Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with new build

Options
  • 11-11-2008 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Moved into a brand new apartment about 2 months ago and have signed a 1 year lease. Now since we have moved in there have been a number of problems. First the waste pipes have blocked twice and we had to have the lines rodded twice so we could use the shower or toilet. Its working fine at the moment but i reckon inside 2 weeks it will be blocked again. Secondly there is an awful damp problem. In the main living area there is a huge window out to the balcony. All along the wall above it there is mould and wet patches and the same above the door to the balcony. The builder (also looking after the management of the building) came last week and cut out 2 chunks from above the window and door and cleaned off all the mould and put some plaster back up and didnt paint it. I spoke to him that day he said it was sorted and he put another vent in the room. The mould is back and worse than ever and i have noticed it in the main bedroom by the window as well. There are a few other small problems but ones that can and will be easily fixed. My question is that if all the damp and waste pipe problems dont get sorted soon am i within my rights to move and not lose my depoit?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Personally I would get the local environmental health officer involved. It sounds like there are terminal problems with the property- that a little bit of remedial work is not going to solve. It also sounds as though the builder has not the slightest intention of remedying the situation.

Advertisement