Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coldplay

Options
  • 10-11-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me just what everybodys problem is with coldplay. I have 3 albums and think their songs are genuinely very good songs. Ive seen them live and they were 10 outta 10. Thought they might have peaked before last album. Along came viva la vida. just brilliant
    Ive seen lots of posts with pure hatred for them. ??????????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

See sig for details.

I dunno, I don't hate Coldplay, it's just that I don't get them. There's something mildly irritating about them that I can't quite put my finger on, and all their best stuff comes from other, better bands. I don't bear them any ill will or anything, but I do have a friend who loves to chew my ear off about how special and unique they are, and it makes me oddly and irrationally resentful...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

See sig for details.

I dunno, I don't hate Coldplay, it's just that I don't get them. There's something mildly irritating about them that I can't quite put my finger on, and all their best stuff comes from other, better bands. I don't bear them any ill will or anything, but I do have a friend who loves to chew my ear off about how special and unique they are, and it makes me oddly and irrationally resentful...
    thats exactly wat i mean. you dont like them and you dont no why. is it a commercial thing? prob not because you prob like other bands considered commercial. i dont get it. if you said you didnt like any new, say oasis stuff thatd work because their more recent stuff is not good. The songs are just poor. But coldplay are still writing proper songs. So i dont think its that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Well, Coldplay are very unoriginal, uneventfull and boring. They don't have anything that makes them stand out (from a bad bunch) and don't seem to be musically talented at all and always use a very very basic song structure. Overated in everyway, in which their commercial success coming from their record companies' ability to splash it's cash, instead of their music alone. And it's well proven, that the more a radio station plays a song, the more popular it becomes, and I'm not talking about people "getting" to like it, I'm talking about people "being made" to like it.

There's just something about them that seems a little bit too... needy? I don't know, I have to admit it's really hard to articulate. They remind me of that kid in school who's just trying too hard to be liked.

Nailz wrote: »
    Well, Coldplay are very unoriginal, uneventfull and boring. They don't have anything that makes them stand out (from a bad bunch) and are don't seem to be musically talented at all and always use a very very basic song structure. Overated in everyway, in which their commercial success coming from their record companies' ability to splash it's cash, instead of their music alone. And it's well proven, that the more a radio station plays a song, the more popular it becomes, and I'm not talking about people "getting" to like it, I'm talking about people "being made" to like it.
    See thats it. I cant see how there music is unoriginal.
    theyve changed their sound since they started.much more keyboard orientated now so i cant see how theyre uneventful. (coldplay would change their sound and be considered useless. If someone like radiohead did it would be genius)
    I only saw them once but the thousands of people there certainly didnt find them boring
    I wonder if they were not huge. Would everyone who knew them think they were brill then. Id love to know

• Advertisement

Well the Smiths seemed "needy", and by-fùck were they articulate!!! And they are a top band, thought their fans were hateful at the time. So I doubt that could be their only fault...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Liked the first album, the songs have nice textures to them and there are some very catchy melodies on guitar/vocals, but anything afterward I found to be unappealing.

davylee wrote: »
    See thats it. I cant see how there music is unoriginal.
    theyve changed their sound since they started.much more keyboard orientated now so i cant see how theyre uneventful. (coldplay would change their sound and be considered useless. If someone like radiohead did it would be genius)
    I only saw them once but the thousands of people there certainly didnt find them boring
    I wonder if they were not huge. Would everyone who knew them think they were brill then. Id love to know
    D-post, sorry (Edit: ...or not).

Unoriginal as by ways of popular culture in music. They bring nothing to the table. They may sound different to a few bands, but they're doing nothing to push it away from the normal. Which also counts for the keyboards and stuff like that, I can't see how keyboards can now all of a sudden make them eventful. Lots of bands do that sort of thing without passing any remarks to it (eg. Iron Maiden on Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son). Also, I see Radiohead on the same level as Coldplay so that doesn't help your case. Some people would like them (if they weren't huge) because somebody everyway would like to seem alternative, so therefore every band would have a fan no matter how crap they are, but generally, they wouldn't be noticed. And also, those few thousand people should have some sence and stop listening to daytime national radio.

