Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My car was stolen..theory on how it was done..

Options
  • 10-11-2008 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

My subaru legacy was stolen last week...hoping people will keep an eye out for it but I have a theory which I thought I would share with everyone as to how it was stolen.

About five weeks ago I came down one Saturday morning and the drivers window was smashed..... I assumed somebody tried to break in..saw the auto gearbox or something...and then just left..... got the window fixed and thought no more about it...

Then last week....went to work..came home at about 5:50pm....and car was gone..... Called the Gardai...they were quite good although gave me conflicting info about immobilisers on imports and cars after 98..... Anyway the short and long of it was the car was gone...no fresh broken glass on the driveway.... rules out thugs really..

Anyway..now for the theory... My Dad actually came up with this.... he thinks that when they smashed the window the last time they opened the bonnet and just got the chassis number.... then went off and got a key cut for it... Obviously have someone working in the trade who will do this for them...

The car is a 2.0 litre twin turbo estate.... would be great for a bank job.... tiptronic gears (not as fast as a manual I know) but you could fit five thugs and a big bag of swag in the back and still outrun the cops in their mondeo's....

So what do you think..... ?

Anyway here is the car...if you see it call the Gardai...

subaru.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Were did you buy the car????

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Beautiful car, I hope you get it back. You should post up the reg just in case someone spots it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Not sure about your model but on my Legacy and on a lot of cars the chassis number is displayed at the base of windscreen and can be seen by any passer-by. It should be difficult to get a key cut and programmed for your car without proof of ownership. Is it possible to get this done outside the Subaru dealer network? These days almost anything is possible technology-wise but if it had to be done within the dealer network then it'd be interesting to make enquiries with Subaru Ireland about any key programming requests.

I assume that its this car?

http://www.isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=10620.0

Sorry to hear about it - hope it turns up - they're often stored in carparks etc until needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Sorry for your trouble man, its a lovely car. Hope you get it back soon.

I can guess what you'd love to do with the scumbags who nicked it.

I know what i do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

You car being a Japanese import doesn't come with an immobilizer as standard, it can basically be robbed by rubbing a couple of cables together in the ignition. It's only very recently that cars in the Japanese market have had them fitted as car crime is almost zero in Japan. Another possibility on the theft would be that the seller of the car to you stole it back with a spare key they had.

My bet is the car was stolen for parts.

You should post the car up on a few Subaru forums, might be spotted by someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

youre dad came up with that on his own............fair play:)

not saying it was done to youres

that has been done on a load of cars in england.............then off the went to cyprus on the boat

generally it goes...........some guy abroad has "lost his key" with all the info. and goes to foreign dealer who then makes up key quickidy quick that gets sent back where they can walk up to youre car and take it when they please
    happened to tara palmer thompkinson........dont ask me how I know who she is never mind how I know that
    plates have probably already been changed if this was done, there was some english tv show done on it a while back

desirable car though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

There was another identical thead recently by another poster on the exact same type of car being stolen. Is there any chance these type of cars are being stolen for parts???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Sorry, got confused with this thead...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055370687

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Maybe they broke/jammed one of the doorlocks on the first visit.
    With central locking I never double check if the door is locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

**** Will defo keep an eye out for that very noticeable car

Where did it happen?

Prob been kept in a car park for a few weeks to see if it has a tracker onboard.

You shoud defo post it up on a subaru sites andother car forum sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Thanks for the feedback.

Car was taken from my driveway in Ballyboden. The reg is 00 D 1122338

TV3 I imported it direct from Japan... I have only seen one or two the exact same colour as this one. It has a big sticker on the back window with Village written on it if that helps. website was http://www.ibcjapan.co.jp/

will post on some of the Subaru forums now too...thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

mtbireland wrote: »
    Car was taken from my driveway in Ballyboden. The reg is 00 D 1122338

Think you have one too many digits in the reg there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Tried a few variations on Cartell
    Seems its 00 D 112338

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

As said no immobilisor on the car (unless you had an aftermarket alarm),there simple to either hotwire or backbarrel likewise to break into brute force isnt really needed.

The only jap import i've come across to date with a chip in key immobilisor is the accord euroR from 03 onwards,any other import i've worked on has never had one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭da7a

Really sorry to hear your car was stolen. I drive a B4 and would be devastated if it was stolen. Im always paranoid that it will be taken when its left parked in the street at night. There seems to be stories floating around of subarus being stolen every other week.

You should have a look in as many underground car parks as possible as they are often stored there with different number plates until the heat dies down. There can't be that many navy gtbs around.

They would have taken it immobiliser or not. The guys taking these high performance jap cars are professionals and can get around even the most expensive security systems.

Its worth posting a pic of it over on isdc.ie. I think this thread is about your car. http://www.isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=10620.0
    Some people who have had thier cars taken in the past have had sightings of it reported back to them on isdc.

I'll keep my eye out for it on my travels. Hope you get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Where's the pic gone of it??

Hard luck op...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Sorry about your loss, lovely motor.
    Initally I would have had the same thought as 'Tipsy Mac'. that
    the seller kept a key and sold it to steal back.
    However, as you imported direct from Japan this doesn't add up so much, unless a key was taken somewhere along that chain.
    Did you receive one or two keys with the car?

The driver's window being broken the week before is most unusual.
    If someone was going to steal a car the driver's window is probably the last window that they would break.
    It would stand out way too much.
    Thieves usually break one of the smaller triangular shaped windows in the back or more likely again, pull the top of the door back and reach inside.

If the car had been taken by joyriders it would most likely have turned up by now, either burnt out or not.
    It looks alot more like the work of professional car thieves,
    making the broken window all the more suspicious.
    It's always possible that the broken window wasn't related to the car theft but that's unlikely.

I remember hearing about something a long time ago, whereby someone
    who worked in a panel beaters down the country was involved in a stealing to order business.
    They would find a target car locally, intentionally damage it and then when it was left in for repairs get a copy of the key made.

Hope you get it back and I'll keep an eye out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 duffy2009

well first they would of bent back the door put there hand in opened the door then snapped the steering ,since its a jap import it doesnt matter what year it is once it doesnt have a imobiliser it can be hot wired or even better back barrelled, simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Its more likely they smashed your window the first time to test if it had an alarm, then waitied a few days and came back when u where out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Sorry lad.

Japanese Imports with no alarm are easy to steal and quite allot of cars have gone missing in the last year or so. Car crime is just not a problem in Japan.

I wish you the best and hope your cars recovered without incident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

sorry to hear this, it I think it's a fact of life that we are going to have allot more this kinda thing happening now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Sometimes keycopies are got unknown to the car owner by boyracer greasemonkeys at car service centres. These young lads tend to be very knowledgeable about fancy cars and watch for opportunities to drive them and get keys cut. Did you leave in your car to be serviced in recent past and possibly have come into contact with such a person in that way ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

bikki wrote: »
    Its more likely they smashed your window the first time to test if it had an alarm, then waitied a few days and came back when u where out.
    I agree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Mr Locksmith

Or the back of a tow truck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

tow truck or a trailer...

Advertisement