Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what if Extra-Terrestrial life is found?

Options
  • 10-11-2008 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

So how do you think the main religions will react if irrefutable proof of extra-terrestrial life is found?

two scenarios:
    1. primitive life form on Mars or some moon of Jupiter or Saturn, being fossil or still alive.

2. intelligent life form via outer space signals or spaceship landing on the white house loan.

I'd say about #1 I'm sure they will say this isn't incompatible with holy texts ... bla bla bla ... after all Man was only created on earth.

About #2 I still think they will try to twist it to their advantage.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

What sort of life would be very important, if it were chemically not identical to the kind of life here on Earth that would pose some problems I would imagine.

I am sure it would not be so big a problem that a reinterpretation of scripture couldn't solve it quite nicely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DanCorb

"God put them there to test our faith".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Doubt it would bother most of them... They're probably preparing for it as we speak!

"Ahh sure we knew all along! Just look here, the Book of Aliens, chapter 6, verse 4: 'oh yeah, and humans aren't the only life form btw' "

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dave! wrote: »
    Doubt it would bother most of them... They're probably preparing for it as we speak!
    The Pope certainly has it covered!

Extra-terrestrial life is possible, Vatican astronomer says...

I think if ET life was found, it would be surprising how quickly mankind would get over it, and get on about it's usual business of oppression and conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Agree with Dades
    Irrefutable proof or not the statistical chance of there being other life out there is enough for me, especially when you see that there are literally millions of other galaxies out there
    And thats from only a small portion of the sky!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As a Christian i would be more worried about my faith if there wasnt life out there other than us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

As was said, Alien life would pose no treat to religions on this planet, they will just re-understand the scriptures to make allowances for it.

There is really nothing conceivable that could happen that would tell people of any religion that they are wrong. Religion likes to always sit in a comfortable state of grey, being able to swing which ever way it pleases to accommodate changing cultures and norms.

One of the questions I like to ask religious people is "What would have to happen for you to accept your religion is wrong"... they always look at me blankly and say nothing, as the indoctrination of their minds does not allow for the chances that they could ever be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

MrDaithi wrote:
    So how do you think the main religions will react if irrefutable proof of extra-terrestrial life is found?

Try to convert the little green men of course :)

I thought they already had found fragments of life on Mars, I saw it on a different forum.... maybe it was the conspiracy one.

From the BBC - this is what I was thinking of - it's not conclusive
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/life/looking/mars.shtml

The Martian meteorite

Are these fossilised bacteria - or just mineral deposits?
    In 1996, NASA scientists announced that they may have proof of life on Mars. They had found what looked like fossilised bacteria in a meteorite that had once been part of the Red Planet.

The scientists knew the meteorite was from Mars because it contained traces of gas similar to that found in the Martian atmosphere. By studying it, there were able to tell that it had once had liquid water flowing through it. They also detected organic chemicals similar to those found when bacteria decay.

But many experts are still not convinced that the objects in the meteorite are fossils. They are a lot smaller than bacteria on Earth. They are also a similar shape to many naturally occurring mineral deposits. The argument rages on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

I think it depends on how advanced these aliens are and how they'd treat us. If life far advanced to ours were to be found, I think that would seriously shake up some people's belief system. What with man being the hight of evolution creation. ;) As for treating us: Milan Kundera toys with the idea in The Unbearable Lighntess of Being. If aliens landed here, they would obviously be far more advanced technically/knowledge-wise than we are, and they might well consider us as rather worthless beings, bit too stupid to be taken seriously. In fact, we might be to them what chimpanzees are to us.

Let's just say that when trying to establish our intelligence, I for one would hope they don't opt for a religious person as their guinea pig... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Many many years from now a vehicle carrying humans will be about to engage in faster than light travel, the captain will call the crew together and lead them in prayer to beseech the almighty to make their journey a safe one. There will be a scientist in the back, double checking the engines, hating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

F.A. wrote: »
    I think it depends on how advanced these aliens are and how they'd treat us. If life far advanced to ours were to be found, I think that would seriously shake up some people's belief system. What with man being the hight of evolution creation. ;) As for treating us: Milan Kundera toys with the idea in The Unbearable Lighntess of Being. If aliens landed here, they would obviously be far more advanced technically/knowledge-wise than we are, and they might well consider us as rather worthless beings, bit too stupid to be taken seriously. In fact, we might be to them what chimpanzees are to us.

Let's just say that when trying to establish our intelligence, I for one would hope they don't opt for a religious person as their guinea pig... :o

Ooh from past experience you are asking for trouble with that statement good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Dades wrote: »
    I think if ET life was found, it would be surprising how quickly mankind would get over it, and get on about it's usual business of oppression and conflict.

Couldn't agree more. I'm always amused by stories or films which shows humanity uniting in peace and harmony when first contact is made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

One of the questions I like to ask religious people is "What would have to happen for you to accept your religion is wrong"... they always look at me blankly and say nothing, as the indoctrination of their minds does not allow for the chances that they could ever be wrong.

