Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on Settlements

• 11-11-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Can anyone tell me here if there is tax/anything to be paid (to the government) on a court settlement or an out of court settlement? and if so, what rate?

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Depends on a lot of things I think. Certain settlements are exempt. You'd have to determine whether it's capital or income as well would be my guess. Care to offer any further details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

right - house that was meant to go to someone. solicitor made a f**k up and now its going to someone else. Taking solicitor to court for the price of the house. If there was a settlement (in or out of court) what would the tax be or would it be exempt (please god exempt!!!)

Advertisement