Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Trap at Ballybrit...

Options
  • 11-11-2008 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

This morning on the way to Oranmore...

- Sunny morning? - Check
    - One of the safest roads in the city and county? - Check
    - Lots of cars trying to get to work? - Check
    - Close to shop with deli counter and coffee? - Check
    - Couldn't be arsed policing a road that actually needs it? - Check

Well done lads...feel safer already

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If they policed some backroad that was dangerous, few people would see them and we'd have people complaining that they are never around.

So they set up on a busy main road but it seems they just can't win
    Bass Cadet wrote: »
    - Close to shop with deli counter and coffee? - Check

Very mature

Name a road in Galway you reckon should have speed traps? A busy road but dangerous also. I've heard Carnmore Cross a few times, seems to be an accident blackspot or at least used to be.
    Just asking your opinion if you made these decisions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

micmclo wrote: »
    If they policed some backroad that was dangerous, few people would see them and we'd have people complaining that they are never around.

So they set up on a busy main road but it seems they just can't win

Aww, 'they just can't win'...well if they did their job using a bit of logic it would help. They might actually save lives policing a dangerous back road with less than 200 cars a day rather than a safe highway with 10,000 cars a day. I can think of numerous roads that would be much better served within the immediate location of Ballybrit...eg the Monivea rd/Airport road (single carriageway road with houses/families close by)
    micmclo wrote: »
    Very mature

Name a road in Galway you reckon should have speed traps? A busy road but dangerous also. I've heard Carnmore Cross a few times, seems to be an accident blackspot or at least used to be.
    Just asking your opinion if you made these decisions :)

'Very mature'?...sorry I didn't know I had to be a certain age to have a sense of humour. As mentioned above the airport rd, the N6 after Oranmore or going into Oranmore...the gort road, carnmore cross as you said, Oranmore coast road (i've only ever seen them there pulling for drink driving). Basically any road with a single carriageway, lots of traffic (at certain times of day) and where speeding cars will try to pass out other cars dangerously and where there are houses close by with families and kids. I could go on and on. It's not rocket science, it really isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

One night going from Galway to Oranmore I came across an accident where a car coming from Oranmore to Galway had what I presume to be a "blow out" and went throught the wire (&hedge) central divide onto my side of the road. The driver escaped without injury - there wasn't a straight panel left on the car. Another day on the way to Galway from Oranmore on the same road I say I nice VW Golf parked in off the Hard Shoulder - through the trees - with its front wheels sitting on the wall.
    Any of these accidents could have been fatal so I have no problem in seeing the Traffic Corps out on that road. They will be seen by more people who might be more careful about their speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

were them crashes because of speed tho??

if it was a tire blow out.. it doesent matter if they were under the speed limit or over it they prob would of lost control anyway... same with the golf ... more than likly it wasent speed related..

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

anto-t wrote: »

if it was a tire blow out.. it doesent matter if they were under the speed limit or over it they prob would of lost control anyway... same with the golf ... more than likly it wasent speed related..

+ 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

anto-t wrote: »
    I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭galway008

Did the coffee shop sell doughnuts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

They were parked up on the left hand side of the dual carriageway just before western motors yesterday morning. Unmarked car...still bloody obvious. Purely a revenue collecting exercise; their targets must eb higher coming up to Christmas.

the system is all wrong, but that an arguement for another day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Purely a revenue collecting exercise

Agree with you on that one. Nothing to do with road safety placing speed traps in such locations, totally a revenue generating exercise.

Advertisement