Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Pay

Options
  • 11-11-2008 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

Thought I'd ask advice on this as I've already looked around on here and also on welfare.ie website but im still slightly confused.

Im a 26 y/o single male renting a house and Im going in for an operation in the coming weeks, I'll be going in on a friday morning and getting out on the sunday afternoon however I will still need the following monday to friday to recover at home. Thats a total of 6 working days im missing.

I started working for my company back in January 2008 so I reckon I'll have around 99 weeks PRSI contributions. My company doesnt pay for sick days.

My questions are

(1) Am I entitled to sick (or disability) benifit from the social welfare?

(2) If so am I entitled for only the days that Im in hospital for or also for the days I spend at home recovering?

(3) If I am entitled to pay for the days that Im recovering at home will I have to visit my GP after the days and get a form signed from them or can I get the necessary certs for all 6 days while Im in hospital?

(4) Any idea how much Id be entitled to?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd say ring up the social welfare office with your PPS number and ask them.

This link might help:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/disability-and-illness/disability_benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Sick boy wrote: »

My questions are

(1) Am I entitled to sick (or disability) benifit from the social welfare?

You should be, but only from the thrid day of sickness onwards
    (2) If so am I entitled for only the days that Im in hospital for or also for the days I spend at home recovering?

Again, only from the third day onwards
    (3) If I am entitled to pay for the days that Im recovering at home will I have to visit my GP after the days and get a form signed from them or can I get the necessary certs for all 6 days while Im in hospital?
    Same medical certificate should cover you for social welfare, but its up to your employer if the same certificate will do them
    (4) Any idea how much Id be entitled to?
    basic pro rata'd social welfare benefit

Advertisement