Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provisional license form

• 11-11-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Quick question: I don't have an application form to hand, but www.citizensinformation.ie says that I need a medical report as well as an optician's report to get the provisional licence.

Do you definitely need the medical report, or does it depend on any medical conditions you've checked on the application form?

thanks,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

eoin_s wrote: »
    Hi all,

Quick question: I don't have an application form to hand, but www.citizensinformation.ie says that I need a medical report as well as an optician's report to get the provisional licence.

Do you definitely need the medical report, or does it depend on any medical conditions you've checked on the application form?

thanks,

Eoin
    You only require the cr@ppy eye test IIRC. However, you may need to provide a medical report if you have any "weird" medical condition that requires a medical visit. Not sure to be honest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks - I'm sure it will become clear once I get my paws on a form. Did my theory test today anyway, so at least that's one thing ticked off the long to-do list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

With the form you need to hand in your theory test cert, your birth cert, the eye test cert and pay the fee. Also two passport sized photos signed on the back. If your handing it into the civic offices just put it all in an envelope and pop it in their internal mail box in the building. save you taking a ticket and queueing up. You will get the licence posted out to you within a few days.

I done the test in santry so it was really handy. The optician was only around the corner from the test centre which was only around the corner from the civic office. Had it all done in about an hour. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of red tape.

Edit: No medical report needed, although I ticked No to every medical question on the form. They might require a report if you need to click yes to any of the questions.

clown bag wrote: »
    Edit: No medical report needed, although I ticked No to every medical question on the form. They might require a report if you need to click yes to any of the questions.

Brilliant - that's what I was hoping for. Thanks for all the info.

I did the test today in Barrow Street, and I to say that it was a very good set-up. I was a few minutes early and flew through the test, so was actually out the door 5 minutes after I was due to start the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Eoin,

If you have a license for a car you do not need any reports. Just send in your car license in with the application for the provisional.

Ro

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Eoin,

If you have a license for a car you do not need any reports. Just send in your car license in with the application for the provisional.

Ro

Sweet - even better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Eoin,

Ro
    And they send you the Provisional License with your car license back in the post? And you drive around with no car License for a few days?

I wouldn't advise sending your car License...

And they send you the Provisional License with your car license back in the post? And you drive around with no car License for a few days?

Why not? I did it when getting my Bike license!

Sure, when you pass your test you need to send off your provisional to get a full license. No difference there, is there? You'd still be driving around with no license. And if you are getting your car and bike license combined, which is normal, you'd have no licenses at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I did the test today in Barrow Street, and I to say that it was a very good set-up. I was a few minutes early and flew through the test, so was actually out the door 5 minutes after I was due to start the test.

yeah, I have to admit the test centre in santry was brilliant. I was 30 mins early and he let me walk right in. 2 girls then took my details and showed me to the computer. Everyone was really friendly and professional. The girlies were kinda hawt too :) Was 5 minutes doing the test and got the results and cert couple of minutes later. I left scratching my head and feeling kinda bemused. I'm not use to such efficient and friendly service in Dublin. Anyway, thumbs up from me for the Santry test centre. The girl in the optician and the bloke on reception in the civic office were sound and helpful too, sorting me out straight away. It was a really weird morning. I went home with nothing to moan about. :eek:

p.s, Rosie is correct, if you already have a licence hand it in and they send you a new updated one with the A licence part stamped. Just stick a couple of photos in the envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

U only need a medical if ur goin for a truck licence or if u have a medical problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

You keep your full licence and get a new provisional in the post but they do need to see your full licence if you go to the tax office, if you are posting you will need to send it off and get both back i think.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    You keep your full licence and get a new provisional in the post but they do need to see your full licence if you go to the tax office, if you are posting you will need to send it off and get both back i think.

I went to the tax office in the end, and just showed them my full B license. As Steffano2002 said, I only needed the eye sight report - no medical one needed unless you have to tick any of the boxes on the application form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi All
    My Girlfriend's third provisional is coming to an end.
    I thought I heard that there are some strange stipulations with going onto a fourth.
    I know that she must now submit an application for the new "learners" permit but I cant seem to locate the form.
    Also, does she have to do another eye test, etc... ?

Cheers

HB

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Hi All
    I thought I heard that there are some strange stipulations with going onto a fourth.
    I know that she must now submit an application for the new "learners" permit but I cant seem to locate the form.

Cheers

HB

Presume you can get the form in a Garda Station or a post office.

As for the eye test and other tests, presume you do not need to go through all that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Hi All

Cheers

HB

I think she has to show that she's recently done a test or has a applied for the test before she can get any more permits.

Advertisement