Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

From owning a car to no car

Options
  • 11-11-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here sold there car and gone back to having, well, none? How'd you find it, was it a good decision or a bad decision? I'm asking because I'm considering selling my own car to save a bit of cash.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It's not bad.

depends where abouts ya live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I sold my car few months ago and I am regretting it now its not nice walking in the cold :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Ah I llive near the train. I bet you don't miss paying Road tax though Marky. I'd only be concerned that It'd be hard to get back driving again in a year or two ie I'd have to car to trade in and would have to get a big loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

silvine wrote: »
    would have to get a big loan.

... or a cheap car :D

So is now a good time for selling a second hand car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

nope ...could hardly be any worse

Doesn't sound like there's much chance in things improving and getting better value for my car down the road ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

How much are you saving? If you have a no-claims-bonus, you should be able to run a small car for less than €1000 per year. And you have to cost in the alternatives (bus fares, taxis etc.).

There are probably easier ways to save money: use a bicycle when possible (cancel the gym) and stop drinking, for example!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

kuro_man wrote: »
    If you have a no-claims-bonus, you should be able to run a small car for less than €1000 per year

If you remove the word small from that sentence you can get some really incredible value. Every day, there are beautiful cars going to the scrapyard because they're engines are bigger than 1.6. Even more so now.

A friend of mine has been trying to kill his €400 626 but he can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

From owning a car to none, simply just ask anyone who got bottled. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I went without a car for 7 weeks and I dont know if I could do it again especially in Ireland with the bad weather.

Going to work in the rain and coming home in the rain.
    I love going for drives and not been able to hop into your car and go where you like isnt nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sold my own car, during my search for a new one. When it was gone i was driven demented, i had to rob the sisters for two weeks. Bloody Punto lol! I couldn't last with a car, although i love my car and i'm a lazy ****er:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Four years ago when I moved to Cambridge, I sold my car in Ireland and didn't buy another car for 18 months. The only reason I eventually bought a car was because I changed jobs and there was no direct commuting link from where I lived to my new workplace.

Honestly, I found the lack of a car didn't impede on my life at all. I lived a 10 minute walk from the centre of Cambridge and 10 minutes from the train station with direct trains to London so I didn't need a car at all.

In fact I'd forgotten how much a car costs to run every month (fuel, tax, insurance, wear-and-tear, parts, services and of course depreciation ;) etc.).

EDIT: Having returned to owning a car however, I've also re-appreciated the freedom that owning a car gives you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Four years ago when I moved to Cambridge, I sold my car in Ireland and didn't buy another car for 18 months. The only reason I eventually bought a car was because I changed jobs and there was no direct commuting link from where I lived to my new workplace.

Isn't that because your not allowed have a car in Cambridge? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mine car was at mechanic for 1 month, and it was biggest pain in a hole! Specially when you live in a small town. No transport, no nothing.

It costs alot, but freedom costs alot. I even think of buying second car, so i wount need to share it with misses. And we could rent a house outside town.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Isn't that because your not allowed have a car in Cambridge? Lol

Ha ha, true in Cambridge the bicycle is king and the city council deliberately don't make driving easy but you can drive directly into the city centre and once you get used to it, it's very handy for driving. In fact, I quite like the extra challenge of developing a heightened sense of awareness due to all the bicycles. :)

Advertisement