Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just found out we've got a back boiler setup- should we use it?

Options
  • 11-11-2008 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi there

Apologies for the long title :o

Just took out the fireplace tonight with the intention of installing a small charwood country 4 stove. The main reason we were installing the stove was to minimise an almighty draft from the fireplace, and also to allow us to use it. Up to now, when we lit a fire the draft would make every other room in the house arctic. Even when fire not lit, the draft is phenomenal. Stove should sort it as we could control the draft and we were also going to fit a reducer.

Back to tonight, we removed the fireplace only to find that it is plumbed for a back boiler - pipes warm and everything from the heat being on.

We had toyed with idea of putting in a back boiler before but dismissed it as the expense would have put us off. Now, it seems like the proper thing to do? I reckon I would have the stove on everyday anyways, as one of us works at home. Also, this makes central heating bills expensive! We have 8 radiators to heat. Small enough living room (14x12 foot)

Questions therefore:
    Do you think we should use the back boiler?
    Charwood country 4 would only heat maybe 4 radiators - would you change this, or should we just see this as a bonus...?
    Any different recommendations?

thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

When you say pipes hot
    Are they connected to the back boiler?
    Usually if it’s gas heating system’ put into an existing back boiler system ; then the pipe work is disconnected from the back boiler
    If you are going to put in a stove’ then you will still have the drafts’ unless you provide an air vent in the room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

A back boiler could be a bonus, especially if you usually light a fire.
    The plumbing / installing shouldn't be expensive if all the pipework is there.

Why not get a bigger stove with a boiler to heat all the rads?

Anything has got to be more beneficial than a open fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Different scenario in our case, but we replaced an open fireplace with a small stove recently and have found that this cuts down immensely on drafts, whether the stove is lighting or not. Even with a backboiler an open fireplace is hugely inefficient so I would suggest getting a stove with boiler- it's more efficient, cleaner in use and easier to regulate and manage than an open fire with back boiler. sounds like you will need to investigate your existing plumbing and controls beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dinos

thanks all for the comments.

copper, i think the reason it will cut down on the drafts is that it is a strong updraft - there is a vent in the room (no chance of us forgetting that, as most days it sounds like a train due to the said same draft...:eek:)

jack of all, hoping to find the same with you regarding stove.

Would I need to get a plumber out to check to see exactly what I have, or can I tell myself?

We have ofch, not gas. Just presumed that because the pipes were there at the chimney, and seem to be an inflow and an outflow that all i'd need to do was hook it up.

Just check the specs of the stove that's sitting in the boot of the car, due to be installed tomorrow..."Optional boiler to heat domestic hot water or a small radiator". They did say we could change it if necessary, so just wondering what to do, or should we put off the installlation for now...?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

I would hold off
    If you are going to install a stove then you might as well get the most out of it
    If its oil heating you have; and its an open system; then a pump and a cylinder stat to turn on the pump, when you light the stove is the simplest option
    This depends on weather you have to buy the wood, for the stove, as Euro for Euro the oil would heat the house cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dinos

well we think this is good news:

Rang the guy who used to own the house (a builder, who lived in it for a few years). He used to have a dual system, with pump/thermostat etc and it worked very well, but he was never there to light a fire, so just got rid in the end.

If we want to get a stove that has a boiler, he will get one of his boys - the plumber who originally set it up and later disconnected it - to come around and hook it in for us. (sound man!)

Therefore, we are going to look at a stove that heats water and about 6 radiators. Its the Olymberyl Olive. Any good/bad reports would be welcome, or any alternatives... We are a little restricted with the size of the fireplace...73x60x42 Height, width, depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Go for it. A back boiler has its advantages.

Advertisement