Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin county Sub Forums

Options
  • 11-11-2008 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭

Is there any reason that Dublin County South is a subforum of Dublin County south?

I was just looking and realised it goes

>Region
    >East
    >dublin County South
    >Dublin County South

Same goes for Dublin North. There may be a reason for this but im just curious.

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I think it's in case there's ever a need to create more forums within those categories, for example a Dun Laoghaire forum, or a Dundrum forum.

We certainly don't need them now, but who knows how the site will expand in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

I just think the south dublin forum doesnt get a lot of traffic, which may be down to the fact that people are clicking on the first Dublin county south forum and not realising there is a sub forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Relevant wrote: »
    I just think the south dublin forum doesnt get a lot of traffic, which may be down to the fact that people are clicking on the first Dublin county south forum and not realising there is a sub forum?

Well in that case, let's make it more active, post away!
    Having it pop-up on the front page more often might increase the traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

Well in that case, let's make it more active, post away!
    Having it pop-up on the front page more often might increase the traffic.

Touché

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

This really annoys me, can we just remove the subforums for now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Relevant wrote: »

I really don't think that's the case tbh. The setup is the same for Dublin County West:

>Region
    >>East
    >>>Dublin County West
    >>>>Dublin County West
    >>>>Dublin 15

Here we have two forums, Dublin County West in which, if you look closely enough, you can see the tumbleweed rolling through, and Dublin 15, which approx. 43 regional forums is the 16th busiest, which is pretty impressive for a single post code. The difference between the two is the posters. In Dublin West, as with many of the regional forums including Dublin South, there's not really a community, whereas Dublin 15 does have a regular community of posters discussing issues that concern the area.

Make the forum more entertaining and relevant to the posters and they'll stay, imo. Lots of short threads about X Chinese restaurant or directions to Y don't really engage the posters. Compare that to Dulin 15 where the front page has discussions on a business closure in the area, road works due to the M50 upgrade, education, crime, commuting, etc. That's in addition to the threads about forum regulars meeting up every week to play football, or the residents of a particular development deciding that they should start a residents association based on how active their Boards thread is. The posters make the forum, and the more interesting it is the more new posters it attracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Zaph wrote: »
    That's in addition to the threads about forum regulars meeting up every week to play football,

Oh really? Must have a look there, see if I can recruit any of them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Des wrote: »
    Oh really? Must have a look there, see if I can recruit any of them.

Oi, no tapping up other forums you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Ron DMC wrote: »
    I think it's in case there's ever a need to create more forums within those categories, for example a Dun Laoghaire forum, or a Dundrum forum.

We certainly don't need them now, but who knows how the site will expand in the future.
    All that will happen there is you make it harder and harder to search threads in drop down menu. You have to ask would it get enough threads to warrent inclusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

All that will happen there is you make it harder and harder to search threads in drop down menu. You have to ask would it get enough threads to warrent inclusion

So you think that Boards.ie need less subforums then, yeah?

Interesting.

• Advertisement

Interesting.
    why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

why is that?
    Welcome to Boards.

Interesting.
    Sixty days since anyone visited North Dublin forum. whats going on there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Sixty days since anyone visited North Dublin forum. whats going on there?

No broadband on the northside yet. They can't afford it. :)

Runs away.

No broadband on the northside yet. They can't afford it.

Runs away.

I have heard actually that broadband access is a bit of a problem down there. That was my first instinct about it. Seems to be a bit of a glitch in the system there. It says there have been no posts in last sixty days yet there was post up just now. And to confirm to our non dublin friends. North Dublin and North county dublin are two different things entirely. North County dublin refers to Fingal which is a terrific part of Dublin really.
    All about planning in the end.

Advertisement