Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FPS Games: Keyboard & Mouse V's Console Controller

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

TPD wrote: »
    Would be nice if there was a peripheral for pc with a few buttons and an alalog stick to use with the left hand, with a mouse in the right hand.

http://www.n52te.com/

belkin-n52te-speed-pad2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Frank Rizzo

or maybe because it's a far superior method of control?

or would that be too logical?

wow .. since u joined boards, u average 64 posts a week...;)
    hmmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

L31mr0d wrote: »

n52te is a piece of crap

/looks over at his n52te in disgust

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

"Takes more skill to play with a controller"

Riiiight. I might argue that it takes more skill to change a lightbulb with your feet than your hands, but why the hell would I?

Playing FPS with a controller may be more difficult, but to suggest it takes more skill and is something to be proud of, is pretty silly IMO.

Somehow play the best k&m player against the best controller user, and the controller player will lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Fairly simple answer tbh

After my transition to PC after consoles, I remember re-playing hitman 2 on the PS2 and I looked at the controller thinking "Wtf is this s***.."
    I simply can't play a console FPS anymore, mouse and keyboard ftw etc.

I wouldn't really say a console controller requires more skill. I mean, take any game thats on both PC & generic console, its not going to be harder/easier on a console because they have made adjustments. In the console game, the enemy will have far less accuracy and you will have improved accuracy compared to the pc port. I also believe the gameplay is much slower in console fps's, which kinda ruins it for me

Edit:
    A mate of mine gave that a go for a week and said it was fairly crap and went back to the standard keyboard, I imagine it requires a fair amount of getting used to before being superior to the bog standard keyboard, just FYI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hi all,

I love me FPS games and I've never enjoyed playing FPS games on consoles.

Recently I've been told Console/controllers are a far better gaming experience that requires more skill than a Keyboard & Mouse.

I find this to be an extremely hard pill to swallow after soo many years playing FPS games on my PC.

What do you think? Should I ditch my Keyboard and Mouse in exchange for a PS3 or XBOX controller?

What is your preference?

Personally for me It has to be the mouse and keyboard, the hand eye co-ordination with them as a tool is so much better and more accurate as you can tweak it to your liking.

I find console controllers to be clunky and hard to use at time and you just dont get the control of the mouse and keyboard. Although i do have to give microsoft props on their controller design, as i think the xbox control setup is probably closest i have seen a console get you control of mouse and keyboard.

I would say the reason you are being told that consoles are better is due to online console play becoming more and more mainstream, so there is a wider audience of casual gamers who would just buy a console rather than a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

n52te is a piece of crap

/looks over at his n52te in disgust

Oh I know. I would never of bought it. Pretty much anything made by Belkin is going to be rubbish. They tend to always prioritize form over function. I was just saying that there are people out there throwing out numerous different setups to try and replace the keyboard.

Some of them I might of actually tried if it wasn't for the fact that I'm left handed and no gaming m/k producers cater to me :(

Oh I know. I would never of bought it. Pretty much anything made by Belkin is going to be rubbish. They tend to always prioritize form over function. I was just saying that there are people out there throwing out numerous different setups to try and replace the keyboard.

Some of them I might of actually tried if it wasn't for the fact that I'm left handed and no gaming m/k producers cater to me :(

I was talking about the te edition.

N52te is belkin and razer. Its there pro gamer version but is terrible compared to the original. The original had better build and software.

N52te and the barracuda headset have turned me against razer products.

Keyboard + mouse is the best.

Can't beat a good keyboard like G15 and a decent mouse (G9 or razer).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well keyboard+mouse all the way...

I bought Cod4 for ps3, and i did enyoed for a long time, but then i got a decent pc and got cod4 on pc...

And oh my god how better it is. you can make alot difficult moves, bigger accuracy.

thought i did loved to play cod4 on 40 inch TV :D.

Will need to get myslef a second set of keyboard/mouse which would be wireless. so i could hook mine pc to TV and play games on 40 inch :D.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Driving a car while sitting in the back seat with rope attached to the steering wheel and big stick for the pedals, requires more skill than being in the driver's seat. It's a sh!tty way to drive though.

I would never buy a FPS or a RTS on a console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Maximilian wrote: »
    Driving a car while sitting in the back seat with rope attached to the steering wheel and big stick for the pedals, requires more skill than being in the driver's seat. It's a sh!tty way to drive though.

Brilliant lol chuckle chortle

Darkener wrote: »
    Personally for me It has to be the mouse and keyboard, the hand eye co-ordination with them as a tool is so much better and more accurate as you can tweak it to your liking.

I find console controllers to be clunky and hard to use at time and you just dont get the control of the mouse and keyboard. Although i do have to give microsoft props on their controller design, as i think the xbox control setup is probably closest i have seen a console get you control of mouse and keyboard.

I would say the reason you are being told that consoles are better is due to online console play becoming more and more mainstream, so there is a wider audience of casual gamers who would just buy a console rather than a PC.

You could be right there buddy but the bottom line is my mate clearly said console controller is better hands down and requires more skill. all of my arguments for hand eye response times, accuracy etc were all muted with a "LOL".

We went back on forth and decided the only fair way to resolve the issue (his suggestion) was to put it to a poll on boards. Which is starting to look a bit one sided :)

You could be right there buddy but the bottom line is my mate clearly said console controller is better hands down and requires more skill. all of my arguments for hand eye response times, accuracy etc were all muted with a "LOL".

only one way to solve it.