I have more atheist/agnostic friends than religious but of those that consider themselves religious they would answer your question without that blank look! ;)

Anyway, i think you are asking your question wrong. For a start, its condescending in its wording. It implies the individual is wrong in the first place. But you also need to understand the individual's spiritual beliefs rather than making an assumption on your interpretation of the Bible, Koran etc.

The ultimate and only acceptable answer to your question from an Atheist's point of view, is that when we die we will know what is right and what's wrong. And by that logic, if there is no God (and just a purple light and a hum as someone arty once said! ;)), there wont be anyone around to claim victory.

I re-found my faith after an experience that I had, that frankly i cant and wont explain. I didnt have to experience stigmata or witness a possessed 12 year old girl vomit pea soup for me to find my peace with my God. Everyone is different. But just like football supporters, there are whackos in religion that do it no favours either.

faceman wrote: »
    I re-found my faith after an experience that I had, that frankly i cant and wont explain.

You don't have to explain the experience, but which faith? Or faith in what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Ooh from past experience you are asking for trouble with that statement good luck.

Why would that be offensive? Think about it logically. If aliens far superiour to us come to earth and want to establish how intelligent we are, and they go for a religious man who tells them that he is the height of all beings because that's what his God says - he says that into the face of a being who is obviously more advanced - how exactly do you think our alien friends would take to that? :confused:

F.A. wrote: »
    Why would that be offensive? Think about it logically. If aliens far superiour to us come to earth and want to establish how intelligent we are, and they go for a religious man who tells them that he is the height of all beings because that's what his God says - he says that into the face of a being who is obviously more advanced - how exactly do you think our alien friends would take to that? :confused:

I agree but the religious might not see it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 pgroarke

The really interesting question is if the alien life was intelligent and it they had something to say about religion(s) on our planet.

What would be the reaction of the religions if for example, the aliens claimed to have visited us and to have manufactured miracles with their advanced technology ?

While far fetched, at least this scenario is theoretically possible (unlike the possibility of miraculous magic which many religions appear to utilize)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I think it would have a detrimental effect on religion, especially if the aliens were secular. If a vastly more advanced race totally dismissed our religions (which they probably would), it would make many people realise how provincial and backward such concepts are. Yes, there would be a large portion unaffected (mainly fundies), but the moderate majority would take a big hit, I think.

Or the mods here.

Tread lightly, F.A. This forum welcomes everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

It would certainly be interesting :)

Any species sufficiently advanced to 'visit' us would also likely have advanced beyond the 'need' for religion or superstition.

Then again, we all saw what happened in Star Gate with the Ori?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

I have more atheist/agnostic friends than religious but of those that consider themselves religious they would answer your question without that blank look! ;)

Anyway, i think you are asking your question wrong. For a start, its condescending in its wording. It implies the individual is wrong in the first place. But you also need to understand the individual's spiritual beliefs rather than making an assumption on your interpretation of the Bible, Koran etc.

I re-found my faith after an experience that I had, that frankly i cant and wont explain.

I really don't know how I could word it differently. By saying "what would have to happen" I am refering to an event that has not yet happened therefore the implication that their religion would be false would rest on the occuring of this event. As the event has not happened, the questions assumes that their belief is not yet false.

Your last sentence is pretty much what causes the blankness in their faces. People don't like to imagine their beliefs could ever be wrong because they are tied to emotional events or fears. To ask someone to reason logically on what their beliefs hinge on opens up the chance that they could be proved wrong one day.

I also frankly don't accept any posthumous explanations, because that in itself assumes a posthumous existence.

You don't have to explain the experience, but which faith? Or faith in what?

Christianity, Catholicism being closest but one of the Christian groups have hit the nail on the head yet! (IMO!)
    Your last sentence is pretty much what causes the blankness in their faces. People don't like to imagine their beliefs could ever be wrong because they are tied to emotional events or fears. To ask someone to reason logically on what their beliefs hinge on opens up the chance that they could be proved wrong one day.

I also frankly don't accept any posthumous explanations, because that in itself assumes a posthumous existence.

Im not at liberty to divulge my experience to the masses here as it doesnt matter anyway. however my experience has bog all to do with a traumatic/emotional or fear based experience.

I understand your point. However with most spiritual beliefs, you are accepting powers beyond scientific proof or understanding. thats the basis of faith. You believed in Santa Clause as a child for many years quite happily until you were shown otherwise. While its an over simplisitic analogy, it has some relevence. When you find out truly if your beliefs have any basis of truth, it will either be too late or a time to rejoice, no matter what your faith. Either way, those spiritual beliefs offer many people hope, light and comfort throughout life. Setting out to disprove it is paradoxial given if atheists are correct, it wont make any difference anyway.

There are plenty of whackos who are religious. There are plenty of whackos with influence who are religious. But the vast majority of people are not. To many of us, its not about proving who is right or wrong. Logic and religion never goes hand in hand if you want someone to right a formula to the existance of your God.

200 hundred years ago we couldnt ask a scientist to write a formula that explains dark matter, as no one knew it existing. There will never be any proof that there is no God based afterlife or beginning, if there is no God. There is a greater likelihood of proof of God or an afterlife being discovered than proof of no God at all.

