Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coldplay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

For some reason, I just can't work up the enthusiasm to purchase album #4. Is this a case of a novelty wearing off? Only time will tell.

If you own a copy of the Joshua Tree then don't bother buying #4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I don't mind Coldplay, but they certainly haven't developed into the band I hoped they would, regardless of their commercial success. They seemed so promising with their first two albums, but they don't seem to have grown musically.

X & Y got me thinking about it, and Vida confirmed it - there's one hell of a "best of" double album in their reportoire,(and a great live DVD too) but there's just too much filler that sounds like a flat version of the same few ideas.

They're surely getting some negative response to their popularity - lots of people just have to hate whoever is big at the time. That makes feck all difference to me, but I'm afraid it's just too much filler, not enough killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's complete BS. So if you like Coldplay you don't like music? :rolleyes:

I absolutely hate music snobbery.
    To be fair, he used a wrong monarch for such a discussion, but I can see what he means. Coldplay are a band who make simular songs to each other, then pick the most 'catchy' ones out for their singles. They are money orientated. So people only listen to them because they have a catchy single and a stronghold on popular music. These so-called fans don't listen to the band, they listen to the songs...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Nailz wrote: »
    They are money orientated.

With the exception of trappist monks isn't every music artist in some way.

Jayzuz I know it was safe as a brick house but that Parachutes album is brilliant. Safe, safe...but phew I'd wheel my granny in a hand cart straight into the arms of the Algerian white slave trade to have wrote one of the songs off the album.
    Life can't be all coke, vodka, heroin, hookers and TV's fecked from hotel windows. Some times the body needs a salad, smoothy and an early night and that's the end of the spectrum they supply too. They and many like them are the reason for the on/off button.

It does flipping annoy me how they're dressed so obviously by stylists though. Not a big gripe I know but they're grown lads being dressed by someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I can't stand Chris Martin - his voice is very weak and unbearably nasal and he seems like a smug, irritating tool. The band's music is just bland - "Yellow" is one of the most vile songs ever constructed lyrically and musically)

I used like a few of their songs (In My Place, Clocks) but I can't listen to them anymore because I just want Chris Martin to die.*

*ok maybe die is a bit harsh - I just wish I'd never have to hear him ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i like viva la vida quite a lot

fantastic album

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I can't stand Chris Martin - his voice is very weak and unbearably nasal and he seems like a smug, irritating tool. The band's music is just bland - "Yellow" is one of the most vile songs ever
    Nasal? He certainly has a week voice but it's not nasal.

And as for Yellow, you are sooooo wrong on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Loved the whole first album. Thought it was absolutely superb.

All went a bit **** after that.

Yes, I'd have a agree with that school of thought! I always thought they started off so well- so new and different but to me IMO they seem to be blending in a bit more these days- and not so original and different as they once were.... Maybe thats not their fault, I dunno, I'm sure it doesnt help that there are so many copycat bands out there too....
    Maybe its because of the copycat bands and thats why people are getting bored of the sound......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm not a Coldplay fan, but I will say: I really, really don't think Chris Martin is in it for the money. I really don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I'm sorry but that's complete BS. So if you like Coldplay you don't like music? :rolleyes:

Not snobbery, they sell to people who don't buy a lot of music. The people out there who like them because they hum along to them on the radio, maybe there's something I'm missing, here's an article on it, just swap matchbox 20 for Coldplay.

Matchbox Twenty Finally Finishes Watering Down Long-Awaited New Album
    SEPTEMBER 22, 2004 | ISSUE 40•38

LOS ANGELES—Executives at Atlantic Records announced Monday that multi-platinum recording artist Matchbox Twenty, which set sales records in 2000 for its mega-hit release Mad Season, has finally finished watering down tracks on its long-awaited new album Beige.

"Everyone here at Atlantic is thrilled about what's sure to be the biggest-selling, least-rocking record of the year," Atlantic public-relations spokeswoman Janet Cosgrove said. "It's been a long wait, but the incredibly boring results speak for themselves. Beige is bigger and blander than anything Matchbox Twenty has ever done."

"Grab a chair, America!" she added. "The most uninteresting band in formulaic, corporate radio is back!"

The release has been eagerly awaited by Matchbox Twenty's enormous fan base, composed of American record buyers who have a limited interest in music but enjoy the act of shopping. In order to satisfy the undemanding non-tastes of this lucrative market, Matchbox Twenty has made every effort to create what record-industry insiders say is the band's least distinctive album yet.

