Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internationals - Etiquette for attendance

• 11-11-2008 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

I'm lucky enough to have tickets for the 3 A/Is this year, after attending the first one in Thomond Park I was taken aback by some of the posts in other fora about the supporters, mfs.com had some first time posters in a terrible state and lfs.com was even worse where some seasoned posters were in a state of shock of what they witnessed from their fireside seats.

Some thought it was poorly attended despite it being a terrible day and a poor opposition, some thought the athmosphere was terrible was this a result of the perfomance on the field, remember the Italy game in Croke Park last year? and even some people were critical of the colours that people wore.

Before attending the game next Saturday I'd like to know if there is a etiqutte for those attending, should we all go as leprecauns or as mini incredible hulks all dressed in green? I searced the IRFUs site and couldn't find anything there.
    I reviewed crowd pictures from previous games and cant seem to find a uniformed colour for supporters.

I'd hate to offend armchair supporters by wearing the wrong colours.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Wearing green and cheering on the team are the only requirements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

And sing Ireland's Call in a passionate and patriotic manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Wear the colour of the team your going to support that much should be obvious.

Neil Francis made a tongue in cheek comment about how visable all the canadian supporters where in their red colours.

And on a side note i wouldnt get too worried about what some of the armchair warriors say on some of those sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

What the hell's MFS.com? ^^

Sure it's a match, where a jersey if you have it, and cheer on your team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

zAbbo wrote: »
    Wearing green and cheering on the team are the only requirements

That's where the problem lies, I've the jersey, hat and scarf but my ticket is for The Hill and with the cold wet weather I need a jacket and my Goretex one is black and I'd hate to be mistaken as a Kiwi Supporter.
    Take last Saturday in Thomond for example, the lady (Dublin Lady by her accent) next to me was wearing red and she was very conscious that Canada were in red, I told her the most important thing was that she was dry and warm and shouting for Ireland but then I see such drivel on the other fora I wondered was I right or should I despite these recessionary times go and buy a green jacket for Saturday just to satisfy the armchair supporters?

BTW, I don't recall this being an issue when I attended LR for previous internationals, is this a recent thing about having to wear green?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

And sing Ireland's Call in a passionate and patriotic manner.

Id have to disagree with that. Sing Amhran Na Bhfiann in a passionate and patriotic manner.

Then respectfully ignore Irelands call. Thats what i do, going to internationals for years and i have never sang it. Never will.

Wear whatever the hell you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Colours don't matter as much as actually making your voice heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Deedsie wrote: »
    Id have to disagree with that. Sing Amhran Na Bhfiann in a passionate and patriotic manner.

Then respectfully ignore Irelands call. Thats what i do, going to internationals for years and i have never sang it. Never will.

+1 Billion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Maybe I missed something, but I think the OP is tongue in cheek, probably in reference to certain provincial supporters showing up to Ireland games in their club colours.

It's gonna be cold on Sat, possibly wet as well - but you can still wear a green hat/scarf or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I was plannng on pulling my jersey on over my jacket actually, or just wearing lots of layers. I dislike being in a crowd without my colours on show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

I was at it...wore green. It's alright to wear your provincial jersey to an Ireland game PROVIDED YOU SUPPORT CONNACHT! ;)
    Otherwise find a version of your provinces training tops that come in the correct colour.

If you are worried about being mistaken for an AB supporter then wear your jersey OVER your jacket (if it fits). Also get a green hat and green/white scarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Diom wrote: »
    I was at it...wore green. It's alright to wear your provincial jersey to an Ireland game PROVIDED YOU SUPPORT CONNACHT! ;)
    Otherwise find a version of your provinces training tops that come in the correct colour.

If you are worried about being mistaken for an AB supporter then wear your jersey OVER your jacket (if it fits). Also get a green hat and green/white scarf.

My only Connacht jersey is the all black one, what should I do?

switch allegiances ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

no more discussion on the anthems please. Read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

My recommendation in that case Climate Expert is to buy a green Connacht jersey...they need the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Diom wrote: »
    It's alright to wear your provincial jersey to an Ireland game PROVIDED YOU SUPPORT CONNACHT! ;)

LOL! Nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

Just my 2c - if you are wearing a jersey (of any sport), it should be green. Wouldn't be on to wear a Leinster, Munster or Ulster top. A tad disrespectful, but mostly just confusing.

However, if you are wearing ordinary clothes, a coat, wet-gear or whatever, then colour doesn't matter a jot.

Personally, I sported a blue trenchcoat and a green Heineken Cup scarf at the last international I went to. I don't really remember how people around me reacted, though.... it was one of the god-awful matches in Croke Park last year, so I was asleep for most of it...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I've been to loads of matches and as other have said, it really doesn't matter what colour u wear just so long as you cheer on the team alot and don't just stand there not really supporting the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'll be wearing a Shelbourne Jersey.

