Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX LIVE BANS

Options
  • 11-11-2008 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd post some news I've read online today. As of last night Microsoft have started to ban Xbox 360's from live with modified firmeware.

Reports of all drives, samsung, hitachi and BenQ up to firmware 1.41 all being banned.

Same time as last year too. Just before Xmas. So expect to see 360 sales increasing over the next number of weeks.lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

No sympathy here.
    if you have the balls to play copied games AND play on Live and get banned, you have got nothing to complain about.
    You all going to buy new console and play retail games this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

ongarite wrote: »
    No sympathy here.
    if you have the balls to play copied games AND play on Live and get banned, you have got nothing to complain about.
    You all going to buy new console and play retail games this time?

no!

i find it a gift not to be able to play games online as i would hae no life what-so-ever if i was to play games over the 'interweb':)

presonally i just play games through(campaign) and leave it at that.

if you are going to play modified games over 'live', well..........thats just looking for trouble imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I've 4 360's so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    You need to realize that not all people buy their 360's new. Some buy them second hand from E bay. Or get them second hand from shops like Gamestop, some of these have been modded without the buyer knowing that they have been modded. Also not all mods are firmware mods. Some a repair mods like RROD, or replacing a faulty DVD drive, changing the fans. This can also get you banned.
    The first Xbox 360 I had got banned a couple of years ago, coz I fixed the RROD and the open tray error.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

ROC1977 wrote: »
    I've 4 360's so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    You need to realize that not all people buy their 360's new. Some buy them second hand from E bay. Or get them second hand from shops like Gamestop, some of these have been modded without the buyer knowing that they have been modded. Also not all mods are firmware mods. Some a repair mods like RROD, or replacing a faulty DVD drive, changing the fans. This can also get you banned.
    The first Xbox 360 I had got banned a couple of years ago, coz I fixed the RROD and the open tray error.

There is no way the RROD fix or a changing the fans will get you banned

The voltage variations show up in the 360's bios which is easily detected by MS. Also if your xbox is old and starting to have problems reading discs, this gives off a similar "red flag" as a modded firmware 360.

Modding is modding. MS TOS states that non is tolerated.

Below is a link from last years bans.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23808

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

nah the dopes who are getting banned played COD WOW and GOW2 before their official release dates, some rumours on some of the forums is that M$ set the GOW2 out in the wild to catch out the owners with modded 360's, even if your not subscribed to live, your 360 continues to feed info on your console back to M$. So its down to those two games why modded 360's are being banned.
    got this from another forum as I suspected
    Anyone who has played a non-retail or early release copy is effected by this ban, According to C4eva - Microsoft has not changed detection for backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

i got banned last night night. So what? ill just buy another one cheap on ebay and use that to play online. i can still use my other xbox360 to play my dodgy games. My account can still be used so who cares if you get banned. You still save in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Seems alot of people have been caught out here,
    Good few reports of people getting banned for a review copy saints row2 that did thr rounds.

It seem fairly random. Doesn't seem to matter what year the 360 was built, drive type, firmware, review copies of games, bad game rips, or the NXE that loads have illegally downloaded.

Theres been loads of review copys floating around lately, asking for trouble all the Security sectors will be different than the retail versions.

A Noob ripping group called Seed4me have been releasing review copies via torrentleech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭andros

I'm new in the business,

Tell me someone if I've modded console (any mod RRoD or Flashed Drive) will I get benned even when not playing backup games?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 poushaminkin

I have done the RROD fix on my launch console, and no ban for me....
    I don't see how the fix could change anything.... the same heatsink is used, its just attached differently to give more even pressure on the chip. That alone wouldn't change any voltages, just heat dissipation (like it was brand spankin' new instead of old and worn out).

No idea about the DVD drive though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭andros

I guess will wait 'till NXE on 19th to save my DVD from being grinded to dust and not being punished for taking care of my property which cost me a small fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I expected a ban on the way. Ive been offline since the 10th.

A few weeks ago i played Saints Row about a week early, as soon as i put it in i got disconnected from Live. I thought i was banned then, but put a different game in and i was fine. I got dissconnected every time i played Saints Row so i knew something was up.

I expect when my internet is back i will be banned. Do i care? No. Ill sell my modded console plus 100ish games to one of my mates who dont play online.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I expected a ban on the way. Ive been offline since the 10th.

A few weeks ago i played Saints Row about a week early, as soon as i put it in i got disconnected from Live. I thought i was banned then, but put a different game in and i was fine. I got dissconnected every time i played Saints Row so i knew something was up.

I expect when my internet is back i will be banned. Do i care? No. Ill sell my modded console plus 100ish games to one of my mates who dont play online.
    You played backed up games on live, ban's a' comin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

if i play a game on my modded xbox 360, get achievements and then put the hdd back into the non-modded one will i be able to load these achievements on live when i log on. Will this be classed as cheating and can microsoft detect that i got these achievements on a modded console

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Probably a stupid question but; is there any hacks out there that don't result in a ban? Has anyone got banned from chipping the console or all the cases the flashed firmware?

The latest iXtreme 1.4 is 100%

People are getting banned for playing bad rips, such as review copy's which are blatantly obvious as all there security sectors will differ from a "retail" rip.

If it was the firmware which had been found out every1 would be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

So am i right in saying that the games weren't properly stealthed? Is it safe to play stealthed games online?

• Advertisement
Advertisement