Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rememberance day

Options
  • 11-11-2008 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

Havin a minutes silence here. Some bloke came over the intercom tellin us all to shuttup for a minute coz its the 11th of the 11th at 11am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Havin a minutes silence here. Some bloke came over the intercom tellin us all to shuttup for a minute coz its the 11th of the 11th at 11am.
    Err yeah so did we ... don't suppose you work in CQ do ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not sure if anything's happening here. I'll find out in an hour.

Don't mean to be insensitive or that but it really doesn't mean anything to me. Anyone else feel that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Don't mean to be insensitive or that but it really doesn't mean anything to me. Anyone else feel that way?

Yep, feel the same.
    There was nothing in my office.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's been and gone and we had nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

minutes silence was observed here, and it does mean something to some of us

Lest We Forget

and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

had to look up what 11th 11th was, but ah, i gettit now... think it's more an aussie thing than a kiwi thing... though do ye celebrate ANZAC day?

edit: celebrate doesnt seem like the right word... ehhh... y'no what i mean though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Well Celebrate their Lives, their sacrifice, otherwise it was all in vain.

its one minute out of the YEAR when we pay our respects to all those people who died needlesley on all sides of conflict around the globe, and people are still dying pointlesley today

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Rememberance day is technically for all soldiers who fell in WW1 and WW2 from all nations, so that includes the 50,000 or so Irishmen who died as well (50% of whom were from the Republic as it is today.) in World War 1.

Anzac Day (25th April) is very much an Oz and Nz rememberance day and is far larger than Rememberance Day. Pretty much looked upon as the day Australia became a 'nation' due to their soldiers fighting in the Gallipoli campaign in 1915.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The first man to die in WW1 was Irish, and about 14 IIRC, there was massive loss of life in that war and it made a huge difference to Australia and New Zealand, the male population was hugely reduced after the war/s and the countries struggled to cope.
    Just watched a great documentary with Rolf Harris visiting his fathers grave in France, moving stuff.
    A lot of lives wasted- over a million according to the documentary makers.
    That is a lot of lives in anyones book.
    1 minute of respect isn't much in anyones life these days although many won't feel any connection as most of the returned are gone now, Its hard to imagine now what the war must have been like.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The first man to die in WW1 was Irish, and about 14 IIRC.

The quote from braveheart springs to mind:

Longshanks "Send in the Irish"

• Advertisement
Advertisement