(but underneath my Ireland one - Shels v Limerick Tolka Park, Sat Nov 15th 7.45pm - Shels playing to win the league on the night and promotion back to premier league. Limerick on form - The old Leinster Munster rivalry - go to the game - great follow up to Irl v NZ :p)

I'm of the opinion that if you don't own an Irish jersey, then fair enough, wear whatever Irish province jersey you have to support the team. If you do, however, you should be wearing it. Having it covered up is fine though, seeing as it'd be a ****e day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

psicic wrote: »
    Just my 2c - if you are wearing a jersey (of any sport), it should be green. Wouldn't be on to wear a Leinster, Munster or Ulster top. A tad disrespectful, but mostly just confusing.

However, if you are wearing ordinary clothes, a coat, wet-gear or whatever, then colour doesn't matter a jot.

Personally, I sported a blue trenchcoat and a green Heineken Cup scarf at the last international I went to. I don't really remember how people around me reacted, though.... it was one of the god-awful matches in Croke Park last year, so I was asleep for most of it...:pac:

How in the name of god is wearing a provincial or club jersey disrepectful? Most of the Irish players will have come through form the clubs/province?

I wear my Irish jersey but have no problems with supporters wearing their club/provincial jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Been going to Ireland internationals for 25 years and the replica jersey thing is a relatively new phenomenon. When I first started going to games, very few if any people ever wore them. The convention was an item of green, perhaps a hat or scarf at most...

I wear my London Irish shirt as a rule (largely because i absolutely hate the current Irish canterbury shirt). But this year I'll be wearing my Irish Rugby League shirt!

Doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you get behind the team and enjoy the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Ulstermell0

toomevara wrote: »
    Been going to Ireland internationals for 25 years and the replica jersey thing is a relatively new phenomenon. When I first started going to games, very few if any people ever wore them. The convention was an item of green, perhaps a hat or scarf at most...

I wear my London Irish shirt as a rule (largely because i absolutely hate the current Irish canterbury shirt). But this year I'll be wearing my Irish Rugby League shirt!

Doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you get behind the team and enjoy the day...

Thats more trecherous than wearing an AB jersey! (jk!)

more seriously - wear whatever you want! i've been lucky enough to attend a few internationals, as many featuring ireland as not, and i always wear my ireland top even if they aren't playing!

i guess there may have been a problem if 3/4s of the crowd were wearing red last weekend given that those are the colours of Canada, but it doesnt really matter.

Of course the IRFU would be keen for every one to spend £50 on a replica jersy, but after i forked out for the RWC version - i want to see some better results before i hand over my hard earned in the future.

You've paid the money for your tickets - wear blue, green, puce, magenta or pink if you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

Deedsie wrote: »

another vote for this!

Irelands call is pure tosh!
    j:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mc23

Anyone who went to last weekends game should have left their munster RAIN jackets at home any bought green rain jackets especially for the night.

OP, if your worried about not having the correct colours for the AB's I'll take your ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I agree. My first visit was Lansdowne Road was Ireland V Scotland in 1978 and there was very little of 'getyisserhatsnscarves'.

I disagree. Wearing a shirt that is nothing to do with the match you're at is, IMHO, just wrong.

I somewhat disagree. I still remember taking my seat in the Lower East Stand before an Ireland France (Grand Slam decider ! :rolleyes:) game and getting irrationally annoyed at someone wearing a Celtic jersey. To a rugby game ! In Ireland ! Not involving Scotland !

If you're going to wear something as a sign of solidarity with the team, at least wear wear something appropriate to the team, or the sport, or the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Thats more trecherous than wearing an AB jersey! (jk!)

Of course the IRFU would be keen for every one to spend £50 on a replica jersy, but after i forked out for the RWC version - i want to see some better results before i hand over my hard earned in the future.

You've paid the money for your tickets - wear blue, green, puce, magenta or pink if you want!

I have similar views but there seems to be a lot of people out there that dislike the colour red on view at international games.

I'm considering wearing my Munster jersey now to piss this guy off. Some people have very little to worry them. He reckons 10,000 fans at the game last week wore red, well I wore green with the exception of my raingear but I wasn't getting pissed on for anyone, I also had the tri-colour though some guys reckon this doesn't represent the Irish team.

Pshan wrote: »
    I have similar views but there seems to be a lot of people out there that dislike the colour red on view at international games.
    At Canadian, Tongan or Welsh games actually.

• Advertisement

At Canadian, Tongan or Welsh games actually.

Wales playing Canada now, place coevered in red:D

BTW, it on S4C if anyone is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

haha, Canada were leading with a minute to half time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Pshan wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough to have tickets for the 3 A/Is this year, after attending the first one in Thomond Park I was taken aback by some of the posts in other fora about the supporters, mfs.com had some first time posters in a terrible state and lfs.com was even worse where some seasoned posters were in a state of shock of what they witnessed from their fireside seats.

Some thought it was poorly attended despite it being a terrible day and a poor opposition, some thought the athmosphere was terrible was this a result of the perfomance on the field, remember the Italy game in Croke Park last year? and even some people were critical of the colours that people wore.

