Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FPS Games: Keyboard & Mouse V's Console Controller

Options
  • 11-11-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I love me FPS games and I've never enjoyed playing FPS games on consoles.

Recently I've been told Console/controllers are a far better gaming experience that requires more skill than a Keyboard & Mouse.

I find this to be an extremely hard pill to swallow after soo many years playing FPS games on my PC.

What do you think? Should I ditch my Keyboard and Mouse in exchange for a PS3 or XBOX controller?

What is your preference?

For FPS Games which is better? 88 votes

PC: Keyboard & Mouse
    0% 0 votes
    Console: Controller
    84% 74 votes
    Only kids play FPS games on Consoles!
    15% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

HAHAHAHA!

Jesus... there is no contest!

Keyboard/Mouse 4tw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I am a bit geeksville - have the PS3, the 360 & a decent PC. I reckon using a controller definitely requires more skill (in FPS games it is something I have GREAT difficulty with, despite constant usage) - but something requiring more skill does not make it a better alternative in my book. With good FPS games - if they are out simultaneously on PC & console, I will tend to buy FPS games for PC as I am considerably more accurate with a mouse - sure doesn't the mouse accurately mimic your hand movements as opposed to trying to mimic hand movement with some itty little joystick? Also the keyboard gives you access to a considerably larger amount of keys, for movement, weapon selection, alterntive fire modes - the works in other words. Unfortunately - as it is with games at the moment, I am generally forced to buy most FPS games on console & try to live with their frustrating control systems. If only consoles had a mouse and keyboard option I would be laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 free games

definitely keyboard+mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

They have FPS that you don't use a keyboard/mouse for now?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

jim o doom wrote: »
    I am a bit geeksville - have the PS3, the 360 & a decent PC. I reckon using a controller definitely requires more skill (in FPS games it is something I have GREAT difficulty with, despite constant usage) - but something requiring more skill does not make it a better alternative in my book. With good FPS games - if they are out simultaneously on PC & console, I will tend to buy FPS games for PC as I am considerably more accurate with a mouse - sure doesn't the mouse accurately mimic your hand movements as opposed to trying to mimic hand movement with some itty little joystick? Also the keyboard gives you access to a considerably larger amount of keys, for movement, weapon selection, alterntive fire modes - the works in other words. Unfortunately - as it is with games at the moment, I am generally forced to buy most FPS games on console & try to live with their frustrating control systems. If only consoles had a mouse and keyboard option I would be laughing.

My thoughts exactly :) = why i prefer Mouse/Keyboard. there's more accuracy and response times are much quicker with a mouse compared to a toggle imo.

thx keep it going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I never got into PC gaming and I never will as , in the long run, it's far more expensive and I just never liked using a keyboard and mouse for playing games on! Whether I'm in the minority or not, it has to be console controller for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

the argument here is which one is harder to use ye? not which one requires more skill ye?

them little ball rotaty things on joypads do my fookin head in.

Its a lot harder to use console pads. but keyboards and mouse are way better.

If you put a team (playing the same amount of time) of cod4 players on console vs. a team on PC. The PC lads would knock 7 colours of **** outa them without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Frank Rizzo

My dick itches when i pee :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

thx keep it going.

It's kind of a moot point at this stage. Console gamers have never said the controller is better than a keyboard and a mouse.

Much like most gamers would not say a controller is better than a steering wheel for driving games.

The controller is the jack of all trades, its good at handling every type of game, but there will always be some other device that is more specialized for specific genres of gaming.

For instance the keyboard is good for FPS's, but it is greatly inferior to the controller for genres like racing and platformers.

I've played FPS's on the console, and they weren't as bad as I thought they would be. They'll never offer the accuracy of a keyboard and mouse but then the games are usually designed to accommodate for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Recently I've been told Console/controllers are a far better gaming experience that requires more skill than a Keyboard & Mouse.

Of course it does, not only do you have to fight against the AI grunts but you've also got to fight against a terrible control method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

If COD4 players on the PC could fight their counterparts on Live, the PC players would win more often than not even if they were ****. And for one reason. FPS games are easier with a mouse and keyboard. You can turn around a lot quicker for example.

The 360 controller is great for FPS games all the same (just not as accurate as a mouse). It is awful for RTS games though. I've yet to play an RTS with it and find the experience enjoyable.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    It's kind of a moot point at this stage. Console gamers have never said the controller is better than a keyboard and a mouse.