"Some were disappointed with the relatively limited reception to Matchbox Twenty's 2002 release More Than You Think You Are," Rolling Stone contributing editor Nathan Brackett said. "That album proved what record executives have known for years: It's actually very difficult to record a rock record that has no rock in it at all. But with this new release, Matchbox Twenty has really delivered on its signature non-sound."

After the enormous commercial success of 1996's Yourself Or Someone Like You, demand for simplistic, cookie-cutter output from the band has been high. Yet, according to Grammy-winning lead vocalist Rob Thomas, the new record's release was delayed repeatedly because of Matchbox Twenty's perfectionism in the studio.

"Our goal was to follow in the tradition of great multi-platinum artists like Elton John, Phil Collins, and the Dave Matthews Band—sales powerhouses who relied on the musical ignorance of their fans," Thomas told reporters following Monday's announcement. "We knew that if we wanted to match those historic giants for sheer lack of energy, we couldn't settle for anything less than total banality. And, though it took a lot of time and effort, I think we achieved that—an album that sets a new standard for trite crapola."

"It's really derivative and boring," he added.

Thomas said it was the expectations of listeners that drove the band to create the most average music possible.

"We wanted to give our fans exactly what they've come to expect: music so inoffensive and indistinct that it could be played virtually anywhere—a bank lobby, an SUV stuck in traffic, a party full of aging stockbrokers and their girlfriends. That's no small task. Even a lot of the most vacant and unimaginative people have some capacity to actively engage in the music they're listening to."

According to band members, hundreds of hours were spent in the studio trying to render the sound adequately benign.

"No matter how many times we recorded the new single 'Sitting Down (Hands At My Side),' there was still a certain 'oomph' coming through in the drums, a loud-ish, slightly gripping sound that we couldn't remove," drummer Paul Doucette said. "Finally, after running them through about two dozen filters, we managed to get that 'plastic spork hitting mashed potatoes' sound we were after."

There was a similar problem, band members said, with the guitar solos, some of which contained trace elements of what musicians call "passion." In addition, the interplay among bass, drums, and guitars occasionally produced uncomfortable polyrhythmic effects that provoked unintentional toe-tapping or head-bobbing in listeners. The problems were fixed through extensive re-recording.

"I'm satisfied that all the watering-down we put into this album was worth it," Thomas said. "My lyrics are super-bland, the bass might as well have been recorded on a keyboard, and just wait until you hear how dull we managed to make the guitars sound. It's amazing."

The band will introduce the album's first single next week on MTV's hugely popular, entirely insipid show Total Request Live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

I second that.
    If a band wants wants to play to full stadiums theyve sold out according to most people. Coldplay dont seem to be the sort of band influenced by the "rock and roll" lifestyle. Regardless of what people say they are into their music

To be fair, he used a wrong monarch for such a discussion, but I can see what he means. Coldplay are a band who make simular songs to each other, then pick the most 'catchy' ones out for their singles. They are money orientated. So people only listen to them because they have a catchy single and a stronghold on popular music. These so-called fans don't listen to the band, they listen to the songs...
    Id say 99% of bands pick their singles using that method
    Whats this they dont listen to the band they listen to the songs rubbish.
    You listen to a song. You like or you dont like.
    Calling people so called fans is ridiculous. The reason great bands are great is because they have great songs. individual taste says which bands are great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Coldplay are a band who make simular songs to each other, then pick the most 'catchy' ones out for their singles. They are money orientated. So people only listen to them because they have a catchy single and a stronghold on popular music. These so-called fans don't listen to the band, they listen to the songs...
    Are you for real? Did you actually read what you wrote?

"They write songs and then pick the best ones to put on the album"?? Ehh, that's what every band does.

And how is people listening to a band because they have catchy music a criticism?

And your last last comment has to be a p1ss take? "People only listen to their songs and not the band"??? :confused:

How can you listen to a band and not the songs? It doesn't make sense. And surely if people are only listening to their songs, how could they have fans?

Not snobbery, they sell to people who don't buy a lot of music.
    And you know this as a definite fact then?

The people out there who like them because they hum along to them on the radio, maybe there's something I'm missing
    People like them because they actually like them, there's nothing to miss about that. It's quite simple really.

As for the "article" Yawn :rolleyes:

Nasal? He certainly has a week voice but it's not nasal.

And as for Yellow, you are sooooo wrong on that one.