Thank you very much Gerry Ryan... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

coldplay are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

They have nothing new to offer since a rush of blood to the head basically. Every album they've done since then sounds exactly like that. Parachutes was fresh, but everything after that seems to be a rehash of everything they've done since.

I'm loving it, Coldplay have become the new U2 as far as band hatred as concerned, yet they haven't even accomplished a tenth of what U2 have. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Have to say loved Coldplay's first album but got a bit pissed of listening to them for a while cos they really seemed to be trying hard to be U2. I like the new album, some cracking songs on it. I have to admit though that part of me getting peeved of with them was probably due to their commercial success. I went through a phase where I was a complete and utter music snob. Once a band or songwriter went too commercial(such as snow patrol or damien rice who i liked before they were big), I scoffed at their music. Nowadays though I'm far more laid back when it comes to music-if its catchy and not annoying i'll like it even if its not 'cool'. I lead a happier existence since i gave up trying not to like commercial music.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah you could give a million reasons as to why there's so much negativity towards Coldplay. Stuff like being too needy, unoriginal, the fact that Chris Martin looks and dances like a Geography teacher, naming his kids after pieces of fruit, etc. etc. But the simple fact is that the reason why you hear so many negative comments about them is because just like U2 they're very famous and being slated just comes with the territory.

It doesn't make them any less or any better as a band it just means that because of success you just hear more from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Loved the whole first album. Thought it was absolutely superb.

All went a bit **** after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

At the end of the day it's not cool to like Coldplay and I think that's were the majority of the hatred comes from. One of the best live bands on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I don't have a problem with them. They're just boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

One of my favourite bands , done 4 great albums imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

great band with great songs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I bought Coldplay's first three albums. I was really into them for a while and I really enjoyed any live performances on the t.v. Live you see the mad hyper charisma of Chris Martin, Chris's piano skills (such as they are), Johnny Buckland's Edge-like guitar skills and some vocal harmonies. There is definitely an atmosphere at Coldplay's concerts which reminds me of U2 - the fromtman's presence, the guitar sound and, a bit pretentious here I know, the spiritual vibes.

Have to admit, having been absolutely bowled over by their whole sound, that I have cooled (sorry - no pun intended) a bit. I still think that each of those three albums are very good - at the moment, I think X and Y shades it. That's despite the fact there are a couple of songs on it I'm not too keen on. I like all the songs on "A Rush of Blood to The Head", but, somehow, X and Y, is that bit better. Parachutes was a good debut, but the next two albums were better.

For some reason, I just can't work up the enthusiasm to purchase album #4. Is this a case of a novelty wearing off? Only time will tell.

Nailz wrote: »
    D-post, sorry (Edit: ...or not).

Unoriginal as by ways of popular culture in music. They bring nothing to the table. They may sound different to a few bands, but they're doing nothing to push it away from the normal. Which also counts for the keyboards and stuff like that, I can't see how keyboards can now all of a sudden make them eventful. Lots of bands do that sort of thing without passing any remarks to it (eg. Iron Maiden on Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son). Also, I see Radiohead on the same level as Coldplay so that doesn't help your case. Some people would like them (if they weren't huge) because somebody everyway would like to seem alternative, so therefore every band would have a fan no matter how crap they are, but generally, they wouldn't be noticed. And also, those few thousand people should have some sence and stop listening to daytime national radio.

Thank you very much Gerry Ryan... :rolleyes:

Push away from the normal? how can anyone say viva la vida is not away from the norm. totally unique (esp within the pop scene)

I bought Coldplay's first three albums. I was really into them for a while and I really enjoyed any live performances on the t.v. Live you see the mad hyper charisma of Chris Martin, Chris's piano skills (such as they are), Johnny Buckland's Edge-like guitar skills and some vocal harmonies. There is definitely an atmosphere at Coldplay's concerts which reminds me of U2 - the fromtman's presence, the guitar sound and, a bit pretentious here I know, the spiritual vibes.

