Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitty Query

Options
  • 11-11-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

Just wondering, my kitten is about 6-7 months old at the moment .. Got her from a gal on boards at about 8weeks.

& myself & the boyfriend have decided before she gets neutered we'd like her to have a litter, cos I'd love some company for her. But I'm not sure what age is old enough to even think about it?

Gonna chat to the vet aswell, & hopefully get her a visit from a tabby boy at some point :p.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hmm some people rehome animals to people on the condition that they're not going to be bred ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Company?

You want to breed a litter of kittens so you can keep potentially 20-25% of the progeny as company for your existing cat? And what happens to the rest of them?

IMO: blunty put, irresponsible pet ownership.

Even more harshly: get over yourselves, and stop making your cat your own substitute child.

Get your cat neutered, and go to the pound and enquire about adopting one of the thousands of unwanted cats that will be put to sleep as company for your cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

In all fairness I was looking for an opinion on how old my cat can be to have one litter before she is neutered. Not to be told I'm an irrespnsible pet owner.

Substitute child... I've just moved out of my own home I think having a kitten is perfectly normal for a couple that have just moved out.

I did adopt a kitten before from a shelter, & they never told me he had leukemia, so he was put down. & I was heartbroken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Admittedly sometimes posters on here can be fairly blunt in their opinion but while I don't necessarily agree with that their point is correct.

There are THOUSANDS of unwanted cats and kittens in Ireland. If you want company for your little kitty please re-home another cat. As someone else mentioned many rescues would not re-home a kitty to you if they thought you were going to breed from them.

Please re-consider this. Have your girl spayed and get on the lookout for a little companion cat for her but please do the right thing and don't breed more unwanted cats.

I think if you have any concern about the huge problem of stray cats in Ireland, unwanted pets, shelters bursting at their seams, then you wouldn't want to breed your own.

Please please rescue another kitten and not add another 6 or 7 to the mix unnecessarily. Also, think about the responsibility in rehoming the litter? Who are you going to give them to? You'll be wondering if they're being cared for properly and whether they're also going to breed ...

Your cat is not going to be bothered either way ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

After being responded to in a more civil way, I'm actually considering that.
    I think I may actually re-home a lil kitten. We got her (Ella) from boards, & she's an absolute princess, I love her to bits, & she's super happy.

I'm gonna wait til she's spayed to adopt, may get another female.

But thank you for your opinions (:
    It'd be the better choice

Good for you.

It's a nice feeling too to save an unwanted kitten from a life in a shelter (or worse....) and you'll find it very rewarding!

Try www.irishanimals.ie or petsireland.invisionzone.com !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

After being responded to in a more civil way, I'm actually considering that.
    I think I may actually re-home a lil kitten. We got her (Ella) from boards, & she's an absolute princess, I love her to bits, & she's super happy.

I'm gonna wait til she's spayed to adopt, may get another female.

But thank you for your opinions (:
    It'd be the better choice

Excellent news! :) This way you are giving an unwanted kitty a great home! Well done you and make sure when you do get your new furball you come back a post pictures of the two of them! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

It's a nice thought to want another kitten as company for your cat, but going out of your way to breed your cat is exactly the opposite of kitten welfare because you will be adding to the number of kittens needing homes when you could reduce that number by adopting one. The outcome will be the same - a new kitten, or two, to add to your family. I think that should have been pointed out without insulting you - the substitute child comment was groundless and unneccessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Made a cup of tea while writing that and didn't see the previous posts. Good for you. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement