Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OCZ SSD: How do I check for corruption?

• 11-11-2008 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I've been having some weird stuttering issue with my PC when opening up folders and moving files.

I want to check my OCZ SSD for corruption, how should I go about it? Whats the best way to check the drive? A normal chkdsk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Would HDTune test them, worth a try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I did a quick analyze with Diskeeper last night and the SSD drive had 20,000+ fragments and a fragmented MFT. So I defragged and ran an MFT and pagefile defrag as well a chkdsk. Vista really doesn't like the fact that I've disabled all automatic defrag options.

I'm going to see if this has resolved the issues I was having with slowdown. I've already ran multiple virus scans and they've turned up nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭SeanW

Defragging only helped mechanical hard drives in the past because files responded best when they were contigious - i.e. all in the one place and the hard drive could read the whole thing at once instead of having the needles jump all around the platters. With SSDs it's address based like RAM, so defragging will not only not help, with different data management requirements, actually shortens the drive's lifespan and should be avoided. The drive controller will save files in a fragmented way as a matter of course for the purposes of wear levelling.

As for your stuttering issues, I was half expecting you to have these problems when you posted that you had bought an OCZ Core, before I jumped into the SSD game I read a piece on AnandTech where they exposed some serious flaws in the design of non-Intel MLC based drives during an examination of Intels SSDs.

Your OCZ Core drive is based on MLC storage.
    Enter the poorly designed MLC.

Between that and the lower rewrite lifespan of MLC based drives (10,000 rewrites before failure for MLC, 1,000,000 for SLC) I simply would not consider the Core an advisable option for a main hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ok turns out it was nothing to do with corruption of the drive.

Firstly, I had increased the PCI-e clock to 102Mhz from 100Mhz. I was told that since the PCI-e bus is linked to the SATA controller to just put it back to stock.

Also I followed this tutorial here

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43525

and set up a ramdisk and put my firefox and IE cache's on it as well as the pagefile. Since then I've had no issues and the system is actually running amazingly fast now. I've invested in another 4GB's of RAM also so that I can increase the size of the pagefile that's on the RAM disk.

Advertisement