Have to admit, having been absolutely bowled over by their whole sound, that I have cooled (sorry - no pun intended) a bit. I still think that each of those three albums are very good - at the moment, I think X and Y shades it. That's despite the fact there are a couple of songs on it I'm not too keen on. I like all the songs on "A Rush of Blood to The Head", but, somehow, X and Y, is that bit better. Parachutes was a good debut, but the next two albums were better.

For some reason, I just can't work up the enthusiasm to purchase album #4. Is this a case of a novelty wearing off? Only time will tell.
    good post. your very right about his charisma. comes across fantastic i think. but alot of people seem to be comparing them to u2. fair enough the frontman thing but dont see any real other similarities.
    Spiritual vibes - i think i see wat your on about. Theyre presence nd performances create sum atmosphere. Hard to explain

• Advertisement

Seriously, everything I've heard from Viva..., at best just sounds like a really watered-down Arcade Fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I like Coldplay, I think their albums have improved from first to last...
    Seriously, everything I've heard from Viva..., at best just sounds like a really watered-down Arcade Fire.

The track Lovers In Japan from their latest album has a very Arcade Fire vibe about it alright (Neighborhood no.3 Power Out)!!

Everytime I hear Violet Hill I think it's Crown of Love. There's bits where the lyrics even start to sound familiar...

Push away from the normal? how can anyone say viva la vida is not away from the norm. totally unique (esp within the pop scene)
    It's hard to bore me, in that way it's away from the norm. Oh please, I heard it all before... From crappy old U2 anyway. Viva La Vida is terrible, nothing special about at all. They don't know how to make songs that don't bore you I'm afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

major problem with coldplay is they became "the biggest band in the world" by default when there were no good big bands around to fill the void, the worst part is they believe the hype and actually believe they are the best band in the world (well 7th)! the clothing thing seems very pretentious esp when it looks so crap, their music is nothing special, but not bad mind you, and chris martin is an attention grabbing nothing; like climbing out of windows in interviews, actively making an effort to never allowing himself and paltrow to be seen together in public.

just makes me want to slap him and tell him to get over himself really, i dont think he really gets into the music as much as he pretends on stage and that just plain annoys me and i think he thinks Coldplay are the next U2...

so really my main problem with coldplay is chris martin....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It's the same reason I dislike Oasis. They have one or two nice songs but quickly stagnate. If I heard 12 very similar songs on an album I wouldn't be happy. Yet these are bands that release 10 albums of very similar songs. It's alright when you hear the song on the radio, isolated. That's all they are to me though. Singles bands. Not artists, craftsmen.

They're hailed as these hugely important bands and as such are always asked about music. From their interviews you thing 'Wait... This person hasn't got a clue!' The fanboys who tote them as such great bands but instantly disperse if they were to try taking a new direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

They are music for people who don't like music that much, their lyrics are for the most part, rubbish. They are elevator music, simple, inoffensive, bland.

That being said, I'm sure I go along and hum at one of their concerts and totally enjoy myself, Radiohead's Kid A was amazing live, but I don't have much time for that in an album format either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Radiohead's Kid A was amazing live, but I don't have much time for that in an album format either.

Different kettle of fish altogether. That album is a landmark by a hugely relevant band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Can anyone tell me just what everybodys problem is with coldplay?
    • Lack of originality
    • Watered down version of Radiohead
    • Lame, wimpy music for dinner parties
    • Songs for men in touch with their feminine side
    • Public school boys with nothing to say on life
    • Overproduced sounds to appeal to radio listeners
    • Music that will not stand the test of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They are music for people who don't like music that much,
    I'm sorry but that's complete BS. So if you like Coldplay you don't like music? :rolleyes:

I absolutely hate music snobbery.

Advertisement