Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Cladding on Ceiling

Options
  • 11-11-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Its time to re-do the kitchen ceiling... the old ceiling is quite poor after a number of leaks from the bathroom / hot press above....

I was planning on putting wooden cladding up, was going to use the metal clips that slip into the tongue and groove to hold it in place..

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy the cladding itself? have priced it in B&Q and it works out about €8 / square metre...

Should i be leaving expansion gaps at the edges? and leaving slight gaps in the tongue and groove section?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

For fire safety ensure ceiling is fully intact before cladding ceiling - no holes in plasterboard to ensure fire resistance.
    Shop around for prices, leave an expansion gap around the perimeter and cover this gap (8 -12mm) with pine beading. Fix each board tight - no gaps between boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

From builders providers in Galway I got unfinished for €20 per 4sqmtrs pack. B&Q on that type of stuff is usually not great IMO.
    Get a loan of a pneumatic nailer and you'll zoom through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

Thanks for the replies....

I'll have to put a few small openings in the ceiling as i'll be putting in some wiring for down lighters, but will plaster it back up with some bonding...

God €20 / 4m2 pack sounds good, i reckon i'd need about 3 packs.... for that in B&Q i'd be looking at €100. Can I ask which builders providers?

A pneumatic nailer would be very quick, not sure i'll have that option, I may have to use them clips that go into the tongue and grove...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

the stuff is cheap as chip in the provider. In 16' lenths.

Rent a paslode brad nailer . If you are handy with a nail gun you will be able to secret nail the T, G & V.

Timber Sheeting T G & V is the more common name for it.

You could also price the prefinised french sheeting at your provider. Looks beter.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    the stuff is cheap as chip in the provider. In 16' lenths.

Rent a paslode brad nailer . If you are handy with a nail gun you will be able to secret nail the T, G & V.

Timber Sheeting T G & V is the more common name for it.

You could also price the prefinised french sheeting at your provider. Looks beter.

Thanks for the help above... I've got my hands on a nail gun....

I've been ringing around and most of the suppliers i've found have been roughly the same price as B&Q, i've tried Heaton Bucklys & Chadwicks....

Does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin that would be good to try?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Thanks for the help above... I've got my hands on a nail gun....

I've been ringing around and most of the suppliers i've found have been roughly the same price as B&Q, i've tried Heaton Bucklys & Chadwicks....

Does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin that would be good to try?

would be interested in your results.

Dublin prices with chadwicks where 20% more than McCarthys in Prosperous Kildare.

I would rather travel than giv greedy providers the extra. But thats just me!
    I never order in dublin. But Goodwins can be compeditive. Lucan baced.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    would be interested in your results.

Dublin prices with chadwicks where 20% more than McCarthys in Prosperous Kildare.

I would rather travel than giv greedy providers the extra. But thats just me!
    I never order in dublin. But Goodwins can be compeditive. Lucan baced.

Chadwicks only sell it in 8' packs of 10 for €18.95 ( 2.4 x 0.095 x 10 = 2.28 m2 )

I'll give goodwins a call....

Goodwins sell it in 8' packs of 10 for €20 ( 2.4 x 0.095 x 10 = 2.28 m2 )

Goodwins sell it in 8' packs of 10 for €20 ( 2.4 x 0.095 x 10 = 2.28 m2 )

It looks like B&Q is competitive when it comes to this, which doesn't seem right, i'll have to check the B&Q prices again...

Advertisement