Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Leftovers Help

• 11-11-2008 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

I made several roast chickens over the weekend for a Sunday lunch for about 10 people, and when I stripped the carcasses afterwards, I was left with quite a lot of shredded roast chicken, mostly the dark, tender meat.

Any suggestions for a good use for them tonight? I usually make soup but would like something different. I would love your recipes and ideas.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭me87_ie

Chicken curry.... my parents always used the dark meat/left overs for that - can't really tell the difference if your curry sauce is nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Do you have any good curry recipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

How about chicken crunch bake thingy? I find it's nicer with the darker meat than breast meat...

Ingredients:
    Handful broccoli (you can use frozen)
    1 whole cooked chicken (Or in your case chicken shreds!)
    2 cans Campbells Condensed Chicken & mushroom Soup
    5 tablespoons mayo
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    Large handful breadcrumbs
    Grated Cheese to top

Blanch broccoli in boiling water for 8 mins, place layer of broccoli in bottom of oven dish.

Pull apart chicken using all the meat but no skin and place in a layer over broccoli.

In another bowl mix the Campbells Chicken Soup, the mayonnaise and curry powder in a bowl. Spread mixture over chicken.

Then mix breadcrumbs and grated cheese in a bowl, place this over top of dish and oven bake for 40 mins.

Serve with crusty bread and a salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Chicken sambos?

Going for more the cosy winter food vibe 6th. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I hope you made plenty of stock too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

There was a similar thread here a while back, but I can't find it.

Anyhoo! What I do is make a soupy/stew. Boil up carcass for about two hours. Take it out, remove all the chicken from the bones & put the meat back in with diced spuds, carrots, onion, celery etc. Boil up for a while and I add in lentils and larger quartered spuds (the other diced potatoes turn to mush & thicken it) and serve when the larger spuds are cooked.

Very winter-ey and it only uses one pot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

What about Chicken and Mushroom Vol a Vonts (sp),they are lovely with baked spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Try Chicken Savoyarde from Tamasin Day Lewis. A cheesey sauce flavoured with french mustard and lots of tarragon - the flavours balance very well and the tarragon doesn't overpower the dish. A layer of breadcrumbs and parmasean as it bakes in the oven gives a great crispy finish, while the chicken stays moist in the sauce. Serve with french beans and boiled spuds.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/513665

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Ok, I defo have to try that chicken savoyarde, it's been mentioned too many times now, must be fab :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

me87_ie wrote: »
    my parents always used the dark meat/left overs for that - can't really tell the difference if your curry sauce is nice :D
    Many chefs pefer the dark meat over breast, more flavour.

I just dry fry the cooked darker meat with no oil and spices, since it is fatty enough already. Then add a little sesame oil on at the end.

If there is a lot you can shred it up finely with your hands, then freeze while still puffed up and airy, this way you can easily tear it apart while frozen and cook directly on a pan, it will defrost quickly as it is so shredded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

I would be thinking along the lines of a pasta dish...I have never tried this particular one - but it sounds nice in my head!

Fry some thinly sliced onion rings until soft. Add in one courgette 'shaved' lengthways with a vegetable peeler so you have long thin strips. Cook these with onions until just tender. Add in your shredded chicken, a chopped garlic clove or two, some thyme, salt & pepper and pour in some single cream. Simmer until the cream has reduced a little and serve with spaghetti/tagliatelle or whatever you have.

Yum. I'm starving now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Pie is your only man here. It's perfect for this.

Buy a packet of frozen pastry
    Boil some peas, sweetcorn, carrots
    Make gravy with some stock (if you have any left), put in yer chicken reduce a little.
    Roll out the pastry and cut circles out of it using a bowl and bake the circles for few mins
    Put the filling into bowls and top with pastry, tah dah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I always turn my left over roast chicken to chicken mayo and make sandwiches for lunch. I just chop up some spring onions, add mayo to the shredded chicken, mix and leave it in a bowl in the fridge. You can crush some garlic into it if you want. I always find my home made chicken mayo much tastier than stuff you get in shops.

Ah right, cosy winter food vibe...nevermind :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

:pWell what did you end up having,and me going to WW.Im drooling,everything sounded
    ummmmeeeyyyyyyy!!!:P

I was tempted by the pie, but didn't have any puff pastry to hand, and am far too lazy to be making home-made puff. :) I went for a bake with broccoli and mushrooms, with a can of condensed soup, topped with breadcrumbs and parmesan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Next time you're at the shop you grab a pack or two of the pastry - doesn't take up much room in the freezer and it's very handy to have.

Homemade sausage rolls (with nice sausages - not the usual 'stuff' that's in manufactured ones), pies, vol-au-vonts (also v good for leftovers or desserts), etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

We use a slightly adapted Annabel Karmel recipe for left over chicken which is as simple as anything ( and kids like it too)@:

Saute chopped onions, add a few chopped mushrooms, then a splash of wine ( doesnt matter which colour), then add chicken, then a cup of chicken stock and a splash of soy sauce. Add frozen peas/sweetcorn ( if you like only). Thicken with some corn flour. Serve with spaghetti or whatever pasta you fancy.

Advertisement