Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing problem expert advice needed

Options
  • 11-11-2008 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

A friend of mine called me last night to see if my handyman knowledge could fix his leaky pipe.

Here's the problem. Under his floor are the 28mm copper pipes for the heating boiler. At one place there are 90 degree soldered elbows. The pipes run almost touching each other. At this bend the inside pipe elbow is leaking so bad that the water drains out of the system. So how do you fic that joint when all the pipes are so close and there is little flexibility in the pipework to replace anything?
    Any ideas? Perhaps some sort of sealing putty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If you can get the pipes drained down and absolutely dry it is possible to resolder the joint if you have the right equipment and know what you are doing. It is difficult to get enough heat into the pipe and fittings to ensure that the solder flows, with 28mm pipes there is a large mass of copper which conducts the heat away very quickly. A small butane torch will not have a chance of getting it hot enough.

I use an oxy-propane or oxy-acetylene torch which does it no problem. A bit of skill is required to heat the pipe and fitting evenly and not set fire to anything. Apply flux first and let it run into the joint, then solder and make sure it runs in all the way around.

Having said all that in some cases it is easier to cut out the bad joint and make a new one from scratch. You will need a short length of pipe, an elbow and two straight couplers. If this sounds daunting, then your friend will need to call in a plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I wonder what their mileage rate is - Arizona is a hell of a long way from Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Pete67 wrote: »
    I wonder what their mileage rate is - Arizona is a hell of a long way from Ireland!

Priceless! :D

Advertisement