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not (I used more o's so I win! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

"They write songs and then pick the best ones to put on the album"?? Ehh, that's what every band does.

And how is people listening to a band because they have catchy music a criticism?

I'm not saying you're wrong but an album is meant to be a piece, it's not meant to be the best tracks and then some filler so they can sell it for more. A band of their genre should be looking for a bit more depth.

I'm not saying they're a bad band, I think Chris Martin is a pretty good guy. I'm just saying that I don't they're a very good band and that they're not really all that relevant.

Ooh, 5,999th post... What to do with number 6,000?

Kold wrote: »
    I'm not saying you're wrong but an album is meant to be a piece, it's not meant to be the best tracks and then some filler so they can sell it for more. A band of their genre should be looking for a bit more depth.
    Not necessarily. An album can be anything the artist wants it to be, it's there work after all. It's then up to the individual buying it or listening to it to decide if they like it or not.

And on the subject of "Albums" it would seem that since the birth of digital downloads they are becoming less and less relevant as people are just downloading the individual singles.

Don't get me wrong though, personally I still love albums and I like the way it can be a snapshot of where a particular band is at that moment in time.

I'm not saying they're a bad band, I think Chris Martin is a pretty good guy. I'm just saying that I don't they're a very good band and that they're not really all that relevant.
    But that's fair enough, but it's also only your opinion.

I think one of the best ways to gauge if a band is relevant or not is how many up and coming bands cite them as being and influence. I think time will tell on that one.

Gotta be a "Yore Ma" post!!

Mustard forum. Go. NOW
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Seriously, everything I've heard from Viva..., at best just sounds like a really watered-down Arcade Fire.

Is that just because its cool to like Arcade Fire? I like both bands and they both have strenghts and weaknesses. Arcade Fire have some damn boring songs that just dont seem to kick in and entertain me at all, so do Coldplay. But they both have amazing songs too, Arcade Fire's high points being better that Coldplays admittedly. I don't want to compare them, they only slightly sound alike in a couple of songs but it must be hard for every band to be completely unique all of the time. Editors and Interpol can sound alike, CSS and Ting Tings, Delorentos and Dirtector etc in places but you never hear people getting so worked up over them or others.

I would call myself a fan of Coldplay but I do think Chris Martin is a dick and I dont like the way he goes on...they have a good live show though and at the end of the day some really good music. So what if they have 'conventional' structures to their songs, not every music fan is too cool for school and only listens to 'alt' music all the time and hangs round Whelans and the Village four nights a week talking about bands that no one has heard of only to stop liking them when they get popular and 'sell out'.

faigs wrote: »
    Is that just because its cool to like Arcade Fire? I like both bands and they both have strenghts and weaknesses. Arcade Fire have some damn boring songs that just dont seem to kick in and entertain me at all, so do Coldplay. But they both have amazing songs too, Arcade Fire's high points being better that Coldplays admittedly. I don't want to compare them, they only slightly sound alike in a couple of songs but it must be hard for every band to be completely unique all of the time. Editors and Interpol can sound alike, CSS and Ting Tings, Delorentos and Dirtector etc in places but you never hear people getting so worked up over them or others.

Like I say, I actually do think Chris Martin is probably a nice fella. I don't think Coldplay are necessarily bad musicians, and I think they probably really do love music. What irks me about them is that they haven't got anything of their own, anything at all that I would recognise in a vacuum as "Coldplay's thing". All over their stuff, I just keep hearing it and thinking "Hmm, this bit sounds like U2. And Arcade Fire have already done that bit. Oh, and there's Radiohead again."

Everything I see and hear, from their lyrical style, to their instrumentation, to their look, all of it feels like something they saw elsewhere and decided to try out for themselves. For Arcade Fire in particular, and for entirely uncynical reasons, I think Coldplay looked at a band they liked and made a conscious decision to ape them. And sometimes to comic effect:

2594429964_256f689fbc.jpg

Like the needy kid in a playground biting the popular kid's style, they want to be as cool as a band they obviously admire very much, but by simply doing an impression of them, they've missed the point. Chris Martin likes Arcade Fire because they are Arcade Fire. There's already one of them, and trying to do exactly what they do will only ever, at best, let you be the second best Arcade Fire out there.

It frustrates me that Coldplay, who I really do think are decent dudes capable of decent music, just can't quite seem to take their own risks. I think they'd be a far better band if they could create their own identity.

