Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to monitor which programs are downloading!?!

Options
  • 11-11-2008 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm running BitMeter2 on my laptop and every so often I notice that it spikes and downloads about a megabyte of data and then goes down to nothing again.

I'd consider myself to be a poweruser but I can't figure out what program needs to downloading data. I'm pretty careful about the ones that I install as I don't like clutter.

Is there a program available that will tell me which programs are downloading and how much data.

I'm sure its nothing important that its downloading although the thought did cross my mind that it could be something malicious.

Many thanks in advance,
    72oo

(@Mod's if this is in the wrong section please move it.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Any decent firewall will give you a break down of what applications are transferring data.

Failing that and if you're looking for a real comprehensive view of things, Wireshark will give you more information than you can handle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Thanks downloading Wireshack now.
    EDIT: That's huge info alright. Too much infact, I just need to know which program is downloading stuff.

What would be a decent firewall with a transfer rata per program/process? (Currently using standard Vista firewall)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Note that in Wireshark you can filter by ports/dest/src IPs etc so get a list of the well known port numbers for applications and filter by them. You can also specify the protocol to filter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

72hundred wrote: »
    Thanks downloading Wireshack now.
    EDIT: That's huge info alright. Too much infact, I just need to know which program is downloading stuff.

What would be a decent firewall with a transfer rata per program/process? (Currently using standard Vista firewall)
    I use Comodo, which does it just fine for me for basic at-a-glance stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

providing it's windows, netstat -an

back on your bike 7200

• Advertisement

Verb wrote: »
    providing it's windows, netstat -an

back on your bike 7200

Haha, yes I'll get back to cycling forum now shortly! I'm a little lost here Verb!

I use Comodo, which does it just fine for me for basic at-a-glance stuff.
    Comodo does the job. It gives the data for each program. Now to see if I graph it... ;)

Advertisement