewhere else?

Talking of headbutts, when Bullet With Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins was released as a single, I clattered some poor guy while moshing in Vagabonds. The front of his head was going down just as the back of my head was going up and bang, lots of blood. Thankfully none of it was mine. My head was sore the following day but I blamed the excessive consumption of Southern Comfort for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

malice_ wrote: »
    Was that what the Oasis once was or was it somewhere else?
    !

The Oasis was next door to the Warwick. It then became Liquid followed by Angels gentleman's club *cough cough* and then something else which died a death very quickly.

ErnieBert wrote: »
    The Oasis was next door to the Warwick. It then became Liquid followed by Angels gentleman's club *cough cough* and then something else which died a death very quickly.
    Thanks for that but my question was where the Twiggs that quietobserver referred to is. I remember the Oasis from all of the incarnations that you refer you :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I think Twiggs may have been Vagabonds, before Vagabonds became Vagabonds :pac:.
    Could be wrong tho'.

Used to love the Warwick in the mid '90s. Haven't been there in ages, last time I was there would've been for a few gigs, Lemonheads, Dinosaur Jr & Electric Six.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Twiggs was in the Eglinton Hotel, near ther Garda station

Advertisement