Before attending the game next Saturday I'd like to know if there is a etiqutte for those attending, should we all go as leprecauns or as mini incredible hulks all dressed in green? I searced the IRFUs site and couldn't find anything there.
    I reviewed crowd pictures from previous games and cant seem to find a uniformed colour for supporters.

I'd hate to offend armchair supporters by wearing the wrong colours.
    Are you serious or not??if you are get help.
    And if your not its a good post(i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Etiquette? Support your team, be respectful and enjoy the game, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

phog wrote: »
    How in the name of god is wearing a provincial or club jersey disrepectful? Most of the Irish players will have come through form the clubs/province?

I wear my Irish jersey but have no problems with supporters wearing their club/provincial jerseys.

Meh - I didn't think I was being cryptic, but I see I probably didn't make my post very clear. It probably sounded like I care more about this topic than I actually do - personally I go to matches in whatever clothes I was going to wear that day anyways, and I don't have any replica jerseys.

What I was referring to in my post was the theory is that that wearing a Provincial Jersey was disrespectful in that it signified you were carrying provincial rivalries on to the national level, i.e. I'm here, but I'm really only supporting the Munster/Leinster/Ulster players on the pitch.

The reason I said 'tad disrespectful' is because, while I follow the logic of the argument, the idea of wearing the 'wrong jersey' for this reason doesn't actually rate with me as an issue - but the theory has been espoused to me in far more impassioned tones several times over the years. While I don't rate it as an issue, some people do.

However, I do think it is a bit silly to show up a red jersey if we're playing a team in a red jersey, a blue jersey if we're playing a team in a blue jersey or a white jersey, if we're playing a team in a white jersey - hence my 'confusing' comment.

In my opinion, if you can afford to be kitted out head to toe in the 'official supporters replica limited edition' kit for your non-green province, you can afford to walk into a €2 shop or stop by one of the street hawkers and buy a green scarf, flag or hat and use that as your all important piece of green flair.

In all honesty, though, what people people wear or do is up to them - the only thing I'm interested in at a rugby match is the action on the pitch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

phog wrote: »
    I'm considering wearing my Munster jersey now to piss this guy off. Some people have very little to worry them. He reckons 10,000 fans at the game last week wore red, well I wore green with the exception of my raingear but I wasn't getting pissed on for anyone, I also had the tri-colour though some guys reckon this doesn't represent the Irish team.

My first though reading this thread was that the OP started that thread on MF too. Seems a bit too much of a coincidence for me. :P

• Advertisement

psicic wrote: »
    Meh - I didn't think I was being cryptic, but I see I probably didn't make my post very clear. It probably sounded like I care more about this topic than I actually do - personally I go to matches in whatever clothes I was going to wear that day anyways, and I don't have any replica jerseys.

What I was referring to in my post was the theory is that that wearing a Provincial Jersey was disrespectful in that it signified you were carrying provincial rivalries on to the national level, i.e. I'm here, but I'm really only supporting the Munster/Leinster/Ulster players on the pitch.

The reason I said 'tad disrespectful' is because, while I follow the logic of the argument, the idea of wearing the 'wrong jersey' for this reason doesn't actually rate with me as an issue - but the theory has been espoused to me in far more impassioned tones several times over the years. While I don't rate it as an issue, some people do.

However, I do think it is a bit silly to show up a red jersey if we're playing a team in a red jersey, a blue jersey if we're playing a team in a blue jersey or a white jersey, if we're playing a team in a white jersey - hence my 'confusing' comment.

In my opinion, if you can afford to be kitted out head to toe in the 'official supporters replica limited edition' kit for your non-green province, you can afford to walk into a €2 shop or stop by one of the street hawkers and buy a green scarf, flag or hat and use that as your all important piece of green flair.

In all honesty, though, what people people wear or do is up to them - the only thing I'm interested in at a rugby match is the action on the pitch.

Well I have the exact opposite view, rugby jerseys are now almost fashionable to wear nowadays, so why not wear it to an international if you want to? WRT people wearing provincial gear only supporting the players from your own province is a load of crap in my opinion, though last week there was a guy and all he shouted for was Rob Kearney must have been his brother. ;) Actually, in a strage sort of way, I like to see some club/provincial colours, it's nice know who's next to you and all that, helps the banter/discussion during the day.

Generally, I'm not in favour of buying gear from the street hawkers, though I did buy from Mr. McScrum in his day because like touts they put nothing back into rugby only take, take, take.

Etiquette? Support your team, be respectful and enjoy the game, that's it.
    And don't swear in front of kids. This is a bad habit of mine. I'll say me piece, look around and there's a flippin' 8 yr old sitting behind me looking shocked and a parent beside them looking angry :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

i wonder how many of the players on the pitch thought the fans wearing red were shouting for canada, is it more acceptable to wear a limerick GAA jersey than a red munster rugby jersey just because it's green?

there is minimal etiquette for international matches. mind your language around kids don't put up an umbrella and be silent for the kickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

and for gods sake make some noise for your team dont just sit there quietly

Advertisement