Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American A Cappella Group -- What To Sing?!

Options
  • 11-11-2008 7:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey all

I'm the leader of an American a cappella group (Cornell Key Elements, www.keyelementsrock.com) that is touring around Ireland this winter. We're doing a few university, church, and pub gigs; I'm wondering what kinds of songs would be most appropriate to sing.

We typically do American alternative/rock music... what is popular over there? Would you rather hear more traditional Irish songs? Is everyone over there a Dubliners fan?

Let me know!
    -MZ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol I can just imagine some American Alternative/Rock in a church down the country! Maybe whip out some Creed. It does cross Christian boundaries after all!
    mzamb03 wrote: »
    Is everyone over there a Dubliners fan?

Most definitely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mzamb03

well it doesn't have to be church-related music for universities and pubs. what sort of songs would the Irish audience appreciate?

what were some popular bands over the past decade or so that i might have heard of?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

An acapella version of Squarepusher's Hello Meow would make my mind melt.

Squarepusher?! I'm pretty good at beatboxing... but not *that* good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do a version of Leave it by Yes :)

Don't get carried away by "Orish" themed nonsense!

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I wouldnt go down the road of the Dubliners really, but obviously you are looking to do some Irish rock songs to please the locals. How about some Thin Lizzy (Boys are back in town, etc),or Sinead O Connor's nothing compares to you, the cranberries Linger, Pogues' Rainy night in Soho, Undertones' Teenage Kicks, and of course there is U2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Auld Triangle a capella is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

mzamb03 wrote: »
    Squarepusher?! I'm pretty good at beatboxing... but not *that* good

Trust, if you just got everyones role right it would be amazing.

Just curious... how popular was that song "I Like Music" by Republic of Loose?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Living on a prayer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement