Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left4Dead Demo

• 11-11-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Lads, Is this demo going up today on live ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Should be, yep. No idea what time though. Keep an eye on http://www.majornelson.com - the minute its live, you'll see it announced with a press release there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Sweet. I presume the demo is multiplayer ... that being the point of the game and all (although you can play with bots right ?) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

on various sites it said it will be availible at 2am PST which if im correct is 10am GMT, still no sign of it yet tho:mad:

this is out on the steam network at 3pm so hopefully it will be the same for the xbox

its up now!

• Advertisement

skelliser wrote: »
    its up now!

Sa-weet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Brilliant game this, had the demo since the weekend - graphics may not be cutting edge, but the co-op gameplay is second to none. You need some decent team mates though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

ya, its good, i only played the single player last nite and enjoyed it. The horde is frantic when its sprinting at you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Played this last night too, Had 3 other randomers online and they were serious about it so it was good fun. Defo be picking this up for a purchase.

I dont know whether to rent or buy it yet...I need to try the online co-op anyways...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ixm1980

djkeogh wrote: »
    Played this last night too, Had 3 other randomers online and they were serious about it so it was good fun. Defo be picking this up for a purchase.

+1. Reall good craic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

the funny thing is that demos are meant to make you more into the game..the demo did the opposite for me..althought its good fun,the demo illustrates my quibble with it being too short...its a plain shooter with no dept tbh and now,after playing the 1.2gig brief demo..its just a rent for me...im only gonna get gow2,pes and cod wow this xmas...the rest in my opinion are only rents nothing more nothing less..

• Fol20 wrote: »
    the funny thing is that demos are meant to make you more into the game..the demo did the opposite for me..althought its good fun,the demo illustrates my quibble with it being too short...its a plain shooter with no dept tbh and now,after playing the 1.2gig brief demo..its just a rent for me...im only gonna get gow2,pes and cod wow this xmas...the rest in my opinion are only rents nothing more nothing less..
    I really got to disagree with you there. There is so much depth in this game. Teamplay is so important, sharing medpacks..conserving ammo, sticking together, it play's to the way your acting. was playing the demo all day today..played out randomly every time. it made me feel extremely tense. the zombie ai is excellent. i always had the feeling that every1 was screwed. il explain a scenario that happened today. we moved into this large area with no zombies in it, then one fat zombie came around the cornor and spat vomit on my teamamte and all of sudden hordes of fast zombies came raping into the room, 2 guys ended up on the floor malled while me and my last teamate ran away towards the safe room just ahead. i had 10 hp and limping...my l;ast teamate got pounced by some climbing zombie guy and i closed the door just as there was about 20 zombies running behind me...man it was insane. give it another few trys...u mite think different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Versus mode is going to be the meat of the game anyway, but yeah if you're having doubts just rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I really got to disagree with you there. There is so much depth in this game. Teamplay is so important ...
    il explain a scenario that happened today. we moved into this large area with no zombies in it, then one fat zombie came around the cornor and spat vomit on my teamamte and all of sudden hordes of fast zombies came raping into the room, 2 guys ended up on the floor malled while me and my last teamate ran away towards the safe room just ahead. i had 10 hp and limping...my l;ast teamate got pounced by some climbing zombie guy and i closed the door just as there was about 20 zombies running behind me...man it was insane. give it another few trys...u mite think different.
    Great team play there mate ... Run Away! Run Away! :D
    (Just kidding - it sounds like a great scenario, though, that you never know what's coming next... Must try out the demo.)

Played it now on PC and 360. Really good game but I do have doubts about it maybe getting repetitive. I think the short demo (two small enough maps) though is making it repetitive. More maps and versus play should ensure its a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

brianon wrote: »
    Played it now on PC and 360. Really good game but I do have doubts about it maybe getting repetitive. I think the short demo (two small enough maps) though is making it repetitive. More maps and versus play should ensure its a winner.

I agree - this is less than 10% of the full game (1.5 maps apparently in the demo compared to 20 in the full version). The game is designed NOT to be repetitive - the AI Director sees to that. I have played through the demo numerous times and I have yet to see an identical scenario.

Having humans on your team makes a massive difference i.e more difficult. We were getting slaughtered on expert mode last night until 2 of our party left and we got a lot further with 2 AI team mates. Plus we haven't even seen Versus mode yet.

I don't think I have ever seen a game which requires co-operative teamwork on this level. The "run & gun" lone wolves will not do very well. I think this game will certainly gain a cult following (Counterstrike with an emphasis on team play?).

I wouldnt mind trying the co-op with ye if ye're tonight...

Add me if your playing, would prefer to play with an irish squad more than the usual giving out/singing down the mic LIVE crowd...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The "run & gun" lone wolves will not do very well.

Indeed. I got killed three times on the sub way level for just that.

Not sure about the game yet. Graphics seem very poor (worse than Half Life 2?) and there's no plot. Still this is Valve we're talking about so I probably will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I think there will be plenty of replay value in this one. What with the random allocation of Zombies and the team play elements. If you sit down with 3 other friends and place this seriously while having a few beers I think the potential for an amazing gaming experience is off the chart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Fol20 wrote: »
    im only gonna get gow2,pes and cod wow this xmas...the rest in my opinion are only rents nothing more nothing less..

This game pisses all over GOW 2 to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Julez wrote: »
    This game pisses all over GOW 2 to be fair.
    Or vomits Zombie Puke, to be more accurate :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

anyone up for a game? Add me if you are, PurebredDnA on XBL :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Played the single player and thought meh wasn't crazy on it. But after I played the 4 player co op it turned this into a great game. It a good laugh with 4 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

DingDong wrote: »
    Played the singal player and thought meh wasn't crazy on it. But after I played the 4 player co op it turned this into a great game. It a good laugh with 4 people.

Yeah playing on your own is crap. Even one human player makes it alot better. I was happy and surprised to find out playing with randomers on xbox live, they actually stick together most of the time and help you and the team! Cant wait for the full game now :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lardossan

the demo is quite cool, deffo up for some multiplayer. Tag is Lardossan1972

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Does the multiplayer alone make it worth a buy though? I dunno, the single player would have to step up a fair bit to make it worth the purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Moiph wrote: »
    Does the multiplayer alone make it worth a buy though? I dunno, the single player would have to step up a fair bit to make it worth the purchase.

I never buy a game for the single player mode always for multiplayer so I'd say its worth it just from playing the demo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

djkeogh wrote: »
    I think there will be plenty of replay value in this one. What with the random allocation of Zombies and the team play elements. If you sit down with 3 other friends and place this seriously while having a few beers I think the potential for an amazing gaming experience is off the chart.

I'd recommend buying for PC TBH where you will also get all the mods and updates for free and first :D

If valve do update this for 360, it will most likely be a paid for update like Portal :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

brim4brim wrote: »
    I'd recommend buying for PC TBH where you will also get all the mods and updates for free and first :D

If valve do update this for 360, it will most likely be a paid for update like Portal :(

Yea im wanting to get the PC version only none of my friends have gaming computers so ill be playing with randomers or alone so im more than likely going to get it for 360 only.. Damn expensive pc's!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement