Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Connection Gone. Help needed Desperately !

Options
  • 11-11-2008 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I suppose I better start by asking if any BT customers could not access the internet yesterday evening?

Just a couple of days ago my wired connection to my PS3 started giving me problems (worked fine for many months) - could not find ip address (underneath it had some random ip address and a msg saying "private networks only) - googled this and one of the suggesstions was to turn MAC address filtering on - I did this last night (I have a Netgear DG834N router) and it seemed as soon as I did this my internet connection cut !!

I cannot get back in to the settings of the router using 192.168.0.1 - if I try and ping this ip it says host destination unreachable so this is obviously why I can not do this. I used to connect to the router setting using www.routerlogin.com but with no internet connection I can not do this either.

I've powered off the router for 5 mins and then switched it back on again - all lights at the front light up as they should - internet connection light is green but there is a light above it that should flicker green when there is an active internet connection but this is just lit green without any flicker - the fact that the internet connection light is green means I have synched with the isp???

I restored the factory default settings of the router after many hours with this and tried to set it up again using the CD that came with it - it gets so far and then tells me that "no cable or router can be found" even though the router is powered on, all lights on the front are lit and the ethernet cable is connected.

I'm at a total loss on this one and as I work from home quite a lot I need internet access.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

EireEV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Open your browser and type 192.168.1.1 i think thats the correct address for netgear routers

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

tried that - still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gavlong

Try 192.168.1.254

But failing that, open a command prompt (Start>Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt) and type in

ipconfig

Your router's ip is listed as "default gateway"

Hope it helps.
    --
    Cheers,
    Gav.

my router's ip address is definately 192.168.0.1 (this was the default gateway before all this happened) - when I type ipconfig no default gateway address in displayed - I can not ping the above address so it's as if there is no router present.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Hold down the reset pip on the back, you will need a paper-clip or something similar

dg834n.gif

You will need your account details to hand to reconfigure the modem etc.

MC

• Advertisement

did that and router did reboot but still the same?

Where is the test light?

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100651.asp

Did you follow this and hold down for more thatn 10 secs?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is your network card set to DHCP?

yeah I mean I did that and the router did reboot..

Is the test light the actual power light?

no you have me.. How do I check if my network card is set to DHCP?

• Advertisement

Start > Settings > Network Connections > Local Area Connection (or a similar)

This is for XP but Vista is nearly the same, click properties of internet protocol then you should be able to see if you have dhcp on, default is on so if you have never changed it then it should be on now

Other method:

Start > Run > CMD (press enter) > type: ipconfig /all (press enter) in the output from this look for lease obtained / expires, if you see these then you have dhcp turned on

yeah settings are exactly the same as what is shown on your screen grab.

I have a laptop (running Vista) - using router for wireless capability - TCP/IP V4 and V6 settings the same as your screen grab

and a PC (running XP - Wired) TCP/IP setting exactly the same as your screen grab.

OK.... Hmmm

Take it you are using the BT supplied modem for the moment... No probs

Go back into the Internet protocol properties window and change to a static ip.

Use 192.168.2.200 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1, the ip you use really doesn't matter once its not used by anything else, the rest of the settings must be exact. For the moment only use wired ethernet connections as wireless prob needs to be reconfigured after the reset.

MC

BTW can you do an ipconfig /all and post the output just to check you have a valid IP before changing to a static ip, want to see if the dhcp server is working on the modem

no I'm not actually at home at the moment - can just remember the settings from playing around with it so much...

Will try that later thanks. why would I suddenly have to start doing this now when it's been fine for the past year or so?

If I want to revert back to my old BT supplied router in the interim is it just a case of plugging it back in or will there be any configuration needed?

It's really bizarre as all the lights are on on the router....

I can post the output when I get home later yes - do I need to do this on both the Laptop and the PC or does this matter?

When you say "modem" in context below what do you mean?

Thanks for help so far.

Dunno why it has happened but I'll keep an eye on the thread later today, as regards the modem, yeah if you just unplugged the BT one and put it away then all the settings should be fine.

MC

Thanks.

Any other suggestions on top of what MC has said would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭me87_ie

Well my internet has been on the fritz for the past couple of months... originally seemed to be because of the upgrade work, but thats well and truely done and now the internet will disconnect mulitple times an hour.... especially in rainy conditions and wind....

when checking router settings, am also getting no IP address from BT... gave them a call before the weekend and everything seemed to be fixed... but then it started up again on saturday morning...

honestly have a feeling that theres a problem with the exchanges (this is what we were originally told) and possibly still not fixed?

Hi MC,

BTSuppliedModem.jpg - ipconfig /all

NetgearDG834N.jpg - ipconfig /all

seems to be something with the Netgear router ! so frustrating as can't access the router's settings !!

Please help...

EireEV

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Looking at screenshot of the Netgear router its the wrong IP address as i am sure you already know. What i would suggest is that you connect up with a Ethernet cable and try reset one more time.

tried that and still no joy - that must be the ip address that is assigned when you reset the router to factory default settings..

So F*cking annoying at this stage - if I could only access the settings of the router I'm sure I would be anle to resolve this - it like a piece of wood at the moment !!

When I try reconfiguring the router using the CD that came it it tells me that it cannot find the router even though it's powered on and both ethernet and internet lights are on... I just need to be able to access setting page to re-enter ISP details

I just feel like crying at this stage....

It sounds like the router might f**ked. Open Dos prompt again and try the follow.

ipconfig/release and it will bring load of information after. Go down the bottom and try Ipconfig/renew and check the IP address again.

If you are using the ethernet cable, check the LAN connection in Control Panel>Network Connections>Lan or local area connection.

When I type ipconfig/release it sets the ip address to 0.0.0.0

When I then type ipconfig/renew it gives me an error saying "An error occured while renewing interface local area connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

LAN setting says "limited network activity"

Please don't tell me the router is F*cked !!

EireEV wrote: »
    Please don't tell me the router is F*cked !!

You connecting to this router using both ethernet & wireless? Go to the LAN connection in Network connections. Right click the LAN & select properties>double click tcp/ip and make sure IP/DNS is set to automatic. It sounds to me as if it might be gone.

both set to automatic.

OK

The DHCP on the Netgear isn't working / turned off as you have no lease times in the picture of the ipconfig /all output.

http://www.angryziber.com/ipscan/ipscan.exe

Download this program, it is an ip scanner that you can use to find the IP of devices on your network. Open it, (it doesn't need to be installed, its self contained) and configure it like I have in the picture below, you will have to give yourself an IP manually first so retrace your steps to the settings dialog we opened earlier and set an ip in the correct subnet

192.168.0.10 for example with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

the gateway can be left blank for the moment. Repeat this test if you don't find a device during the scan but changing the IP to 192.168.1.10 , 192.168.2.10 and so on (other settings the same) but if after the first few you don't find any live ip's then get back to me.

MC

Thanks man - will come back to you later on it.

I tried setting up a static ip as per your instrutions in the earlier post - connected the netgear router, powered her up and ip address, subnet mask, default gateway where as I had entered when I ran ipconfig /all - network status went from limited to connected but no internet access.

I've reset the router so my isp details will have to be re-entered - the problem is I can't access the settings page of the bloody router.

Hopefully we can get to a resolution.

Thanks for your help to date.

EireEV.

Is that the BT one or your Netgear? Try the IP scan program, it will tell you what IPs are active in your subnet, normally routers are setup at end of the ip range ie 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.254

MC

• Advertisement

That was the Netgear router.

Advertisement