I still don't quite hate them though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 seansmith06

Last album was crap and boring. They seemed to have dropped the piano, which was a big part of their sound. And he must be the worst frontman ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

I think Coldplay hatred has, despite denials to the contrary here, a lot to do with plain music snobbery.
    I used to be a bit of a music snob retard in the past as well and would've probably dismissed their uncool status then as well.

But tbh, the worst you can really say about Coldplay is they're a bit un-rock 'n roll maybe.
    Other than that they've had some cracking songs.

Last album was crap and boring. They seemed to have dropped the piano, which was a big part of their sound. And he must be the worst frontman ever.
    worst rotman ever. Obviously you have never seen them. and if you have you must be blind

Like I say, I actually do think Chris Martin is probably a nice fella. I don't think Coldplay are necessarily bad musicians, and I think they probably really do love music. What irks me about them is that they haven't got anything of their own, anything at all that I would recognise in a vacuum as "Coldplay's thing". All over their stuff, I just keep hearing it and thinking "Hmm, this bit sounds like U2. And Arcade Fire have already done that bit. Oh, and there's Radiohead again."

Everything I see and hear, from their lyrical style, to their instrumentation, to their look, all of it feels like something they saw elsewhere and decided to try out for themselves. For Arcade Fire in particular, and for entirely uncynical reasons, I think Coldplay looked at a band they liked and made a conscious decision to ape them. And sometimes to comic effect:

2594429964_256f689fbc.jpg

Like the needy kid in a playground biting the popular kid's style, they want to be as cool as a band they obviously admire very much, but by simply doing an impression of them, they've missed the point. Chris Martin likes Arcade Fire because they are Arcade Fire. There's already one of them, and trying to do exactly what they do will only ever, at best, let you be the second best Arcade Fire out there.

It frustrates me that Coldplay, who I really do think are decent dudes capable of decent music, just can't quite seem to take their own risks. I think they'd be a far better band if they could create their own identity.

I still don't quite hate them though.

looked at a band they liked and made a conscious decision to ape them.
    As the great paul mcCartney once said
    Good artists copy. Great artists steal

davylee wrote: »
    As the great paul mcCartney once said
    Good artists copy. Great artists steal

Did he say it to Oasis?

ba-dum-TISH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

lol, your music opinion is now null and void.
    What a ridiculous comment.

Thanks, I'm pretty depressed you think that, could you recommend some dull, vacuous and slightly depressing music I could listen to, just to set the mood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

davylee wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me just what everybodys problem is with coldplay. I have 3 albums and think their songs are genuinely very good songs. Ive seen them live and they were 10 outta 10. Thought they might have peaked before last album. Along came viva la vida. just brilliant
    Ive seen lots of posts with pure hatred for them. ??????????????
    I just find most of their stuff very dull - simple as. I do like some of their songs though. Viva La Vida is great, so is Violet Hill, and I really like Don't Panic and Politik. Clocks is very good too but overplayed so I'm sick of it.

I just think they're generally boring, nothing more than that. I'm not one of those people who'll dislike someone because they've become too commercial, or because it's the "cool" thing to do, or because I "refuse to listen to new stuff"... all of the above are fairly sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Radiohead?
    Exit Music maybe..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMqXj-eVCjI

Next beers you're getting an earful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm sorry but that's complete BS. So if you like Coldplay you don't like music?
    lol, your music opinion is now null and void.
    What a ridiculous comment.
    Nah, I know what Amazotheamazing means: you don't dislike music if you like Coldplay, however those who don't like music much do seem to be drawn to them. People who don't have much time for music, when they do like a song, it tends to be very bland and middle-of-the-road - and a lot of Coldplay's stuff fits into that category. Ditto Snow Patrol and Stereophonics. Again, both of whom have some good songs though.
    faigs wrote: »
    Is that just because its cool to like Arcade Fire?
    Well I've heard ripples of the Arcade Fire backlash (because they're becoming too mainstream... :rolleyes:). Ditto Kings of Leon.
    tech77 wrote: »
    I think Coldplay hatred has, despite denials to the contrary here, a lot to do with plain music snobbery.
    I used to be a bit of a music snob retard in the past as well and would've probably dismissed their uncool status then as well.

But tbh, the worst you can really say about Coldplay is they're a bit un-rock 'n roll maybe.
    Other than that they've had some cracking songs.
    Disagree. I don't have time for musical snobbery either but I think Coldplay are generally very dull and there are people of the same view as I - it's not an attempt to be cool. And they do have the odd very good song.

Advertisement