Getting back to the topic aliens, when scientists are looking for life on other planets, they look at solar systems and planets with similar conditions to our own. The assumption is that for life to exist in the universe, similar conditions to earth must prevail. Its a fair enough theory given the circumstances. But what would it mean to the scientific world if life was found on Pluto for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Getting back to the topic aliens, when scientists are looking for life on other planets, they look at solar systems and planets with similar conditions to our own. The assumption is that for life to exist in the universe, similar conditions to earth must prevail. Its a fair enough theory given the circumstances. But what would it mean to the scientific world if life was found on Pluto for example?

Well more interesting is the idea that bacteria can survive in space. Watched a documentary on it earlier this year, can't remember the name for the life of me. Started off by investigating reports of "Red rain" falling in India which some claimed was bacteria from outer space and then went into the debate on Panspermia. Some interesting stuff was discussed, notably the controversy surrounding the apparent survival of bacteria on the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Im not at liberty to divulge my experience to the masses here as it doesnt matter anyway.

Of course you're at liberty! You clearly don't want to, and I'd imagine the reason is that you secretly know it's very silly and that we'd tear it apart.
    pgroarke wrote: »
    The really interesting question is if the alien life was intelligent and it they had something to say about religion(s) on our planet.

What would be the reaction of the religions if for example, the aliens claimed to have visited us and to have manufactured miracles with their advanced technology ?

While far fetched, at least this scenario is theoretically possible (unlike the possibility of miraculous magic which many religions appear to utilize)

I've pondered this question before. I'd imagine that the (xeno)sociology/economics of a race drastically more advanced than ours would benefit from a certain perspective our species still lacks. I'd guess they'd have a check list of items that they'd need checked off before considering a species sufficiently advanced enough to engage with as equals. Stuff like:

1 - Has the species transcended factional conflict between artificial identities such as states and minor genetic variances?
    2 - Has the species developed a uniform degree of economic, technological and industrial development across their world?
    3 - Has the species transcended defunct supernatural world views?

And many more questions of that variety. As you can guess, we're not doing too well.

"Hey Blorg, will we make contact with the humans today?"
    "What?! No way, most of them are still praying to supernatural entities ahahaha"
    "Really? Ahahaha, stupid humans."
    "I also heard they have yet to establish a global government operated by unilaterally agreed principles.
    "No! You're kidding me?"
    "Nope. I even heard they've used nuclear weapons against each other."

And so on.

toiletduck wrote: »
    Some interesting stuff was discussed, notably the controversy surrounding the apparent survival of bacteria on the moon.

Seems pretty clear to me:

"One of the implements being used to scrape samples off the Surveyor parts was laid down on a non-sterile laboratory bench, and then was used to collect surface samples for culturing. To quote Jaffe, 'It is, therefore, quite possible that the microorganisms were transferred to the camera after its return to Earth, and that they had never been to the Moon."

I remember reading all about the red rain years ago. Didn't they conclude that the most likely explanation was desert sand transported to the vicinity and mixed with atmospheric water?

Christianity, Catholicism being closest but one of the Christian groups have hit the nail on the head yet! (IMO!)

Are you serious? Christianity? Do you mean with a sqeaky hammer?
    Im not at liberty to divulge my experience to the masses here as it doesnt matter anyway.

Well no actually kinda does matter.
    I understand your point. However with most spiritual beliefs, you are accepting powers beyond scientific proof or understanding. thats the basis of faith.

Well then they could be just ellaborate dellusions and most certainly not true because they are complete unfounded.
    There are plenty of whackos who are religious. There are plenty of whackos with influence who are religious. But the vast majority of people are not. To many of us, its not about proving who is right or wrong. Logic and religion never goes hand in hand if you want someone to right a formula to the existance of your God.

200 hundred years ago we couldnt ask a scientist to write a formula that explains dark matter, as no one knew it existing. There will never be any proof that there is no God based afterlife or beginning, if there is no God. There is a greater likelihood of proof of God or an afterlife being discovered than proof of no God at all.

Meh I can't be bothered......

Im not at liberty to divulge my experience to the masses here as it doesnt matter anyway. however my experience has bog all to do with a traumatic/emotional or fear based experience.
    I for one think you're dead right not to be spilling your guts in this thread. :)

Dades wrote: »
    I for one think you're dead right not to be spilling your guts in this thread. :)

You lack the killer edge Dades. You're soft. It's only a matter of time before a meaner, tougher atheist takes over the forum. To the dueling pit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

If many people did tire of religion post first contact, what's the likelyhood of the aliens taking the place of gods or religion? Seems like they could become very good authority figure replacements, in the way good aul Yahweh does for people when they fail to grow up right.
    There is a greater likelihood of proof of God or an afterlife being discovered than proof of no God at all.

I would have thought that was a bit of a no brainer. How exactly do you find proof of nothing? You either have evidence that something exists, or you don't entertain the existence of anything until such a time as evidence arises.

Advertisement