Much like most gamers would not say a controller is better than a steering wheel for driving games.

The controller is the jack of all trades, its good at handling every type of game, but there will always be some other device that is more specialized for specific genres of gaming.

For instance the keyboard is good for FPS's, but it is greatly inferior to the controller for genres like racing and platformers.

I've played FPS's on the console, and they weren't as bad as I thought they would be. They'll never offer the accuracy of a keyboard and mouse but then the games are usually designed to accommodate for this.

This is my argument with the Console Gamer who swares blind that a Console Toggle is far superior to the keyboard and mouse. That includes the skill required to use one and the game experience ie response times, aim and buzz.

I love gaming I've played PC's and Consoles all my life... i see PC gaming mainly for RTS or FPS games. While consoles win hands down for sport/driving games like need for speed or FIFA/Pro Evo.

Im just an avid lover of FPS games and can't stomach the idea that my friend is right. So we agreed to put it to a boards.ie poll for resolution.

Cheers
    Max

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

This thread is going to be pretty one-sided. No matter what rabid fanboi you dig up, from any console-specific background, they all have to concede that K&M is superior to a controller.

With the introduction of analog sticks, the gap has narrowed but not close enough for it to be competitive.

BTW Unreal Tournament III on the PS3 has K&M support and while it has had to be adjusted to make sure that the advantage it has over the controller is not as large, it still provides more accuracy and speed than the controller.

I just hope more games include this feature.

My dick itches when i pee :eek:

You need to get that looked at Rizzo :) Must've been from the last NOG weekend away when you were with that dirty fella Glowingbulb! "Ohh Yes!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I prefer a controller for comfort and moving the character about

No doubt a mouse is more accurate and faster for aiming. Not very realistic mind but if we judge "better" in the ability to kill the opposing team more quickly. It is way ahead

Overall I prefer a controller for FPS games mainly due to comfort. Just because I prefer it does not make it better and I would not imply that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's always a small amount of auto aim in console FPS games because the the method just cannot compete with the accuracy and speed of a keyboard and mouse combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

***smells Bias***

I reckon keyboard and mouse will win the poll mainly because you can't post on boards with a controller.

This is my argument with the Console Gamer who swares blind that a Console Toggle is far superior to the keyboard and mouse. That includes the skill required to use one and the game experience ie response times, aim and buzz.

If we are talking generally then I'd say the controller, in its current incarnation, is better than the keyboard and mouse. Purely because it is more versatile and fits better with a wider range of gaming genres.

But for FPS, where immersion pretty much hinges on being able to make your characters eyes look where your eyes want to look you can't beat the mouse. The mouse allows for near perfect hand/eye coordination. I've never felt this with a controller as where I end up getting my character to look on screen is usually just an approximation of where I actually wanted him to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

silvine wrote: »
    ***smells Bias***

I reckon keyboard and mouse will win the poll mainly because you can't post on boards with a controller.

Yes you can... but very slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Otacon wrote: »
    Yes you can... but very slowly.

How slow would that be ;)

screenshot_176920_thumb300.jpg

• Advertisement

duno about the bias its an interesting thread and there are lot more console lovers out there lately.

time will tell :)

Vegeta wrote: »
    How slow would that be ;)

screenshot_176920_thumb300.jpg

ahahha deadly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Frank Rizzo

i think you need to re write the poll...

Which do you prefer to use

Console Pad
    Mouse Keyboard
    Cock Puncher

Coz i use both.. each has its own advantages/disadvantages..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Would be nice if there was a peripheral for pc with a few buttons and an alalog stick to use with the left hand, with a mouse in the right hand.

Which do you prefer to use

Console Pad
    Mouse Keyboard
    Cock Puncher

Coz i use both.. each has its own advantages/disadvantages..

you use a C*ck puncher and a console pad? That doesn't sound like fun?

TPD wrote: »
    Would be nice if there was a peripheral for pc with a few buttons and an alalog stick to use with the left hand, with a mouse in the right hand.

Get onto Ben Heck, I'm sure he'd make one for ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Frank Rizzo, from the Jerky Boyz? Jesus that takes me me back.

Oh Keyboard + mouse is the only way to play FPS.

Cock Puncher

lol... reminded me of this

L31mr0d wrote: »

thats the one and only :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

silvine wrote: »
    ***smells Bias***

or maybe because it's a far superior method of control?

or would that be too logical?

Advertisement