Tell your mate he's a noob!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

We went back on forth and decided the only fair way to resolve the issue (his suggestion) was to put it to a poll on boards. Which is starting to look a bit one sided :)

I still remember the old quake 2 days trying to play online, getting used to the control system, 400 ping , WASD and inverted look. It wasnt something that came easy, i had to take allot of time to get used to the setup and eventually found a style of play i was comfortable with. This is no different for controller setup, you need to use it allot to be any good at it.

In essense both take some skill and getting used to, the big difference and advantage a console user has is standardisation. You use one controller you can nearly use them all, most people can pick up a control pad and be playing pretty well in a short time. I dont think that is the same if you have just started pc gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

I am an avid console player, for all games bar CivIV. My pc aint good enough to play modern games on, and I prefer to use a controller. However, the mouse and keyboard are clearly superior to a controller for FPS games. There is no contest there. Still I prefer a controller as its more comfy to use. WASD hurts my hand, and I like analogue movement control. One thing I have noticed is that console players move better in multiplayer games, because they have a slower reaction time, which requires better positioning. Still a mouse and keyboard are miles ahead due to the accuracy of the mouse.

Also, to whoever said that all console games have auto aim. Thats horse crap that can only come from an elitist pc player. Most games have an auto aim option (CoD4 was the exception by forcing a multiplayer auto aim, and that pissed me off hugely). Correct me if I'm wrong, but autoaim is an option in a lot of pc titles too.

I am an avid console player, for all games bar CivIV. My pc aint good enough to play modern games on, and I prefer to use a controller. However, the mouse and keyboard are clearly superior to a controller for FPS games. There is no contest there. Still I prefer a controller as its more comfy to use. WASD hurts my hand, and I like analogue movement control. One thing I have noticed is that console players move better in multiplayer games, because they have a slower reaction time, which requires better positioning. Still a mouse and keyboard are miles ahead due to the accuracy of the mouse.

Also, to whoever said that all console games have auto aim. Thats horse crap that can only come from an elitist pc player. Most games have an auto aim option (CoD4 was the exception by forcing a multiplayer auto aim, and that pissed me off hugely). Correct me if I'm wrong, but autoaim is an option in a lot of pc titles too.

Auto aim was in the daddy of FPS Half Life and later CS or CSS. Its there in the options :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

WASD hurts my hand, and I like analogue movement control.

Boo ****in Hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Maximilian wrote: »

briliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Once Games for Windows really gets going cross platform, I'll happily settle this arguement for any PC gamer ;) I'd take a joypad any day over KB & Mouse (and yes I have used the both of them frequently).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Next someone will make a thread called "Is the world flat, yes or no"

Of course M&kb is better for fps...

• Advertisement

Wow the votes are in and my buddy has admitted defeat :)

Cheers to all who posted

• Registered Users Posts: 45,912 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Keyboard and mouse is better for use, but imo it is completely unrealistic in most games as the speed of movement is too fast and too easy.

IMO I prefer the fact that movement speed can be more easily regulated to a realistic level with a console controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Tauren wrote: »
    Keyboard and mouse is better for use, but imo it is completely unrealistic in most games as the speed of movement is too fast and too easy.

IMO I prefer the fact that movement speed can be more easily regulated to a realistic level with a console controller.

I agree

I would also like to point out that keyboards suck ass. I will not be convinced a keyboard is better for movement than an analog stick.

The mouse is way ahead on speed and accuracy but I hate using a keybord for movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Tauren wrote: »

Good point! I agree with that also....

Vegeta wrote: »
    I agree

I would also like to point out that keyboards suck ass. I will not be convinced a keyboard is better for movement than an analog stick.

The mouse is way ahead on speed and accuracy but I hate using a keybord for movement

the keyboard and mouse work in tandom giving you a more realistic view and sense of the vista in game. Giving you a lot more accuracy not only in shooting but also in moving especially when making hard to do jumps.

Can anyone imagine play CSS with a controller? You'd be pwn'd in seconds due to the freedom of movement you have with the kyb/mse combo.

pf

the keyboard and mouse work in tandom giving you a more realistic view and sense of the vista in game. Giving you a lot more accuracy not only in shooting but also in moving especially when making hard to do jumps.

Sorry dude and this is in jest, but that's just waffle. :p

A keyboard and mouse give you a more realistic view and sense of vista? Do you work in marketing or something. :pac:

So tell me how does the "realistic view" and "sense of vista" counter that an analog stick is more sensitive than WASD. It takes less digits to use. Its more comfortable.

As I said the mouse is a superior way of shooting, and looking around. The keyboard doesn't affect that

The keyboard is primarily for movement (and inventory access etc) and in my opinion an analog stick is much better at that.

Would be interesting so see the Wii nunchuck thingy used in tandem with a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

keyboard is far better than an analog stick. in every game.
    :cool:

Vegeta:

You hit the nail in the head.. When using the Kyb for moving and the mouse for looking around this gives you a more realistic feel to the game. IMO its easier to use than a toggle which gives off a more jerky feel on the "vista" lol. I dont work in marketing its just the right term to use in that sentance.

using the Wii as a comparison is just silly :)

neil_hosey wrote: »
    keyboard is far better than an analog stick. in every game.
    :cool:

sure thing hot shot

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

using the Wii as a comparison is just silly :)

A) what's a toggle?

B) why is using the nunchuck of the Wii for controlling player movement in an FPS silly.

Advertisement