Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is brisbane worth going to?

Options
  • 11-11-2008 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Sinmple post really, I' ve got 5 days off work, and was thinkning of heading out that way. Is it worth seeing for a few days? Are the east coast places such as aurfers paradise and the gold coast in easy distance of there? How is transport to and from the airport? In am coming from perth and will be in the air for a while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Definitely worth going.

Surfer's and the Gold Coast is an hour drive south of Brisbane so well within distance for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Yeah Brisvegas is definitely worth a visit. I always have a good time hanging out in the Valley. Surfers doesn't really do it for me. I would prefer to drive a couple more hours south and hang out in Byron Bay instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Brisbane is ok for a few days, ye. I spent 3 weeks there and got sick of it.

Surfers is a bit "ballymun in the sun" but still something ya shoudl see for a weekend or so.

Byron bay, thats another weekend. Not much to do there tbh.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Byron bay, thats another weekend. Not much to do there tbh.
    I love the pace of Byron even though it is small and has changed so much in the last 10 years or so since I've been going there. All the old hippies are being pushed out by city slickers desperate to escape the rat race. Even still I have had some of the wackiest experiences there but I guess that comes with the territory ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Yeah I could reccomend my hom e town also. Its a perfect basew to go up and down the coast if the beach is your thing.

Also if trashy theme parks and al sorts of USA style attraction are your thing thats close too.

A less well known feature are the hinterland areas west of the sunny and gold coasts. Tropical moutain hideaways..Tambourine was real good.
    We went on an SAS Krypton Factor style assault course day, hit a winery for lunch and samples and then the ice creamery for fresh made ice cream.

I really have to hand it to Brizzy there is so much to do within 2 or 3 hours of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Brisbane Itself is a God Awful Shoitehole Avoid like the plauge !!!

A less well known feature are the hinterland areas west of the sunny and gold coasts. Tropical moutain hideaways..Tambourine was real good.
    I have a friend that lives up on Mount Tambourine. Its pretty lush up there with a great view of the Gold Coast in the distance.
    Brisbane Itself is a God Awful Shoitehole Avoid like the plauge !!!
    Thats a pretty big call. I reckon outside of Melbourne it has the best live music scene and nightlife.

Take a trip along the river on a boat. There is no question that it is a beautiful city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Big call alright, but I've lived here for nearly 5 years, tis a shoitehole of a place most of the time,it has its moments but theres toomuch of a country town feel about the place, populated with bogens and suburbanites

Yeah what is it with Brissie and bogans.??

I am the same way about Melbourne which has been home for nearly a decade. I was entertaining thoughts of moving to Benders (Bendigo) because it seems like a pretty good party town and I am kinda over city living.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tonka

its saying something about a place if the locals think they need to add "vegas" to its title. (Is that a banana bender thing?Rock-vegas aka Rockhampton)

Fortitude Valley is Brisbanes Northbridge, and thats about it, no subiaco nor fremantle.

outside the valley I reckon Surfers Paradise is the place to go for a good night out , it has the highest density of licensed places in Australia i heard somewhere. also its the best place for surfing in QLD i aint seen any inshore breakers. elsewere.

I would sooner fly to Cairns over "Bris-vegas" for a 5day break outta Perth. more things to do up there , warmer. though dec/jan is the stinking hot time.

Byron bay is also a good party town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 loafysophy

I lived in brissie for 3 years a while back. The valley east of town was the best place to hang out. Loads of great music venues, food spots and a nice market on the weekend. Go to timeoff to check out the gig guide for music. The Zoo and Rics were always favourite spots, more links below.

http://www.timeoff.com.au/html/
    http://www.ricsbar.com.au/indexm.htm
    http://www.thezoo.com.au/home.html

Personally I always avoided surfers paradise like the plague, way too tacky, especially the larger than life replica of Michelangelo's David that features in the mall next to the beach. Further south around Burleigh heads and Kirra, isn't bad, and way further south across the border like byron bay is great. An alternative to the southern beaches is to head head north to Maroochydore or Noosa and check out the sugar loaf mountains on the way.

Loafysophy

Advertisement