Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Limerick Pogram

Options
  • 11-11-2008 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

While it is to our great shame that we ran the Jewish traders out of our city a hundred years ago, the Limerick Pogram proved to be an effective mass-movement for change (albeit not a positive one).

In order to resolve the problem of crime in Limerick once and for all we all have to take a get-tough stance on all the channels of funds that feed these blackguards in Moyross and Southill.

If you see someone selling pirate CDs and DVDs in the market, overturn his stall, destroy his stock, run him out of the place. The guards will not be called against you, you're doing nothing wrong.

If you see someone snorting cocaine in the toilets of SinBin, sort them out. Tell the staff, tell your friends. Show that eejit that snorting a line of coke is the cause of Shane Geoghegan getting gunned down. That once-a-week drug taker may as well have pulled the trigger. Casual drug users are the ultimate consumers of what the Ryan and Keanes peddle.

I'm not suggesting that you lower yourselves to the tactics of beatings and murder, although it does seem an easier prospect.

Block them out of the dole-offices and post-offices when they go to collect their social-welfare cheques. Stage mass-pickets on their houses. It is your duty as civic-minded citizens to stand up together against these thugs, otherwise they will forever subjugate you and destroy the morale of this city.

We should not have waited this long, but we were happy so long as all of this remained in those estates. We didn't care, hoping that they'd eventually just kill themselves out of existance. Well, it's not turning out that way. A new breed of thug has grown with no concept of the value of life. They don't give a damn. They will kill the first person who tells them "no".

If an entire city tells them "no", "no more!" and runs them out of the city, I guess they will learn the message.

The Pograms of a hundred years ago are a great embarrassment to Limerick City. The Pograms of Moyross, the Island and Southill will stand as an outstanding achievement, so long as again, we don't take a life to do so.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Em, just in relation to 100 years ago, census record show more Jews lived in Limerick after the Pogram than before it. It's a sad story, but let's not pretend it was an epoch changing moment or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

more Jews lived in Limerick after the Pogram than before it.

Interesting. Where did you learn about this?

I think a better route is through the Guards/political pressure.

It does surprise me how little effort the state puts into this compared to let's say the 'subversive' threat in the 1980's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

topper75 wrote: »
    Interesting. Where did you learn about this?

Old Limerick Journal had an article on it. Not denying it happened, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

While it is to our great shame that we ran the Jewish traders out of our city a hundred years ago, the Limerick Pogram proved to be an effective mass-movement for change (albeit not a positive one).

In order to resolve the problem of crime in Limerick once and for all we all have to take a get-tough stance on all the channels of funds that feed these blackguards in Moyross and Southill.

If you see someone selling pirate CDs and DVDs in the market, overturn his stall, destroy his stock, run him out of the place. The guards will not be called against you, you're doing nothing wrong.

If you see someone snorting cocaine in the toilets of SinBin, sort them out. Tell the staff, tell your friends. Show that eejit that snorting a line of coke is the cause of Shane Geoghegan getting gunned down. That once-a-week drug taker may as well have pulled the trigger. Casual drug users are the ultimate consumers of what the Ryan and Keanes peddle.

I'm not suggesting that you lower yourselves to the tactics of beatings and murder, although it does seem an easier prospect.

Block them out of the dole-offices and post-offices when they go to collect their social-welfare cheques. Stage mass-pickets on their houses. It is your duty as civic-minded citizens to stand up together against these thugs, otherwise they will forever subjugate you and destroy the morale of this city.

We should not have waited this long, but we were happy so long as all of this remained in those estates. We didn't care, hoping that they'd eventually just kill themselves out of existance. Well, it's not turning out that way. A new breed of thug has grown with no concept of the value of life. They don't give a damn. They will kill the first person who tells them "no".

If an entire city tells them "no", "no more!" and runs them out of the city, I guess they will learn the message.

The Pograms of a hundred years ago are a great embarrassment to Limerick City. The Pograms of Moyross, the Island and Southill will stand as an outstanding achievement, so long as again, we don't take a life to do so.

Why do the guards job and risk your life while doing it!!
    I`d love to see you go up to these scumbags and try run them out of town.

People are too busy these days with their lives to worry about something that dos`nt effect 99% percent of peoples lives in Limerick city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Old Limerick Journal had an article on it. Not denying it happened, btw.

It was also nothing to do with religion, but textiles.
    The Jewish in question were fleeing to America when the ship captain left them at Cork.
    The people in Cork told them to go to Limerick.
    They were mainly Dutch Jews, and brought with them modern textile an linen weaving practices from Europe.
    At the time the linen factory was one of our biggest industries in Limerick, so the owners were worried about the better quality fabrics being made by the newcomers.
    The protestant factory owners, pressurised their own workers, and bribed the local catholic priests into whipping up a fervour among the rest of the populace, so as to shut down the quickly rising Jewish textile sales.
    It worked.
    Thing is though, as bad as it was, and did happen, only one fatality was recorded.
    A 70 odd year old man ho died of a heart attack.

A terrible and shameful event, but all in relation to business, not religion.

And no excuse for the Israeli government to refuse to apologize when they accidentally killed Irish peacekeepers, three quarters of a century later!

Back to the point of the thread, when you picture this happening, are you imagining an 80's power ballad playing in the background?!
    I'm sorry, but it's all a bit "made for TV movie".
    If the people of this country (note I said country, not city) want to make a change, you don't confront the wrongdoers.
    You confront your government for letting them get away with it.
    We pay the government to do this.
    We continuously vote in a government who've wasted billions, messed up our health and education systems, proved beyond incompetent in dealing with our policing issues, Destroyed our history and heritage (Tara), and blatantly stole from us, while saying f**k you to our faces!
    Our bloody fearless leader for Christ sake was blatantly caught accepting bribes.
    All the evidence supported it, and what happens.
    He pretends to cry on TV, so we vote him back in again!!!!!

We live in a democratic, free-thinking society.
    You don't stamp out gangland activity by organising vigilante mobs.
    You do it by telling your elected officials, in no uncertain terms, to do their jobs, or you'll find somebody who will.
    It's Leinster house, not Moyross that needs to be marched on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

We need Batman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

why not march on the clinics and homes of our minister for fisticuffs, and his partner in colussuion peader the weak, just as the old age pensioners did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Why do the guards job and risk your life while doing it!!
    I`d love to see you go up to these scumbags and try run them out of town.

Too true, the original Poster would be at home nailing high-scores on his X-Box all the while.
    People are too busy these days with their lives to worry about something that dos`nt effect 99% percent of peoples lives in Limerick city.

This is what it all boils down to in my opinion. Limerick has descended to the utter pits 'cause people were happy to turn two blind eyes to a progressively worsening situation. Unfortunately I'd include the the Limerick Gardaí in this; the Gardaí are more fortunate than us though - they can be stationed elsewhere when it gets to the point where you wouldn't dare take your children for a walk in your own estate :mad:

Advertisement