Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to stay in Wicklow - Hiking Weekend

Options
  • 11-11-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

Hi, hope someone can help with this query.

I'm looking for somewhere to stay in Wicklow. From a B&B to a luxury hotel. Basically I want somewhere to spend a relaxing long weekend with girlfriend. But with good opportunities to go hiking. We'll be driving there, but don't want to have to drive too far from our accommodation to walking spots.

I was looking at Brooke Lodge (Macreddin). It's pricey, but booked out for the weekends coming up to Christmas.

Experience staying in places is particularly welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

There's the Glendalough Hotel which would be pretty romantic and there's loads of walks further up the valley. Alternatively there's a hostel in Glendalough as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭donaghs

Thanks Phil. I've done the hostel thing before, but am looking for a bit more comfort (I know the Glendalough Hostel is fancier than the others).

Actually the last time I stayed in the Glendalough An Oige Hostel we went to the Glendalough Hotel for a drink. There had been a Dublin wedding on the previous night (finglas I think they said) and some of the crowd stayed on a second night - a quiet pint it was not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Glendalough Hotel is a bit of a gamble. I've had a couple of good visits, but more bad than good I have to say. If I were you, I'd book into somewhere like Lynams in Laragh for the room and book a table in the Wicklow Heather for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

gotta be Glenmalure Lodge Hotel, good pub,food,fireplace, etc.
    Great walking on its doorstep.
    NB It's the pub/hotel at the crossroads, not the self catering place nearby, (also called Glenmalure Lodge).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭donaghs

Thanks everyone for the responses. Almost everywhere I wanted was booked out for the weekend I wanted, including Woodenbridge Hotel, Glenmalure Lodge B&B, glendalough hotel, etc.

Just checked Lynams and they have vacancies, but we've kind of given up on the idea at this stage. All the effort wasn't wasted though, I'll definitely revisit the idea after Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Glendalough Hotel is a bit of a gamble. I've had a couple of good visits, but more bad than good I have to say. If I were you, I'd book into somewhere like Lynams in Laragh for the room and book a table in the Wicklow Heather for dinner.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Have you cheched out the Ritz in Enniskerry. That place is jazzy !!

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/Powerscourt/Default.htm

Advertisement